Gibson Brands Forums

Need advice which les paul to get

MrScreeps

Hello everybody,

I´m playing e-guitar for about 2 months now (actually 10 years, but more was more of an on/off thing). Until very recently, I played on a "cheap" Yamaha e-guitar, which now sadly stopped working. Now the Les Paul is a guitar I always found cool (since Slash plays it in Sweet Child´o´mine and that was the first song I learned), and also I read somewhere that the strings are a bit further apart than on other guitars. This actualy helps me because the tip of my fingers is... kinda fat, so i often have problems when playing multiple strings that I accidently touch the other ones.

So my Questions:
1. Do you recommend the Epiphone(!) les paul to me?
2. Which "model" should I get?
I´ll definitely never go above "playing the guitar is just a hobby"-level and I don´t think I need some fancy things that only pro players would appreciate.

Im sorry this post is kinda unorganized, but I hope I got accross what im looking for and on what level I am. Any help is appreciated!

P.S.: The cable could be defect too. Im getting a new one but getting a new guitar will happen sooner or later anyway (kinda literally falling apart).

Edited by MrScreeps
Wanted to clarify that I want to get the les paul from epiphone.

everything has to do with your budget, or planned budget...

if your going Epiphone, I'd set my sights on one of the "standards"  probably the best bang for the buck you'll find anywhere.

figure around $600 US for new,  used, a bit cheaper, maybe in the $400 / $350 ball park.  should come with a case too.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

Budget is the driving factor but from what you have have described look for something with a 50's neck .  The other neck style is a 60's  but those tend to be thinner and narrower.  Epiphone is a fine choice but remember you get what you pay for so you know ... don't cheap out.  Agree with the standard recommendation.  After playing one I found myself wondering why I spent so much more for a Gibson.

• Like 1

Ok my buget is, let me say "efficient". I want the guitar with the lowest price possible, just for me to play on bit without having to sacrafice something I maybe didn´t even know exists.

Im a student so money isn´t really on my side. I know that getting a more expensive guitar has it´s pros but i simply cant afford it.

My absolute maximum budget would be 400 (€)

23 hours ago, MrScreeps said:

Would you guys recommend the Epiphone Special II to me?

it will work, anything will work.   

Just as an fyi, those are the entry point models for LP style bodies from Epiphone. 

They would have a  Bolt on Neck verses a set neck, and most commonly known for lower cost options for electronics and hardware.  If you can find a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard, that IMHO would fit with the planned budget you're mentioning and is by no means an "entry level" sort of instrument.

That said, if a  Special II is all you can afford, than it would most certainly work for you.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

I would highly recommend buying second hand, but you should of course try first. If you don't feel that you're qualified yourself to judge a guitar, then bring a friend. You should be able to get a nice second hand Epi LP Std. for up to 400 Euros. Maybe even a Pro. You will get a much nicer guitar than a new Special II.

• Like 2

Okay I just looked up Epiphone Les Paul standards used, but they are sold for an even higher price than new for some reason? So yeah I appreciate your advices, but since it is sadly out of my price range ill get a Special II. When I´ll work after im done with university and im still playing the guitar I´ll get myself a standard.

Thanks everybody for your help!

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:19 AM, MrScreeps said:

Okay I just looked up Epiphone Les Paul standards used, but they are sold for an even higher price than new for some reason? So yeah I appreciate your advices, but since it is sadly out of my price range ill get a Special II. When I´ll work after im done with university and im still playing the guitar I´ll get myself a standard.

If you aren't in a hurry, I would just recommend to just keep reviewing listings on like ebay/reverb/craigslist as well as visiting local shops until you find something. Actually playing the guitar would be a plus, if you find one that feels right, get it.

On 9/30/2019 at 9:19 PM, MrScreeps said:

I would recommend upgrading to a guitar with a set neck. Used SG G-400s usually start at about $200 with the G-400 PRO running a little more, used G-400s tend to be some of the least expensive with set necks.. Used set neck Les Pauls tend to start around $275 and go up from there, like the Studio, Custom or Standard. Typically used Epiphones sell for roughly about 65% of the New Price..

All of the information supplied by previous posts is very good..

The amount of variation in models can be overwhelming.. Descriptions like PRO, Deluxe, Ltd Edition tend to cost more, or specially Elite.. When Special is used in the description it usually indicates a bolt-on neck, which the necks, have received very good reviews ... 

You need to watch the internet sales in your area to learn what they are selling for... But the best thing is to go to a store that has a few, so you can try them out..

Edited by mihcmac

Back when the first Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro came out about 10 years ago,I made a bee line for my local music store to try one out.I plugged a beautiful wine coloured Trad. Pro into a Fender Blues Jr. and was blown away by how much the guitar sounded like a vintage PAF 'burst Les Paul and immediately bought the guitar.No matter what amp I play this guitar through,she never ceases to amaze me-she is exceptionally  heavy when I turn up my old JCM 800 2204 stack and let her wail-of course she also can weep like an angel when you coax some classic blues riffs from her.For my money the Trad Pro is one of the best guitar buys around today.

Plustop Pro Standard. It took me ten seconds to decide to buy mine after I plugged it in. The ProBuckers make it sound very much like Slash's tone. I've got a Gibson LP Tribute (2017 model) too, and I can't decide which one sounds better. The Epiphone sounds a bit more like "Appetite", and the Gibson is more "Use your illusion". I daresay that the Epiphone has more bite.  I probably wouldn't have bought the Gibson LP if the deal hadn't been amazing on that one.

If you want Slash on a budget, without sacrificing quality/tone, that would be my choice. Bar none.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:25 AM, Pinch said:

Plustop Pro Standard. It took me ten seconds to decide to buy mine after I plugged it in. The ProBuckers make it sound very much like Slash's tone. I've got a Gibson LP Tribute (2017 model) too, and I can't decide which one sounds better. The Epiphone sounds a bit more like "Appetite", and the Gibson is more "Use your illusion". I daresay that the Epiphone has more bite.  I probably wouldn't have bought the Gibson LP if the deal hadn't been amazing on that one.

If you want Slash on a budget, without sacrificing quality/tone, that would be my choice. Bar none.

really? wow, i might check em out then, i was looking for the slash tone was even thinking if i should put his pick ups on my 17 tribute...what year is your plus top pro standar?