Gibson Brands Forums

Bonsai advice

Rabs

I know we have a few enthusiasts here so thought id ask..

My mum has this tree. All the leaves went a month or so ago.. Im assuming this is its winter behaviour and it will come back too life when the days get longer again?

Or is it just dead?

k6YjNsX.jpg

I know we have a few enthusiasts here so thought id ask..

My mum has this tree. All the leaves went a month or so ago.. Im assuming this is its winter behaviour and it will come back too life when the days get longer again?

Or is it just dead?

Grim reaper came calling.

(my best estimate not having had the chance to actually examine the patient).

Darn it.. Ok cheers...

There is a reason I ask though since on the back of the feed bottle it says do NOT use feed during off season or something along those lines and shows on the back that its between about December and February...

Guest Farnsbarns

This appears to be a fig. Ficus retusa (I think, tricky without leaves) which is a tropical plant. Must be kept away from temps lower than about 10c. Looks like it's indoors so that's fine.

Needs lots of light, a windowsill is good as long as it's not drafty.

Must be kept away from heating such as radiators and fires.

This species tends to drop it's leaves when anything changes, even moving it across the room.

Also drops leaves if over or under watered.

The soil is completely wrong. Needs to be in very fast draining soil. I can help with that.

Now then. Is it alive? Scratch a little tiny bit of bark off towards a branch tip. If it's green that's the cambium layer and it has life. If not, probably dead. Scratch a little further down the branch towards the trunk, and again and again until you find green. No green means "sorry buddy, ya trees dead".

It looks very dry in the picture. Put the entire pot in a bowl of water so it just comes to the top of the soil and leave it there until all the bubbles stop. This will ensure water gets into every bit of the root ball.

Does water seem to soak in easily or does it try to run off or round the edges? Could be loss of percolation due to poor soil or being root bound.

How long has she had it?

Also, join my Facebook group. I have over 5k members including some ficus experts. I only do outdoor (proper) bonsai really :D . That's a joke, it's a bonsai thing.

Guest Farnsbarns

Also. I spy a little pot of liquid feed. Do not feed it until it's healthy again. I won't bore with the science but C6H12O20 (carbs) :)

Guest Farnsbarns

I forgot this little twin trunk trident maple. Taken last autumn.

IMG_20171016_171907.jpg?raw=1

And a Shimpaku Juniper while I'm looking at tree pics....

IMG_20170819_193814.jpg?raw=1

Ahhh, and this lonicera nitida...

IMG_20170715_173936.jpg?raw=1

I'd hang back from turning it into kindling until Farns has had a say on the matter...

Best send him a PM, Rabs!

Pip.

Yes I know Farns would be able to help and was waiting for his response and to see if anyone else had an idea...

So, yes it gets watered, actually sprayed... Shes had it for just over a year and yes the leaves fall off if you even look at it in a funny way :) As I say this happened in about December and beacause it has on the bottle "do not feed in winter" or what ever it says I thought maybe it will come back to life when the longer days start kicking in.. It show on the bottle that the winter time is between November-February. Its not near a radiator or a draft.. And if anything cos my parents are getting old its always hot in that house. I will do a scrape tomorrow..

Cheers peeps.

Guest Farnsbarns

Farns is trying to make Rab's mom feel bad...

No I'm not. I just thought a few pics in a bonsai thread would be nice.

Catoneaster...

IMG_20171116_153513.jpg?raw=1

Guest Farnsbarns

Yes I know Farns would be able to help and was waiting for his response and to see if anyone else had an idea...

So, yes it gets watered, actually sprayed... Shes had it for just over a year and yes the leaves fall off if you even look at it in a funny way :) As I say this happened in about December and beacause it has on the bottle "do not feed in winter" or what ever it says I thought maybe it will come back to life when the longer days start kicking in.. It show on the bottle that the winter time is between November-February. Its not near a radiator or a draft.. And if anything cos my parents are getting old its always hot in that house. I will do a scrape tomorrow..

Cheers peeps.

It looks like the soil is very dry. Are you saying it only gets sprayed?

You might be surprised. Submerge the pot to give it a really soak for 10/15mins or until it stops producing bubbles. Then water whenever the top looks dry. It might just bounce back. Give it loads of light.

The scratch test I mentioned before is pretty definitive too.

Archived