Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall Tube Amp Issue

LPguitarman

My son had a gig last Friday. Set everything up and his Marshall didn't work. It turned on, but the sound was very muffled. The amp is only a few months old. He said it was very hot on stage. He didn't have any time to let it warm up on Standby, but that has never mattered before. Can heat, and possibly high humidity, cause something to not work in the head? When he got it home and tried it the next day, everything was fine.

My son had a gig last Friday. Set everything up and his Marshall didn't work. It turned on, but the sound was very muffled. The amp is only a few months old. He said it was very hot on stage. He didn't have any time to let it warm up on Standby, but that has never mattered before. Can heat, and possibly high humidity, cause something to not work in the head? When he got it home and tried it the next day, everything was fine.

that really sucks. hope he was able to do the gig anyway.

that really sucks. hope he was able to do the gig anyway.

He used the other guitarist's amp, and the other guy just sang. The tone of the other amp sucked, but they got through it. It wasn't a big gig anyway, just getting exposure.

Did your son do anything differently than normal regarding the FX loop at the gig?

Does the amp work on every channel, and did the problem occur regardless of the channel selected at the gig?

He said he didn't do anything different with the set up. Not sure about the different channels, I wasn't there, but I'm guessing he tried all channels.

Anything can be in play here. Intermittent issues are hard to nail down.

1st.. I'd make sure all the tubes are seated firmly.

if it happens again, and the FX Loop is being used, get back there and put a little movement to the cables for the FX loop. See if anything changes. Or Remove the FX completely and see if that helps/restores the volume.

Crap solder joints could be the culprit, once things heat up, things can move around a bit, just enough to make a otherewise ok connection funky.

and good luck with Warranty service. There's a saga I ran into when I first bought my Marshall, it ended ok.. but it was months of BS to get it sorted out, and it was simply an internal fuse that popped. The next time it happened, (and hard to believe that it did..) I brought it to a Marshall service tech, and PAID him to fix it. (Wasn't much) Never blew another internal fuse, but I damn well now know the symptom and how to fix it. IME,, Marshall's Warranty service is abysmal. And I'm gonna assume you guys are probably past the "exchange it for another" option.

Anything can be in play here. Intermittent issues are hard to nail down.

1st.. I'd make sure all the tubes are seated firmly.

if it happens again, and the FX Loop is being used, get back there and put a little movement to the cables for the FX loop. See if anything changes. Or Remove the FX completely and see if that helps/restores the volume.

Crap solder joints could be the culprit, once things heat up, things can move around a bit, just enough to make a otherewise ok connection funky.

and good luck with Warranty service. There's a saga I ran into when I first bought my Marshall, it ended ok.. but it was months of BS to get it sorted out, and it was simply an internal fuse that popped. The next time it happened, (and hard to believe that it did..) I brought it to a Marshall service tech, and PAID him to fix it. (Wasn't much) Never blew another internal fuse, but I damn well now know the symptom and how to fix it. IME,, Marshall's Warranty service is abysmal. And I'm gonna assume you guys are probably past the "exchange it for another" option.

Thanks Kidblast, I'll pass this on to my son. It's a fairly new amp and he got it from Sweetwater, so we'll see what happens. So far, it's still working well, may have been a fluck, or he may have had something plugged in wrong in the "heat" of the moment... Pardon the Pun.

Did he use a different cord, between guitar and amp? Or, between the head, and the speaker

cabinet? That is often the more common problem. Cord ends can come loose at the solder

joints, and short out, or not work at all. BUT, having said that, I've had that same problem,

with my otherwise totally dependable Marshall AVT 20! At a recent "bar gig," it made a horrific

loud noise (as if I had touched the end of the cord, with my finger), and the guitar was already

plugged in. I tried another cord, Nothing! So, I used a backup amp. When I got home, I plugged

in the Marshall with the hopes I could find out, under less "pressure," what the problem might be.

It worked just fine, here at home that same night (both prior to the gig, and AFTER the gig, as well.

And, has continued to perform perfectly, since...about a month, now! No problems, whatsoever. So...???

OOOEEEEEOOOO! [confused]:-k=P~

Good Luck...hope you find the "problem!"

