Gibson Brands Forums

If you are too stupid to learn guitar... Try the Bass

Rabs

I didn't figure it was but I so rarely get to mouth off about bass playing these days.

I also love the bass... In fact I even have a track online where I play the bass along to Never Can Say Goodbye by the Jackson 5.. So much fun to play...

See what you think of my playing then.

And I'll just drop this here... this song (and most Zep songs) are nothing without this guy...

Yeah man, one of my favourite songs of all time (and players) and its thanks to that amazing bass part... [thumbup]

John Paul Jones was and still is 10 times the musician Jimmy Page ever was.

Well... 10X might be a bit of a stretch. Maybe .07X. [biggrin]

But what constitutes, "musician"? Technical prowess? Ability to read and write music? John Baldwin was perhaps more inclined than Page in those regards. But "musician" also requires instinct, soul, taste.... with these things in mind, nobdoy had/has anything on Page.

[wink]

I have 2 basses which I use for recording. But I am NOT a bassist.

With Guitar I can play 'on the beat rhythm' (especially with ska tunes) but as a soloist I play across the beat. With bass it has to be 'on the beat' all the time (unless you're a genius like Phil Lesh).

If the bass line is simple enough I can play bass. If I want to explore and vary the bassline I end up playing across the beat again and messing it up. So if I have to play bass I keep it simple.

One more thing about bass. When I play bass I get a completely different enjoyment from it. I suppose its a bassist's groove, and it feels PDG!

Seeing John Entwistle above reminds me he considered himself a 'bass guitarist' not a 'bass player' or 'bassist'. I think there truly was a distinction for him, he felt like he was a guitarist in the band who played 'lead bass' or something of that nature, and the bottom end was really anchored by the bass drums.

I played bass a lot early on in my musical journey, and I was definitely influenced by John and also Paul McCartney. But Paul is a very melodic player, and I don't think he's a traditional 'bassist' either.

When I play bass now, what I try to do is listen to what the song calls for. If a simple part is what it needs, then that's what I give it. I can still play some passing tones or little transitional parts when the chords change but I try to do so tastefully and in a way that only helps the song.

Can I just say... This was never meant to be a thread about slagging bass players off... Of course I know a good bass when I hear it.. And to be a good bass player is as important if not more important for rhythm.... It was just a funny clip :)

BUT that guy from Who sure could play

LOL! Why would anyone take away "slagging off bass players" from your thread? We all know that a solid bass player is the difference between a tight band and a train wreck.

The Simpsons clip made me giggle. I shared it with a bass player friend of mine, and he loved it.

Well... 10X might be a bit of a stretch. Maybe .07X. [biggrin]

But what constitutes, "musician"? Technical prowess?

[wink]

The ability to play a solo in the same key and time signatures that the rest of the band is playing in would be a good start.

But "musician" also requires instinct, soul, taste.... with these things in mind, nobdoy had/has anything on Page.

Agreed 100%

The ability to play a solo in the same key and time signatures that the rest of the band is playing in would be a good start.

Are you saying that Page could not do that? I don't buy that for a second.

Unless he was hammered then who here could do that properly?

Any chimp can play in key and stay in time if sober. It ain't rocket science.

Agreed 100%

I had a monkey for a bass player once, and he was actually better when he had a few under his belt...

I like to have a laugh occasionally at bass player jokes, but I actually think it takes more musical skill than playing guitar. A guitarist can just learn chord shapes and get by, while a bassist needs to have a decent grasp of music theory. I started playing bass in March and found it very challenging. I can find the right notes in a given key easily in a lot more places now because I actually have to think about where I am on the fretboard. You can't just rely on your movable guitar scale shapes with bass because you have to be playing low enough notes most of the time. It really helped me learn a lot of scales in the open position.

I had a monkey for a bass player once, and he was actually better when he had a few under his belt...

Now that is funny.

We had a bass player once also. Unfortunately a few under his belt meant he was playing in another dimension of time. Didn't work out too well. Forced me into trying to play the damn thing for the next 2 years.

I just faked it though. Non players didn't know the difference. They thought I was good. lol.

Damn fools.

Agreed 100%

I'm saying he rarely did. Sloppy, crappy playing is par for the guy.

Here's one of his most famous studio solos. Horrible.

Here he is live... even worse...

Sloppy, crappy playing is par for the guy.

Here he is live... even worse...

All I can say is listen to the Heartbreaker solo at half speed and tell me what you think...especially the part starting at around 2:20. I guess you could argue that anyone would sound different at half speed...you can tell me what you think.

Ha ha, my thoughts? A 6 string is easier to play then a bass because I don't know the slightest thing about Bass. I can play a 12 string and 6 but any more or less strings then those are a foreign language to me. Why do they put 7 or 8 strings on a guitar? I don't know and I've heard bass players in concerts that blew my mind. Did not know you could get one to sound that amazing. Wish I could remember this one guy I heard but it was like he invented the thing.

Archived