Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Vintage v. Hummingbird Vintage

Buc McMaster

You might get a very different feeling after watching this.......

[confused] A very different feeling? That demo is flesh-on-the-strings strumming, an entirely different sound from both instruments.........and not my style at all. Fingerpicking and thumb strumming is all well and good, but I'm a heavy-handed banger..........my style is more of an attack on the guitar than tender caressing. I think that comes from my background on electric guitar, standing in front of 100W Marshall Super Leads and 4X12 cabinets..........didn't know what the hell I was doing but it was nasty and loud!

[confused] A very different feeling? That demo is flesh-on-the-strings strumming, an entirely different sound from both instruments.........and not my style at all. Fingerpicking and thumb strumming is all well and good, but I'm a heavy-handed banger..........my style is more of an attack on the guitar than tender caressing. I think that comes from my background on electric guitar, standing in front of 100W Marshall Super Leads and 4X12 cabinets..........didn't know what the hell I was doing but it was nasty and loud!

I enjoyed the other comparison, but I can't imagine strumming a J-45 or a 'bird without a pick. Totally different sound from what I'm after.

Buc's style is more like mine, but both comparisons are useful.

Buc, there really is something special about this pairing of Gibson. You now have both the skills, and two of the best tools available to acoustic guitarists for making beautiful music. This is a true blessing! I bet your guitars would sound great together, either in a live setting or as overdubs in a recording.

Lars

I meant, in terms of volume. In the video i linked the volume is about same for both guitar, even though the j45 sounds still a bit brighter and slightly higher in volume they are still very close, unlike in your video.

This good test (taste) illustrates the classic difference between the 2.

The Bird being tighter and quieter more elegant - while the 45 has deeper projection and roars like sitting on the farm fence.

Intriguing thing about these models (I have the pair here) is that they both connect to some primal sonic voice, but deliver them in each their fashion.

It could be said that the Bird has this sweet lady-like coating, but only till you find out what's goin' on below.

Where the 45 is raw by definition till you sense its deeper layers and get in touch with its mellowness.

The thing is that both these short mahogany guitars have warmth, sweetness and raw core. They just present it with unalike personalities.

Well 'just' isn't the right word here.

Because exactly that variation is so alluring, subtle yet clear. Laymen might not get it, but we hear it as we see red from brown.

Could not pick or prefer one for the other. The dilemma is too big.

Ouh, , , and Birds always have thinner trebs.

Probably the best description of the differences between the two I've ever heard. Thanks.

Em7, you could probably get a gig in the Marketing Department at Bozeman.

Although, we as a forum have been hard on them occasionally - I'm sure they'd recognize your shining, burning love of these 2 models.

(Although I have to admit a slight preference to the Sports Illustrated Swim Suit variety.)

Probably the best description of the differences between the two I've ever heard. Thanks.

Em7, you could probably get a gig in the Marketing Department at Bozeman.

Although, we as a forum have been hard on them occasionally - I'm sure they'd recognize your shining, burning love of these 2 models.

(Although I have to admit a slight preference to the Sports Illustrated Swim Suit variety.)

Ou thank you, sir.

Both my parents were sales-people - brother still is.

I became the black sheep, who disappeared into beat-music wilderness.

But tjaaaa, , , maybe there could be stool in that department.

Sitting in an office painting words about the different models - no, not an office, , , a little acoustic groove-lounge.

they both sound great, the hummingbird a bit more rich, probably due to the sitka top and having been played for months as opposed to a few days play for the j45. My j45 vintage has certainly become much more dimensional with 8 months of heavy play.

they both sound great, the hummingbird a bit more rich, probably due to the sitka top and having been played for months as opposed to a few days play for the j45. My j45 vintage has certainly become much more dimensional with 8 months of heavy play.

That was my impression also. The J-45 sounded quite stiff and would it be nice to hear it more opened up .... but then again, isnt that the whole point of toasting the top to make it sound more opened up ?

yes, but it still had a "glassy" sound to it when i first received it, although not as much as uncooked red spruce tops. Probably didn't help comparing it to a 1946 southern jumbo i acquired just weeks before...

ATTENTION! This is not a performance video! Not intended to generate any controversy!

Masterbuilt 80/20 lights, half step down, approx. 6 hours play time on each/Art Deco Trias 1.25 faux shell pick/24" from Blue Yeti Mic/iMovie on Mac

Vintage v. Vintage

Pardon the sometimes sloppy pick work.......it's early in the morning. I will withhold my impressions so as not to taint yours............

Thanks Buc.

Can you believe that both those models have not turned up on my shore yet - only been out for 2 years or so - I liked the look of the toasty J45 and Bird as soon as they came out. While neither are ideal for fingerpicking blues, I could do it on the J45 (I have a Standard) and I have played some used standard Birds and a TV recently and the mids (I think, well, something doesn't go) are not strong enough for my playing, but I can hear something in the toasty models, online anyway.

So as a request, and I know you don't want to, but as a special request for fingerpicker/stylers considering one of these 2 guitars and seeing as you have BOTH right there together, well for the moment so this could be urgent with your last few months showing some radical departures.....could you do the same sort of comparison with fingerpicking, even finger strumming? [thumbup] Just so we could hear them together............

BluesKing777.

Thanks for posting - for starters, congrats on acquiring two gorgeous guitars, both in aesthetics and sound! I'm in the middle of trying to choose between a J-45 Vintage or a Hummingbird Vintage, so this kind of candid video is really helpful. I recently played the standard versions of both and was originally leaning toward buying the Hummingbird, but everything that I've read and listened to online piqued my interest in the vintage models. Alas, it's hard to come by both in my area, so I suspect I'll need to work with Music Villa or Wildwood to have them select one.

.....could you do the same sort of comparison with fingerpicking, even finger strumming?

BK if I could I would, but I cannot fingerpick........at all. My digits don't cooperate in that manner........it's all I can do to get a pick on the strings.

I'm in the middle of trying to choose between a J-45 Vintage or a Hummingbird Vintage, so this kind of candid video is really helpful.

Well good! I'm not much of a player but glad that this might have been of some help. The Vintage models are entirely different beasts than standards of the same build. I love 'em both but for the moment I'm favoring the J-45, it being the new kid on the block and all. Besides, it has some catching up to do in the break-in department.......the Hummingbird has several months head start.

Thanks for listening!

Archived