Gibson Brands Forums

So who here has a music degree?

rocketman

I got accepted to Berklee and Eastman for piano but choose not to go to music school. I have great respect for those that got a degree in music. So let us know about it. If you have an advanced degree (Sear, I'm looking at you), tell us whether or not you did a thesis. If so, what was your topic? Or just tell us anything you'd like to share about your degree.

I've been gigging bars since I was 12. I played last night' date=' and am booked pretty much the rest of the year. But I don't know "nuthin". [/quote']

Murph, you remind me of Elvis: "I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to." Of course you're not a loser. Many great artists never went to music school as we all know too well. I also started gigging at a very early age and got an opportunity to do the whole Vegas thing at the age of 18 (I also got an offer on a cruise ship). However I was "forced" away for reasons I'd rather not discuss here. I do enjoy my career as an engineering professor and former NASA rocket scientist, but I always wonder where I'd be if I took that Vegas gig or if I went off to music school instead.

I do respect all musicians, but I'd like to know about the ones who went to music school, just for my own curiosity. Mainly, what compelled them to do it? Also, being a professor now, I'd like to know what students did for their thesis and/or dissertation.

I feel so unwelcome now. I've studied the ins and outs of music theory for years now. I am graduating high school in a few months and will be going to college for music theory and composition. The great thing about guitar is that you really don't need complex music theory. It takes a different kind of expertise.

no school for me,,,,, yet

guitar is a good instrument to learn entirely by yourself (with so many people playing the instrument), in my opinion, really builds a personal style (which is one of the MANY reasons i love music) aswell as the fact that there is more info on guitar playing and guitars in general than any other instrument

ive always wanted to take some music theory for my mandolin playing, get myself into some nice traditional bluegrass bands

I got accepted to Berklee and Eastman for piano but choose not to go to music school. I have great respect for those that got a degree in music. So let us know about it. If you have an advanced degree (Sear' date=' I'm looking at you), tell us whether or not you did a thesis. If so, what was your topic? Or just tell us anything you'd like to share about your degree.

[/quote']

I don't have a degree in music, but my sister did and my mother had a doctorate in music. The things I've learned from them is that unless you want to teach or be a school administrator, there's not many options after college, specific to that degree. My mother became a school administrator and my sister's now singing and playing piano at large hotels in Las Vegas.

I had a friend who did knew a lot about music theory. He tried to teach me, but my mind was always distracted by just wanting to play. I think it's fascinating stuff, but I can only handle the very basics. Like the others said.. the guitar is something you can just pick up and learn.. and I like that.

Well... I wish I hadn't been so stupid that I quit school, seduced by a writing/editing job at 20. I thought it was because I was really good; in retrospect I was competent at that age - and cheap. But it let me keep picking weekends.

I'm not sure a music degree per se is worth beans for a musician or for making a living unless you wanna teach.

But one easily can make that same case for about anything else except "professional" degrees. Nobody's gonna hire you for a rock saloon gig - or in a symphony orchestra - because you have a degree. To teach? Yeah, maybe.

A coupla of months ago I was listening to a Youtube interview with Joe Pass and it just blew me away, not because of his great talent and skill, but because this guy reeeeeally knew his music in a "academic" sense. I wish I did as well.

On the other hand, you get somebody like some of our too-soon-passing elder blues statesmen, and they're great talents and technicians but it's all from inside their heads and hard work.

I remember the old dialog "Do you read music?" - "Not enough to hurt my playing."

Well, I kinda do. I've even written some, notes and all. But I'm a horrid sight reader which cost me some when I was playing in a college orchestra. OTOH, let me hear something, THEN give me the map, and it's nice to refer to up to my own level of talent and skill. Unfortunately my only "talent" is to concentrate and work hard to develop skill.

Music is not a simple subject. Music degrees are one way to learn "something" and to encourage you to look at this aspect or that aspect of music. At best it's freeing and gives a wide platform for further learning. At worst it's a straitjacket for your head. But the same can be said about simply playing in the bedroom for 50- years or doing weekend gigs with whatever pays or a combination of the above.

I guess that about says it. Would I recommend college to a kid who loves music and already is performing? Damned right I would. He'll thank himself down the road even if he ends up selling cars and selling his guitars.

At least, that's the opinion of an old man who learned it's too soon oldt, too late schmardt.

Many people used to go to school just for the education. People pursued an education in music, philosophy, history, political science, etc. People went to school just to master subjects that they enjoyed. I started school as a history major, but I soon realized that I could get a higher paying job with a more technical, business or practical degree and I eventually finished with a degree in Computer Science. Seems like it would have been fun to study music and music theory though. Haven't there been a few "rock stars" that have formal music educations?

Archived