Gibson Brands Forums

So Sliders?

Digger

I mean the little hamburger jiggers!

ZG5Bww9l.jpg

Not an item on menus here that I’ve seen before but twice in the last week I’ve seen them available and so far I haven’t partaken in that particular culinary delight(?)

I understand that they likely come from the US armed forces and the term “slider” pertains to them being so greasy they’d slide right down you throat.

A pub we had lunch at a couple of days ago apparently had them on the menu and I realised when I saw some delivered to a young lady nearby. I wish I’d seen them as I’m curious now (and hungry)

The ones I saw were beef, pulled pork & chicken, one of each

So any experiences worth relating about these slippery little devils?

Rob, I grew up in Georgia eating these. Krystal cheeseburgers were 25 cents, and we would pull up to the drive-thru, in a car full of teenagers and order 20, or 50, or 100!

They are basic. Meat, cheese (or not), onion, mustard, pickle on a soft fluffy roll.

Heaven! :)

Krystals is a chain of burger stores; mostly in the southern states of the US. There are versions of Krystals all over the US; White Castle, etc.

Nobody called them sliders back then. And perhaps that term applies to something other than what I speak of.

We just called 'em Krystals.

We don't have them out here in California.

I miss them terribly. :(

krystals.jpg

We eat them all the time. My kid loves them and they are often on kid menus here in the US. Sam burger. There will be two on the kids menu but they cone in three or four in the adult menu. Some places you can mix chicken, beef, pork. I'm talking about good ones in real restaurants... not the Krystals which are little pieces of questionably grey meat... though oddly tasty nonetheless.

Rob, I grew up in Georgia eating these. Krystal cheeseburgers were 25 cents, and we would pull up to the drive-thru, in a car full of teenagers and order 20, or 50, or 100!

They are basic. Meat, cheese (or not), onion, mustard, pickle on a soft fluffy roll.

Krystals is a chain of burger stores; mostly in the southern states of the US. There are versions of Krystals all over the US; White Castle, etc.

Nobody called them sliders back then. And perhaps that term applies to something other than what I speak of.

krystals.jpg

Sounds like I may have missed something when I was growing up Brad!

We eat them all the time. My kid loves them and they are often on kid menus here in the US. Sam burger. There will be two on the kids menu but they cone in three or four in the adult menu. Some places you can mix chicken, beef, pork. I'm talking about good ones in real restaurants... not the Krystals which are little pieces of questionably grey meat... though oddly tasty nonetheless.

I imagine the ones we get here would be good quality and now Im on a mission to find out!

I can remember when I was 18, we had a hamburger/take away place in town where the burgers tasted like nothing you see these days. I’d invariably eat one and then go back and have another.

Years ago I went back out of nostalgia and found a Vietnamese bloke there, and it just didn’t seem right as the original was Italian. Hamburgers were Meh!

I grew up in the Twin Cities area and remember my mother bringing home bags with 20-30 burgers from White Castle. It was also a very popular place around 2:00 AM when the bars closed. I always make a point of eating there dueling the rare occasions I make it up that way. I also ate quite often at Krystalls when I lived in the Southeast for 10 years. They had a Krystals in San Antonio for awhile so I could get my fix while passing through, but it closed several years ago.

krystals.jpg

Sorry Brad I had to come back to this.....100?

Did you mean a car full of teenagers or a bus full’’’’Grin~

How many could you eat each?

Looking at what I’ve seen I reckon 3 would stop me now!

I grew up in the n the Twin Cities area and remember my mother bringing home bags with 20-30 burgers from White Castle. It was also a very popular place around 2:00 AM when the bars closed. I always make a point of eating there dueling the rare occasions I make it up that way. I also ate quite often at Krystal's when I lived in the Southeast for 10 years. They had a Krystal's in San Antonio for awhile so I could get my fix while passing through, but it closed several years ago.

I guess I’m sort of moving into hamburgers a little now.

The only national chains for hamburgers here have been McDonalds and Hungry Jack's which is Burger King by another name as that name was taken when they opened here.

I can’t abide McDonalds I just think the product is awful and I’ve tried Hungry Jacks a few times over the years and their claim

s about being better are rubbish.

I had no choice recently but to get something at Hungry Jacks so I ordered one with bacon but struggled to eat it! I had grease running down through my beard and felt nauseous for ages afterwards. Their claim that “The Burgers are Better”, obviously aimed at Maccas but I’m moved to ask if they are better, how bad must they have been before?

