Gibson Brands Forums

Hamer Guitars...

AXE®

I've played some in the past, but recently I had the chance to sit down with some Hamers and Gibsons side by side, and the results (for me) were overwhelmingly one sided for the Hamer.

Fit Finish. Perfet

Playability out of the box hands down superior,set up was excellent from the factory.

Frets and neck, slick as ice.

Overall tone was comparable.

More bang for the buck. This player says yes!

of course this coming from someone who doesn't play or own trophy guitars. But players guitars.

Me thinks some of you "looking for new guitars to "play should check out these fine playing and sounding instruments.

http://www.hamerguitars.com/

http://www.hamerguitars.com/

oh I see now that I really wasn't updated on their models.. A friend played one for like 10 (or more) years ago, it was a sweet player but looked and felt like a typical shred-guitar. Not my style (doubt I'm able either ;P) so the guitar never felt right to me.

But a quick glance at their page opened up my eyes. They sure have some interesting models. cool

Okay, don't beat me up over this because not everyone may know, but for those who don't, Hammer guitars fall under it's parent company, Kaman Music Corp. (think Ovation) which is owned by who? Fender Musical Instruments. I haven't played any of the newer models, but some of the older ones weren't too bad either.

That's kind of what I was getting at, not necessarily the Fender part. But the fact that so many people have their cranium shoved so far up the dark nether regions of their lower bowels that they are missing out on some really great guitars.

I wonder if it's just a status thing ... Now Granted I am a bit of a Gibson snob, but I'm always open to different things.

hamers are really great now a days. i want to get one of those explorers they are pretty damn awesome. they have a really nice finish, great pickups, a good neck, look cool and are a reasonable price. my only problem with them it they seem to have a pretty skinny neck most of the time, which is a bit uncomfortable for my big hands.

American made Hamer stuff is top notch, and priced accordingly.

I shopped for a burst Hamer Standard for a couple years, and a Vector as well.

Figured I would snag one on Ebay or something when the price was right.

Never happened.

The old Hamers are pricey indeed.

My Hamer was 99.99% perfect out of the box. (but I still managed to spend a couple more dollars on it) You can see one here http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=387

I put a pick guard on it .. something like this http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=1267 (I was scratching it with a pick. I am playing all of my guitars. None of them sit and collect dust. So they get to look used.

I am an old fart so I figure if not now then when? So I got the Gibson and the Hamer -- I like treasure both of them. I like and enjoy my Washburn (get a lot of compliments when I take that out -- too) and I regularly take the Tacoma and the Yamaha to boldly go where the crowd is a little less than refined. (In fact sometimes it is questionable if they are human) (you know, there may be cross-overs)

I took my Yamaha to Kadan's Bar last night (blues place) .. whew .. did we descend from the apes? Or did they descend from us? They'll never put that on one of those sight-seeing Gray Line bus tours. It's a sight alright. We go there every other Tuesday (blues) . You turn on the electronic tuner and the screen says "are you sure you want to play here? are you nuts?"

The Hamer and the Gibson only go to colleges, retirement homes, churches, etc. I've seen at least two people knocked off their bar stool .. one went to the ER. (Just like Gage and DeSoto on the Emergency series -- Julie London and Bobby Troup.) They must bribe the press to get good reviews. Anyway the Yamaha looks like a Gibson in that place.

Archived