Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Vintage v. Hummingbird Vintage

Buc McMaster

ATTENTION! This is not a performance video! Not intended to generate any controversy!

Masterbuilt 80/20 lights, half step down, approx. 6 hours play time on each/Art Deco Trias 1.25 faux shell pick/24" from Blue Yeti Mic/iMovie on Mac

Vintage v. Vintage

Pardon the sometimes sloppy pick work.......it's early in the morning. I will withhold my impressions so as not to taint yours............

Nice comparison! Here is my take. The Bird is more mellow, with less elevated bass and treble compared to the J-45. It kind of has a "wall of sound" feel to it. Not as much note seperation. I hear the J-45 as having more bass AND more cutting treble. It is also louder.

I can't pick a favorite, like them both.

Lars

Nice comparison! Here is my take. The Bird is more mellow, with less elevated bass and treble compared to the J-45. It kind of has a "wall of sound" feel to it. Not as much note seperation. I hear the J-45 as having more bass AND more cutting treble. It is also louder.

I can't pick a favorite, like them both.

Lars

I agree with Lars exactly on this, except that the J-45 is my clear preference (for some reason).

I agree with these opinions. The 45 is definitely louder and has more of an "in-your-face" sound, better note separation and has a much drier tone........more fundamental, I think. The Hummingbird is warm and subdued, not as much sparkle and presence.

Next Up: a genuine performance video of the Marty Robbins classic, El Paso. My apologies in advance to any that may mistakenly click on a thread they'd rather not see.

I agree with these opinions. The 45 is definitely louder and has more of an "in-your-face" sound, better note separation and has a much drier tone........more fundamental, I think. The Hummingbird is warm and subdued, not as much sparkle and presence.

Next Up: a genuine performance video of the Marty Robbins classic, El Paso. My apologies in advance to any that may mistakenly click on a thread they'd rather not see.

I'm a big fan of the J45 Vintage. Agree that it is a more forward, fundamental sound but that's what I like about the old J45s. Part of my preference is that I have played one of the new Vintage models and loved it. Would love to spend some time with a Hummingbird Vintage as well. Sometimes there are two right answers B)

Next Up: a genuine performance video of the Marty Robbins classic, El Paso.

I've been waiting for that one since I first saw one of your performances here years ago. I hope you're doing all of Grady Martin's solo licks on a second track, if necessary.

Truly one of the all-time great western ballads. Surprisingly, I can still remember most of the lyrics almost 60 years later, and sing them periodically just to wind my wife up. She just sits there and rolls her eyes, effectively saying "how can you still remember all that crap?"

How can you not like a song that starts with "Out in the West Texas town of El Paso, I fell in love with a Mexican girl...?"

I've been waiting for that one since I first saw one of your performances here years ago. I hope you're doing all of Grady Martin's solo licks on a second track, if necessary.

Truly one of the all-time great western ballads. Surprisingly, I can still remember most of the lyrics almost 60 years later, and sing them periodically just to wind my wife up. She just sits there and rolls her eyes, effectively saying "how can you still remember all that crap?"

How can you not like a song that starts with "Out in the West Texas town of El Paso, I fell in love with a Mexican girl...?"

Yet another example of nearly identical experiences happening without much physical proximity. Eerie😖

Thanks for comparison take on the 2 most loved and played Gibson Acoustic Buc!

My take is?..................depending on the tune and style of playing you do?

The 45 has the in your face appeal that wont get lost in the mix if you like the bass/treble thing going on.

Now.....the Bird is totally on its own here with a subtle appeal and attack that is not harsh but definitely more dynamic than the 45 that's for sure.

I'd bet on the Bird here no doubt. \:D/

Trans

I hope you're doing all of Grady Martin's solo licks on a second track, if necessary.

[/quote

This a a tremendous song. I can't wait til you post your cover of this classic.

