Gibson Brands Forums

Battery drain

Wee Davy

I was recently away from home for a week and foolishly left my guitar on its stand and plugged in. It was therefore connected to my amp although that was not switched on.

Question, is there a drain on the Baggs Element battery under these circumstances or would the amp need to be switched on to complete the circuit?

I ... left my guitar ... plugged in. Is there a drain on the Baggs Element ...?

Yes, there is a drain. All modern active guitar circuits are class A designs, meaning they always draw the same current value when switched on, for instance by the jack switch, regardless of signal level or load. This is how class A works and offers maximum fidelity, in particular lowest distortion.

1496676227[/url]' post='1860121']

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. It's by no means a new battery so I was surprised it still worked at all.

Time for a replacement.

I have the same uncertainty, LR Baggs state 1,000 hours on a fully charged ( new ) battery . I would love to purchase a meter that could be plugged into a jack plug to measure the charge of the battery inside the guitar ( do they make one ??? ) I change the battery on my J45 Standard every six months , used or not

I have the same uncertainty, LR Baggs state 1,000 hours on a fully charged ( new ) battery . I would love to purchase a meter that could be plugged into a jack plug to measure the charge of the battery inside the guitar ( do they make one ??? ) I change the battery on my J45 Standard every six months , used or not

This is sound advice. When I'm on Tech duty I change my artists' batteries in Baggs equipped guitars (mag or Element) every 3 months to err on the safe side, and mine every 6 months.

• 4 years later...

I have a 1994 Gibson Blues King Electro.

It has the Accu-voice preamp, with XLR and 1/4 inch jack.

So far I only use the 1/4" output.   If I unplug the 1/4" from the guitar

but leave the red power button pushed in,  the battery will go dead.

Is there a problem or is it by design?

On 6/5/2017 at 8:02 AM, Buc McMaster said:

The switch for these active onboard systems is in the guitars' output jack: if a cord is plugged in the circuitry is ON and the battery is being used. Hurrah for passive systems!

Exactly, Buc, that's how i understand it.  At a gig, i don't plug a guitar cable in until I'm ready to start playing.