CB

Did he use a different cord, between guitar and amp? Or, between the head, and the speaker

cabinet? That is often the more common problem. Cord ends can come loose at the solder

joints, and short out, or not work at all. BUT, having said that, I've had that same problem,

with my otherwise totally dependable Marshall AVT 20! At a recent "bar gig," it made a horrific

loud noise (as if I had touched the end of the cord, with my finger), and the guitar was already

plugged in. I tried another cord, Nothing! So, I used a backup amp. When I got home, I plugged

in the Marshall with the hopes I could find out, under less "pressure," what the problem might be.

It worked just fine, here at home that same night (both prior to the gig, and AFTER the gig, as well.

And, has continued to perform perfectly, since...about a month, now! No problems, whatsoever. So...???

OOOEEEEEOOOO! [confused]:-k=P~

Good Luck...hope you find the "problem!"

CB

No, no changes to anything he has done before. Guess we'll just mark it off as bad electric or too much heat and humidity on the stage.

Well, I certainly have used a bunch of Marshalls out in the heat and humidity and it was not ever an issue. I hope that is not the case with new ones. My last Marshall was an early DSL2000 and it went quite a lot of places in lots of conditions.

Standby doesn't matter, so it isn't that. Unless it actually does need to get hot before it sounds right? Never had that before, usually no sound on up to full sound as you hit a few chords.

Muffled, not right sound that is ok later usually results from grabbing a guitar cable for a speaker cable, or better yet, using a TRS cable where should go a speaker cable.

Twisting the bejeebus out of the pots on front will often help with such garble too.

Good luck, tis a puzzlement for sure.

rct

Yeah, seems like it was probably a one-time thing that was probably not an amp issue. If both amps sounded bad, maybe they had bad power at the place. He can just turn it on, turn it up and play the heck out of it to see if it holds up. Make sure the switches work - if one switch goes bad then it can sound really low powered - but if the other guy's amp sounded bad, you'd have to figure that there was a common cause of the problems. Anyway...

Yeah, seems like it was probably a one-time thing that was probably not an amp issue. If both amps sounded bad, maybe they had bad power at the place. He can just turn it on, turn it up and play the heck out of it to see if it holds up. Make sure the switches work - if one switch goes bad then it can sound really low powered - but if the other guy's amp sounded bad, you'd have to figure that there was a common cause of the problems. Anyway...

if it was in fact bad power supply, would a power conditioner have corrected the situation ?

if it was in fact bad power supply, would a power conditioner have corrected the situation ?

Contrary to their advertising, no. The clean power conditioning supply is far beyond the means of the average guitar player and far beyond the reasoning of playing in a bar. Just bring a generator [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

rct

you may be experiencing inverse reactive current in the unilateral phase detractors. you'll need to synchronize the cardinal grammeters.

my recommendation is to avoid corner cutting by attempting this by relative motion with conductors and fluxes. it may take longer, but you'll get better results if you use a modial interaction from magneto reluctance. it's the only sure way to avoid capacitive duractance.

Contrary to their advertising, no. The clean power conditioning supply is far beyond the means of the average guitar player and far beyond the reasoning of playing in a bar. Just bring a generator [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

rct

lol. i know the power conditioners will "clean up" sketchy power or at least say they will. wasn't sure if there was anything that would improve it. guess it was kinda of a dumb question on my part.

you may be experiencing inverse reactive current in the unilateral phase detractors. you'll need to synchronize the cardinal grammeters.

my recommendation is to avoid corner cutting by attempting this by relative motion with conductors and fluxes. it may take longer, but you'll get better results if you use a modial interaction from magneto reluctance. it's the only sure way to avoid capacitive duractance.

took the words right out of my mouth. Yea, what he said.

lol. i know the power conditioners will "clean up" sketchy power or at least say they will. wasn't sure if there was anything that would improve it. guess it was kinda of a dumb question on my part.

No way, not a dumb question at all. The window on the average Furman or Monster is very small. When all the refrigerators and ice machines under the bars turn on at once and drop the line like 10 amps or whatever FZ The Elektricianal guy says they do, no ordinary couple hunnert bucks power conditioner is of any help. They are good for ordinary noise and minor normal fluctuations for sure, but not much else.

rct

No way, not a dumb question at all. The window on the average Furman or Monster is very small. When all the refrigerators and ice machines under the bars turn on at once and drop the line like 10 amps or whatever FZ The Elektricianal guy says they do, no ordinary couple hunnert bucks power conditioner is of any help. They are good for ordinary noise and minor normal fluctuations for sure, but not much else.

rct

GOTCHA

PRICELESS!!!!!!

Post of the week!

Archived