I do have fond memories of a burger chain Wimpeys in Britain so they must have been pretty good in the early 1960’s.

Sorry Brad I had to come back to this.....100?

Did you mean a car full of teenagers or a bus full’’’’Grin~

How many could you eat each?

Looking at what I’ve seen I reckon 3 would stop me now!

They are quite small Rob. And the hamburger meat is very thin as well.

I reckon I must have eaten at least 7 or 8 at one sitting. And I'm not a big guy.

I saw many friends eat 10+.

You get a car full of hungry guys and 100 is not that hard to polish off.

And no Dig, you didn't miss much.

It's mostly nostalgic memory's of a time gone by that makes me so fond of them.

And the fact I haven't had one in 30+ years.

They're not that great.

......unless it's late at night.....and you have the munchies...... [tongue]

I guess I’m sort of moving into hamburgers a little now.

The only national chains for hamburgers here have been McDonalds and Hungry Jack's which is Burger King by another name as that name was taken when they opened here.

I can’t abide McDonalds I just think the product is awful and I’ve tried Hungry Jacks a few times over the years and their claim

s about being better are rubbish.

I had no choice recently but to get something at Hungry Jacks so I ordered one with bacon but struggled to eat it! I had grease running down through my beard and felt nauseous for ages afterwards. Their claim that “The Burgers are Better”, obviously aimed at Maccas but I’m moved to ask if they are better, how bad must they have been before?

I do have fond memories of a burger chain Wimpeys in Britain so they must have been pretty good in the early 1960’s.

McDonalds and Burger King are about the only national chains for hamburgers. I can't remember the last time I ate at either of those. There are quite a few regional chains throughout the U.S. On the rare occasions I eat a fast-food hamburger, it's usually at Whataburger, Carl's Jr. or In-N-Out Burger.

McDonalds and Burger King are about the only national chains for hamburgers. I can't remember the last time I ate at either of those. There are quite a few regional chains throughout the U.S. On the rare occasions I eat a fast-food hamburger, it's usually at Whataburger, Carl's Jr. or In-N-Out Burger.

Some of the things we see here about your burgers, they look to be quite a challenge!

Some of the things we see here about your burgers, they look to be quite a challenge!

Yeah, there are some places you get a beef patty on a bun and then head to a build-a-bar area where you pile on all the cheese, lettuce, tomatoes,, etc. you want. But I have yet to eat at one that had pineapple slices, fried eggs or beetroot. The one I ate while I was in Sydney was the first and only one. [biggrin]

We have a local family owned place that makes the best burgers. The burgers are pretty huge. The beef and buns are local. And they do cool stuff with them. Sure, you can get a plain one But they have them with cool cheeses, fried eggs,etc. One even has jalapeños and cheese in the middle. Good stuff.

They have sliders all over the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I'm a fan of most things that entail MORE.

When I was a kid there was a fast food restaurant here in Salisbury called Carrols. Maybe once every couple months we would get into the car n get some fries n burgers. We didn't have much $$ so it was pretty special when my parents took us.

krystals.jpg

Krystal burgers are just White Castle knockoffs.

Jack n the Box? Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr isn’t a regional chain. Dairy Queen? Five Guys? Rally’s/Checkers? White Castle isn’t regional, maybe not national but they stretch from at least the East Cosst to at least Indiana, Kentucky.

I mean the little hamburger jiggers!

ZG5Bww9l.jpg

Not an item on menus here that I’ve seen before but twice in the last week I’ve seen them available and so far I haven’t partaken in that particular culinary delight(?)

I understand that they likely come from the US armed forces and the term “slider” pertains to them being so greasy they’d slide right down you throat.

A pub we had lunch at a couple of days ago apparently had them on the menu and I realised when I saw some delivered to a young lady nearby. I wish I’d seen them as I’m curious now (and hungry)

The ones I saw were beef, pulled pork & chicken, one of each

So any experiences worth relating about these slippery little devils?

Sliders isn’t a new name, more people are just using it. My dad was calling White Castle “sliders” back in the early 80s and probably long before that.

They’re just small hamburgers.

I grew up in the Twin Cities area and remember my mother bringing home bags with 20-30 burgers from White Castle. It was also a very popular place around 2:00 AM when the bars closed. I always make a point of eating there dueling the rare occasions I make it up that way. I also ate quite often at Krystalls when I lived in the Southeast for 10 years. They had a Krystals in San Antonio for awhile so I could get my fix while passing through, but it closed several years ago.

