Gibson Brands Forums

Where are the modded Explorers at? I'll start!

Thunderhorse71

That is beautiful!

I wish I could find any explorer for sale!

They are super rare around these parts!

A Goth would be nice to have as is or to modify.

A local shop has a WAY overpriced beat to **** Goth V, but no explorer..... like thrown down several flights of stairs beat to ****...

I had to drown my sorrows in a Destroyer for now...

20180507-201918-2.jpg

• Upvote 2

HOLY $#!T, ICB I was finally able to post a picture on this web-site.....Thanks to Bro w/the AVATAR of the Li'l Dude in Ozzy's Band showing me 'HOW TO'...

So, my EXPLORER is not a CUSTOM......I couldn't resist ! HA ! its still BAD-A$, the Mini-Grover's are THE $#!T and the Granadillo Fret-Board makes it a li'l brigther than I had expected, BB 2 & BB3 instead of the usual 'Dirty Fingers'...... is why I pulled the trigger.....

41238398390_b44b4ab7bc_k.jpg[/url]IMG

Edited by Wild Bill 212
  • Upvote 2

Hey what about un-modding one? Does that count?

Here is a 1991 explorer I "UN-MODDED". I got it in Houston Texas back in 2011 off of craigslist for 400.00 and it came with the case too. Someone took a can of black spray paint and painted it. You can see how nasty it looked by the picture of the rear of the neck. It was originally a heritage cherry finish.

Anyways, I stripped it down to bare wood. I had one of my dad's buddies who was a woodworker do it for me. It was perfect under all of that ugly paint. It also had a butt ugly broken pick guard on it that was not original. I made a plexiglass one and spray painted it antique white from the inside. I stained the guitar a gunstock color and I hand rubbed about 4 coats of tung oil into it. It had EMG pick ups in it that sounded good so I kept them. It looked like a factory job when I was done. I traded it for my first gibson SG.

vAbBB1J.jpg5aVdIwd.jpg24y0UiA.jpgMT8b2wR.jpg

• Upvote 4

Here is a 1991 explorer I "UN-MODDED". I got it in Houston Texas back in 2011 off of craigslist for 400.00 and it came with the case too. Someone took a can of black spray paint and painted it. You can see how nasty it looked by the picture of the rear of the neck. It was originally a heritage cherry finish.

Anyways, I stripped it down to bare wood. I had one of my dad's buddies who was a woodworker do it for me. It was perfect under all of that ugly paint. It also had a butt ugly broken pick guard on it that was not original. I made a plexiglass one and spray painted it antique white from the inside. I stained the guitar a gunstock color and I hand rubbed about 4 coats of tung oil into it. It had EMG pick ups in it that sounded good so I kept them. It looked like a factory job when I was done. I traded it for my first gibson SG.

LOVE IT! That was the direction I was going to head with the Goth but the ebony fretboard just wouldn't look right with bare wood. I'm looking to rescue something with a pretty rosewood board and do exactly what you did there.

• Upvote 2

No way man.........Ebony would have looked great with the natural finish. Even more so with a lighter wood stain with all of that natural wood grain popping out it would have been sexy man! But you did a great job on that purple beast you created. It looks very good!

• Upvote 2

Nice un-mod. The less said about the "modded" pickguard, the better. Yikes!

• Upvote 2

Thank you. I really enjoyed doing it too and it really was not all that hard to achieve. Now that purple one up top was very well done and looks so nice and shiny too. I am very impressed with the Gibson silver logo. It looks awesome!

Nice un-mod. The less said about the "modded" pickguard, the better. Yikes!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought this '79 Explorer E2. There are lots of anomalies here, and I'm in the process of trying to determine what's what. There is more than meets the eye here and some pretty strong evidence that it started life as a Kalamazoo special order. Special Order or customized, it is a well done rock machine!

post-75262-064738000 1548106088_thumb.jpgpost-75262-097310500 1548106103_thumb.jpgpost-75262-044602300 1548106113_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

I recently bought this '79 Explorer E2. There are lots of anomalies here, and I'm in the process of trying to determine what's what. There is more than meets the eye here and some pretty strong evidence that it started life as a Kalamazoo special order. Special Order or customized, it is a well done rock machine!

post-75262-064738000 1548106088_thumb.jpgpost-75262-097310500 1548106103_thumb.jpgpost-75262-044602300 1548106113_thumb.jpg

I really like this Explorer! Looks fantastic man!

• Upvote 1

I have a thread started here with details and pics. Feedback welcomed. 1979 Gibson Explorer E2.....custom or customized......or both?

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 1/5/2019 at 12:37 PM, Wild Bill 212 said:

HOLY $#!T, ICB I was finally able to post a picture on this web-site.....Thanks to Bro w/the AVATAR of the Li'l Dude in Ozzy's Band showing me 'HOW TO'...

So, my EXPLORER is not a CUSTOM......I couldn't resist ! HA ! its still BAD-A$, the Mini-Grover's are THE $#!T and the Granadillo Fret-Board makes it a li'l brigther than I had expected, BB 2 & BB3 instead of the usual 'Dirty Fingers'...... is why I pulled the trigger.....

41238398390_b44b4ab7bc_k.jpg[/url]IMG

Very nice, Ebony and Gold is always an awesome combo   [thumbup]