Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson model at CES

Rabs

I went once about 10 years ago. If I get a ticket it will probably be in hopes of getting some free swag but the ticket is $50

Ehh dunno

Oh no man, free. No pay. Fender and Gibson and Martin owe me a ticket for every NAMM since like 1977, but I don't get them!

rct

Back on topic, I was boring my wife with guitar talk last night and I told her that the Firebird was Gibson's last successful design and that was back in the 60s (even if it did pretty much flop when introduced).

She asked why that was and I told her that everything else they've released has kind of a dud as far as sales. Maybe the 336/339 group is an exception but that's still a late 50s design shrunk down.

Seeing these two latest offerings really drives home the point that Gibson needs to find some new design talent.

Take the bottom one, add a Tune-O-Matic bridge and a TP6 tailpiece and that would sell quite well for Gibson. Handsome, traditional but not the same old stuff, either.

It's hard to tell from the picture but maybe move the knobs a bit closer together like they have on the Les Paul Faded double cutaway I believe you have.

I always thought take that double cutaway faded guitar, make the body about 3" larger and give it an attractive finish - that would sell.

You could have a plank style and then a carved top for different price points.

Take the bottom one, add a Tune-O-Matic bridge and a TP6 tailpiece and that would sell quite well for Gibson. Handsome, traditional but not the same old stuff, either.

It's hard to tell from the picture but maybe move the knobs a bit closer together like they have on the Les Paul Faded double cutaway I believe you have.

I always thought take that double cutaway faded guitar, make the body about 3" larger and give it an attractive finish - that would sell.

You could have a plank style and then a carved top for different price points.

I always thought this was an interesting design

Fv0mUoI.jpg

I forget what NAMM stands for (North American Music Manuf?), but I thought it was supposed to be primarily about musical instruments. The CES (Consumer Electronics Show) is anything electronic consumers might use. Radios, TVs, answering machines, home computers, blenders, microwaves, etc. etc.

Believe Gibson bought a large electronics company lately (can't remember who it was) but at the time they stated they were branching out into more stereo and sound equipment and not just guitars/banjos etc. So the move makes some sense to me. A lot of press I think misinterprets their decision to mean they are failing in the guitar business and I just don't think that is the case. They may be carrying a lot of debt, but many large successful companies have done that and not failed.

As to the original post neither of those new models looks like something I would buy - but at my age I don't think I'm really their target market anymore. Kids today probably want something different than LP, SG, and 335s like us old traditionalists prefer. That first one vaguely reminds of the guitar Brian Jones used to play in the Stones early days - just more pointy. [sneaky]

Back on topic, I was boring my wife with guitar talk last night and I told her that the Firebird was Gibson's last successful design and that was back in the 60s (even if it did pretty much flop when introduced).

She asked why that was and I told her that everything else they've released has kind of a dud as far as sales. Maybe the 336/339 group is an exception but that's still a late 50s design shrunk down.

Seeing these two latest offerings really drives home the point that Gibson needs to find some new design talent.

That applies to all traditional guitar brands. Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, etc. It's not them it's us.

I'm with you. But... almost every guitar brand are compelled (by us ultimately) to have a model that looks like a Tele, a Les Paul, a Strat etc.

You said yourself that the Firebird took quite a while to catch on. We are all far to conservative about guitar design.

Photoshoped yes, but very difficult to put in production.

The SG Diablo does look very cool which is kind of close to this design.

That's funny cos I thought it was photoshopped when I first saw it.. It isn't.. It was made by a luthier.. I can find the build thread for you if you want (if photobucket hasn't killed it).

Actually I just went and found it anyway :) And yes.. Its very impressive work indeed.

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/a-one-off-lp-sg-meld-guitar.325091/

VUQrUHR.jpg

J3eGY9N.jpg

py3L8L6.jpg

U5hfc3U.jpg

15d4lTB.jpg

Are they not realizing that the 80's have passed? I wish the music scene was better now, like it was then. It's not great around here any more. Although I have three Flying V's, that one's just a little bit too wrong for me. I thought it looked like the Star Trek symbol too. I like the classic styles. Maybe younger guitarists will like them more than I do.

Looks like the Gibson Eye guitar, except for the body depth. Guess they already tried it.

I just had to go look that up.. YIKES....

While the shape is sort of similar.. The guitar I posted is quite special in the way the maple cap fits so its full body size then goes in to the horns.. That's really clever...

That eye guitar looks like one of those Airline guitars Jack White plays. Sorta..

aK9xLoh.jpg?1

Archived