MMMMM....White Castle. I crave them occasionally, but I know my limit, which is 3-4. As a kid I would eat 10 of them!

Sliders isn’t a new name, more people are just using it. My dad was calling White Castle “sliders” back in the early 80s and probably long before that.

They’re just small hamburgers.

Yep....sliders, maggot muffins, mighty whiteys, chrome dome, they had a lot of names.

In England we only seem to have MacDonald's (desperate) and Burger King (nicer but harder to find). Other than those two we have to go to your 'one man band' shop, typically an Asian curry or pizza house and they're just frozen ones. The best ones were from a small chain called "Canadian Charcoal Pit". The burgers were lovely and they also did a hot dog in a roll that was a foot long, called a Prairie Dog. They were nice too and they all came wrapped in foil so kept warm.

Yeah, there are some places you get a beef patty on a bun and then head to a build-a-bar area where you pile on all the cheese, lettuce, tomatoes,, etc. you want. But I have yet to eat at one that had pineapple slices, fried eggs or beetroot. The one I ate while I was in Sydney was the first and only one. [biggrin]

No mate, were just innovaters!

You didnt like the beetroot & egg? I love them but you have to be careful with the beetroot it stains if you drop it on yourself I dont like the pineapple myself, rather that with ice cream~

They have sliders all over the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I'm a fan of most things that entail MORE.

When I was a kid there was a fast food restaurant here in Salisbury called Carrols. Maybe once every couple months we would get into the car n get some fries n burgers. We didn't have much $$ so it was pretty special when my parents took us.

Good memories!

Umm, sliders. We didn't call them that back in the day, as far as I recall. Lots of good memories eating Royal Castle and White Castle back in the day. Some new gourmet versions of sliders were a bit of a culinary fad here for a while, maybe still. You can still get White Castle burgers at the grocery store, frozen. They are absolutely terrible if you microwave them. If you steam them there are pretty good, but not even close to having them freshly made. If Dave Thomas saw one he'd say "where's the beef?" because there's not much. I think if you didn't grow up eating them you may not like them much.

In the Chicago area where I grew up "sliders" were only sold at White Castle. They were open very late, and often hit the spot after a gig at 2:00 or 3:00 AM when you were starving and perhaps had consumed many beers. Very inexpensive and you could easily down 4-6 of them. If I recall they had cheese, onion, and pickle on them - none of which was of good quality and the meat was certainly questionable. Not something I would ever go out of my way to get, but at 3:00AM when nothing else was open they would do.

Since then the small almost bite sized hamburger has popped up in various restaurants and bars and are generally known as "sliders" some quite expensive with Kobe beef etc. and various trimmings. But to me the term will always mean cheap and not too good, but available when needed. The White Castles seemed to be mostly located on the southside of Chicago and south suburbs, not very many north of the loop.

Most fast-food burger joints in the USA have pre-cooked burgers, frozen and they pop them in a microwave before serving it to you. Very consistent nationwide that way. Wendy's chain claims they never freeze their meat and it is somewhat different than the McDonalds or Burger King. About 10 year ago a new chain popped up called Five Guys, and they actually have raw burger and you can see someone actually hand packing it and putting it on a grill. They are quite good, but much more expensive and slower than the "fast-food" joints.

Wendy's chain claims they never freeze their meat and it is somewhat different than the McDonalds or Burger King.

I worked at a Wendy's when I was a kid. The meat was delivered every other day (or maybe daily, hard to remember that...). It came in 20 lb boxes. The ground beef inside wrapped in plastic, unfrozen. It was a solid 20lb block of meat. We stored it in a refrigerator. There is a patty press in the back. I had to load and feed the meat into the hopper and operate the press to make the square patties. Then they went into a bin to be cooked that day, usually by me. They were never frozen in the store.

They were cooked on the griddle fresh. The trick was to estimate demand and have just enough fresh off the grill burgers ready for the orders. You always had to overestimate so you didn't run out or have long wait times. What that meant was there were often burgers that were fully cooked and no customer. Those went into a bin/tray and were used to make the chili for the next day.

Another good semi fast food joint is Steak and Shake. They are kind of like a full size, better version of a White Castle burger. Good fries too. Haven't seen one of those since I was in college.

Archived