Gibson Brands Forums

Unrelenting Les Paul Static... Bad Wiring?

newfiesig

I got a Gibson LP from the demo shop. It is dry here in the desert and I was getting a lot of snap, crackle pop. I tried dryer sheets and it helped. But what seems to have tamed it is a anti static bracelet. Took it to virtually zero pops. Maybe when it warms up outside and we get a little rain it may be fine without the bracelet. 

• 8 months later...
16 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

I don't get a lot of the replies. Static build up and RF interference are quite different. 

I had a USA LP standard with a static problem. 

1, kerp it out of the case for a few weeks. 

2. Polish the guitar with something that leaves a waxy residue (pledge, gibson pump polish, etc) keep it off the fretboard. 

3. Play it, a lot, it will go away fairly soon. 

I’ve been playing the crap out of my 50’s Standard since I got it last year. It still has the infamous GSC (Gibson Static Charge) from the nitro spray application. Nothing to do with electrics and shielding. In fact my newer 2021 Classic and my two week old 2021 R8 both do the same thing. 
I’m hoping it does eventually go away but I don’t think it will be any time soon. Most I’ve talked to say it takes a long time… if at all.

Thankfully it is not very noticeable on any of them. I can live with it. When recording I will gently wipe the guitar down with a dryer sheet. The neck, back, and pick guard. I stay away from the top of course.

Say what y’all will but immediately after shielding the static was gone and been gone ever since.

I guess it does have something to do with electronics as it must be traveling  thru your guitar electronics if it originates on the guitar and you can hear it from your amp. It has to get to the amp somehow.

But either way, it worked for me.

Edited by Lungimsam

• 3 months later...

Nothing to do with shielding. It’s static due to the way they spray on the nitro.  In fact I was told this directly by Gibson as I phoned them about it. 

Edited by LPRich
  • Thanks 1

We've all had to deal with this with new gibson electrics. 

Over time as the nitro cures, and settles in, this will dissipate.

Try a used once anti-static dryer sheet and wipe down where you're most likely to have your hands on it.. 

That will discharge some of it and help to make it a bit less in yer face.

On 5/7/2022 at 3:08 PM, Farnsbarns said:

No. Discharging static will be heard through the amp but is not generated in the electrics and shielding will not help. I think you're talking about RF interference which is quite different to staticy nitro. 

It was definitely static. I know the diff between static, A/C, and rf noise. Usually happened when walking across carpeted floor and then touching neck.

Regardless of where it is generated, it definitely has to pass thru the electronics to be heard coming out of the amp. That is why shielding works. Otherwise my shielding would not have worked.  And like I said, as soon I I shielded up the bass, it stopped.

Edited by Lungimsam

My standard 50's that I just picked up brand new a couple weeks ago has this static problem. Today I played it and it was completely silent. I rubbed my hand along the back control plate which usually has lots of static electricity and nothing happened. It has been raining a fair amount the last 24 hours with a thunderstorm this morning. Maybe thats taken all the static electricity out of the air.