I'm a big fan of the J45 Vintage. Agree that it is a more forward, fundamental sound but that's what I like about the old J45s. Part of my preference is that I have played one of the new Vintage models and loved it. Would love to spend some time with a Hummingbird Vintage as well. Sometimes there are two right answers B)

I've only played one of each. I liked the HB but the the J45 Vintage really struck a 'chord' with me. I purchased it several weeks ago - no looking back - no buyer's remorse.

I can't say if it is better/worse etc... but it has provided the most enjoyment of any guitar (there have been many) that I have owned. Currently, my other two instruments

are a Martin D28 Marquis and a Gibson F5 'Goldrush' mandolin. The Vintage takes a back seat to neither.

I believe many will think in terms of volume. On a recording i'm unsure that it really represent the real output, but even if it did... it comes to what you are playing.

For bluegrass/picking and bluesy style, j45 seem to have more brightness and it gives it an edge.

But on strumming parts in my opinion, the bird is hands down the winner here. Its sound is mellow, rich and more balanced than a j45 for this kind of tune ; you could attack the strings harder and still get a balance sound while j45 might end with a pan sound. In my opinion for ballads the j45 wouldnt compete with a bird either, too bright and less balanced.

I'm curious about recording setup because in the 2 first sequences the difference in volume is huge and does not sound natural (more like if j45 was over-amp).

Dont have your knowledge though but i'm just giving my feeling.

Edit : listened to it again ; on the 2nd sequence (1st J45 sequence) sound is suddenly higher, it is very noticeable cause we hear your body and chair moves. So it does not seem to be the same setup ?? I'm glad still that you posted this, it is interesting.

An idle observation at best, but I've found that technique can get a fair approximation of the sound that short-scale 'bird fans favor from a J-45, but no amount of technique can make a short-scale 'bird sound like anything other than another short-scale 'bird. Put simply, the J-45 does more. That may be heresy to some, but - 😏 -.

I'm curious about recording setup because in the 2 first sequences the difference in volume is huge and does not sound natural (more like if j45 was over-amp).

Yes, there is a dramatic difference between the first two segments, but they were recorded one right after the other with no change in positioning of the mic nor myself. [confused] Can't explain it.

You can clearly hear the punch and drive that the J45 has

Sure can. The 45 is sounds very "alive" and immediate. Can't help but wonder how much of this is the red spruce top versus the sitka on the Hummingbird.........

Thanks for listening, all. Maybe someone out there is on the fence about choosing a J-45 or a Hummingbird and a direct comparison might help tilt them one way of the other.

This good test (taste) illustrates the classic difference between the 2.

The Bird being tighter and quieter more elegant - while the 45 has deeper projection and roars like sitting on the farm fence.

Intriguing thing about these models (I have the pair here) is that they both connect to some primal sonic voice, but deliver them in each their fashion.

It could be said that the Bird has this sweet lady-like coating, but only till you find out what's goin' on below.

Where the 45 is raw by definition till you sense its deeper layers and get in touch with the mellowness there.

The thing is that both these short mahogany guitars have warmth, sweetness and raw core. They just present it with unalike personalities.

Well 'just' isn't the right word here.

Because exactly that variation is so alluring, subtle yet clear. Laymen might not get it, but we hear it as we see red from brown.

Could not pick or prefer one for the other. The dilemma is too big.

Ouh, , , and Birds always have thinner trebs.

This good test (taste) illustrates the classic difference between the 2.

The Bird being tighter and quieter more elegant - while the 45 has deeper projection and roars like sitting on the farm fence.

Intriguing thing about these models (I have the pair here) is that they both connect to some primal sonic voice, but deliver them in each their fashion.

It could be said that the Bird has this sweet lady-like coating, but only till you find out what's goin' on below.

Where the 45 is raw by definition till you sense its deeper layers and get in touch with its mellowness.

The thing is that both these short mahogany guitars have warmth, sweetness and raw core. They just present it with unalike personalities.

Well 'just' isn't the right word here.

Because exactly that variation is so alluring, subtle yet clear. Laymen might not get it, but we hear it as we see red from brown.

Could not pick or prefer one for the other. The dilemma is too big.

Ouh, , , and Birds always have thinner trebs.

Ditto

Archived