Gibson Brands Forums

Was there an Epiphone version/equivalent to this guitar?

Guitar God

Years ago, when I was a little kid, I had a neighbor who played guitar.  Super cool guy who was about 10 or 11 years older than me, I believe. He had some cool guitars. One was a Gibson Les Paul Standard or Classic that he had repainted purple, a home made Strat style, an Epiphone acoustic, and an Epiphone electric that I've never seen before or since.  I don't know what the model was, but it was red and the closest thing I could find that looks like it is a Gibson US-1. My question is was there an Epiphone version or equivalent to a US-1 or one similar? I've been trying to find out what model the Epiphone he had was for years.  Can't ask him personally because it has been years since I last seen him or I would.
gDXH7VM.jpg

12 hours ago, Guitar God said:

...He had some cool guitars. One was.........an Epiphone electric that I've never seen before or since.  I don't know what the model was, but it was red and the closest thing I could find that looks like it is a Gibson US-1. My question is was there an Epiphone version or equivalent to a US-1 or one similar?......

It all depends on how close, exactly, you are thinking. There have been a great number of Strat-style Epi's released over the years and especially the 1980's - I have one (SSS) myself as a matter of fact - but I've never seen one exactly the same as that; i.e. made from Chromyte and with a figured top. I think I am correct in saying that Gibson coined the name 'Chromyte' to try to make Balsa-wood (hence the light weight as mentioned) seem more acceptable to their buyers.

The closest I have seen to the one pictured is probably the Epi X-1000.

Have a google...

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrCwPPt.BldHiYAXiQPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=epiphone+x-1000&type=1653128145&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_extension&param1=20190509&param2=e46f5c25-37a3-45d7-8cbb-15fba3e7347b&param3=email_~GB~appfocus1&param4=d-ccc3-lp0-r2-cp_1653128145-bb8-dc2~Firefox~epiphone+x-1000~D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E&ei=UTF-8&fr=yhs-pty-pty_extension

Pip.

57 minutes ago, rct said:

Chromyte didn't last long at all, probably didn't sell well enough to warrant a less expensive version.

rct

Very possibly but it might have been a good idea. It all came about when Henry and his chums were trying out different weight-relief ideas. One Chromyte dead-end was the Les Paul Lite (and assorted variations thereof) and folks who have them really rate them highly.

If there WAS an Epi like the US-1 it might be worth a punt. The resale value for Epi Strats isn't going to stretch anyone's purse-strings. Mine (mentioned above), bought through a south London dealership a few years ago, cost $120.

Pip.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:14 AM, pippy said:

It all depends on how close, exactly, you are thinking. There have been a great number of Strat-style Epi's released over the years and especially the 1980's - I have one (SSS) myself as a matter of fact - but I've never seen one exactly the same as that; i.e. made from Chromyte and with a figured top. I think I am correct in saying that Gibson coined the name 'Chromyte' to try to make Balsa-wood (hence the light weight as mentioned) seem more acceptable to their buyers.

The closest I have seen to the one pictured is probably the Epi X-1000.

Have a google...

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrCwPPt.BldHiYAXiQPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=epiphone+x-1000&type=1653128145&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_extension&param1=20190509&param2=e46f5c25-37a3-45d7-8cbb-15fba3e7347b&param3=email_~GB~appfocus1&param4=d-ccc3-lp0-r2-cp_1653128145-bb8-dc2~Firefox~epiphone+x-1000~D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E&ei=UTF-8&fr=yhs-pty-pty_extension

Pip.

I think that possible could be what it was.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:51 AM, pippy said:

Very possibly but it might have been a good idea. It all came about when Henry and his chums were trying out different weight-relief ideas. One Chromyte dead-end was the Les Paul Lite (and assorted variations thereof) and folks who have them really rate them highly.

If there WAS an Epi like the US-1 it might be worth a punt. The resale value for Epi Strats isn't going to stretch anyone's purse-strings. Mine (mentioned above), bought through a south London dealership a few years ago, cost $120.

Pip.

On your US-1 comment. I wasn't saying it was an Epiphone version of it, just saying it closest resembled the Epiphone my old neighbor had and was wondering what model it could have been.

On 7/5/2019 at 4:59 PM, Rabs said:

Surely you want one of these? (that red one at the end)

Go to 13:35

I've always thought about getting an old school Kramer just because I've always ben a fan of the '80's hair and glam stuff, but I have an '86 Charvel Model 4, so that serves me well. But, I'm just really curious about what Epiphone model he had was ever since I first seen it when I was 11 or 12.  Never seen another one like it. Like I said, the closest thing I've seen that comes close to looking anything like it was the Gibson US-1 model. I wish I was still in contact with the guy so I could ask him.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 3:47 PM, M-T-Pockets said:

Check it out!!  This one was posted near me, so I had to get it!

00c0c_bSmWh2YMwoJ_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

This looks like it, but I don't recall his having the weird locking tremolo.  I don't think he played that guitar much at all, because I only seen it once or twice and that was the one guitar he was picky about letting me play then. He would let me play his Gibson Les Paul all day long back then, though, haha. Been curious about the model of that Epiphone since I was 11 or 12.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:38 PM, Guitar God said:

This looks like it, but I don't recall his having the weird locking tremolo.  I don't think he played that guitar much at all, because I only seen it once or twice and that was the one guitar he was picky about letting me play then. He would let me play his Gibson Les Paul all day long back then, though, haha. Been curious about the model of that Epiphone since I was 11 or 12.

Right after I bought this one, another one popped up on Reverb, a really nice white on in better shape than this one (but it still had the tremolo issue that plagues these).   I kinda wish I bought that one..lol

I actually have parts on order from Germany to repair this one.  I'm gonna bring it back to it's full glory and rock this bad boy!!!

Also, I've seen these with a different tremolo, I believe the alternate one was called the "Epiphone Bennder"

Edited by M-T-Pockets