Gibson Brands Forums

'61RI still seems to be the best pick of the SG line

LPDEN

Well, as the subject line says, IMNSHO the '61RI still seems to be the best pick of the SG line. Though I wouldn't mind having one of the Maestro versions, but the coin required to step up to it puts my sights right back on the '61 RI. I wouldn't mind adding one of these if I could. I played one earlier today through one of those new Egnater amps and Wow! What a impression I was left with....

+100000000000

The '61 RI is an excellent choice. I got mine 2 years ago during a heavy GAS attack

and did not regret it. Almost sold it to buy my Firebird V but everyone said:

"Noooo, this one screams so beautiful, keep it..." and I did and bought the bird anyway.

Now with the '61 RI SG, the Firebird V and the LP Standard faded and the ES335

I cover four beautifully different Gibson sounds just according to how I feel

and what kind of style I want to play.

Denny, I'd also have to agree with you from a cost perspective.

I bought a '62RI because it was the best Gibson guitar in the store on that day.

If it didn't (and still does) blow me away, I wouldn't have paid for it.

'61RIs are great guitars and if you buy one, you're making an excellent choice.

Let me jump ahead in time and answer your next question - no, the neck joint is fine.

Some people say it's weak and can easily snap. Just don't start jumping on it. :-({|=

Denny' date=' I'd also have to agree with you from a cost perspective.

I bought a '62RI because it was the best Gibson guitar in the store on that day.

If it didn't (and still does) blow me away, I wouldn't have paid for it.

'61RIs are great guitars and if you buy one, you're making an excellent choice.

Let me jump ahead in time and answer your next question - no, the neck joint is fine.

Some people say it's weak and can easily snap. Just don't start jumping on it. :-[/quote']

LOL!, Yes, I never understood the criticism of the neck joint for those who actually don't use their guitar as a pogo stick, windmill or other acrobatic act. Going back to the '61RI itself, I just find it to be the quintessential SG, despite that other variations have appealing features. That is the attraction of it for me, it worked great from the start and really didn't have to be improved upon for the most part.

My cousin just bought one a couple of weeks ago and he loves it. I haven't had a chance to play one yet (unfortunately my cousin and I are separated by 300 miles) - the Gibby shop here doesn't stock it. damn.

I guess you'll be looking forward to the family reunion? :-

hell yeah' date=' i think its for ANY kind a player, except baseball bat neck fans

hey dc3c46!!!!!

can we see pics of your guitar family???[/quote']

I know neck profiles can be show stoppers for some, having an R8 on down to skinner profiles, I find I am more adaptable in reality when actually playing than I am when looking at spec sheets.

+100000000000

The '61 RI is an excellent choice. I got mine 2 years ago during a heavy GAS attack

"Noooo' date=' this one screams so beautiful, keep it..." and I did and bought the bird anyway.

[/quote']

Yep, like yourself, I'm no stranger to GAS attacks either. You made a good choice in hanging onto it.

I love the '61 Reissue. I've owned 3 now, a 2006, a 2001, and 2nd 2001 that is now enroute to me. The 2006 had a skinner neck, a different color, a nashville bridge, and not as nice bevels as the 2001. The 2001 comes with the nicer case and the ABR-1.

Derek Trucks uses a 2000 as his main gigging guitar. I'm sure the newer ones are nice too, but there's something special about the 2000 and 2001 models.

+100000000000

"Noooo' date=' this one screams so beautiful, keep it..." and I did and bought the bird anyway.

[/quote']

](*,) bravo man=d> now all you need is an explorer and a v and ur completely set gibson wise

hell yeah' date=' i think its for ANY kind a player, except baseball bat neck fans

hey dc3c46!!!!!

can we see pics of your guitar family???[/quote']

Well, you asked for it.

Here is my Gibson family.I love them all the same.

Did somebody talk about Explorer and V missing? Yes, both in Korina would be sweet.

But please no GAS now. Gotta wait a while.

gibsons4001.jpg

Well' date=' you asked for it.

Did somebody talk about Explorer and V missing? Yes, both in Korina would be sweet.

[img'][/img]http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww274/dc3c46/?action=share&pic=gibsons4 001.jpggibsons4001.jpg

nice man...yes that was me who sed that about the explorer and v and sorry bout u giving gas (LOL I HAD TO) but that has to be 1 of the nicest gibson collections i have ever seen

Well' date=' as the subject line says, IMNSHO the '61RI still seems to be the best pick of the SG line. Though I wouldn't mind having one of the Maestro versions, but the coin required to step up to it puts my sights right back on the '61 RI. [/quote']

Yes, I'd own a '61 Reissue before I'd pay an extra several hundred for a Historic that's no more historically accurate (when you weigh the pros and cons, they both possess good "accuracies" but they really need to create a hybrid to make it RIGHT either way). And for sure if they'd just offer the Maestro option on the USA '61 RI again it'd be a pretty good value by comparison.

LOL!' date=' Yes, I never understood the criticism of the neck joint for those who actually don't use their guitar as a pogo stick, windmill or other acrobatic act. Going back to the '61RI itself, I just find it to be the quintessential SG, despite that other variations have appealing features. That is the attraction of it for me, it worked great from the start and really didn't have to be improved upon for the most part.[/quote']

Amen, my man.

H-Bomb

yeah, i guess i have to be the blacksheep of the forum here in saying that i dont really like the 61 reissue... Im more of a standard man, you know?

Wake up in the morning, brew cheap coffee, watch some TeVo, drive to work in a beater toyota.

Yup, just your standard existance.

Never played a 61RI but damn, I sure have heard enough about 'em. You'd think they crapped vanilla ice cream. I have my heart set on an " all original" '67 Standard. Seen a couple "real" beauties for around 7K but that's a lot a dough in the best-o-tymes.

Never played a 61RI but damn' date=' I sure have heard enough about 'em. You'd think they crapped vanilla ice cream. I have my heart set on an " all original" '67 Standard. Seen a couple "real" beauties for around 7K but that's a lot a dough in the best-o-tymes.[/quote']

Actually, I think it's Cherry flavored ice cream... LOL! #-o Seriously though, if you ever have the opportunity, you should play one through some of your favorite amps and see what you think.

Well' date=' you asked for it.

[img'][/img]http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww274/dc3c46/?action=share&pic=gibsons4 001.jpggibsons4001.jpg

Great family shot there, C.J.! A collection anyone can be envious of. So I have to ask, which one do you reach for the most?

Besides the neck profile and pickup issue, I used to think that a

61RI was a guitar with a higher quality than SG Std. After the trip to

2 local GCs yesterday, I changed my mind. The new 61 RI is

NO BETTER than the Std.

61 RI used to have one piece body. No more.

It used to have deeper cutaways around the horns. Gone now.

Now the 61 RI and Std have the same 2 piece body with the

same shallow cutaways. Why pay more money for 61 RI?

"well, 61 RIs have better pickups... blah blah..." No they don't.

Besides the neck profile and pickup issue' date=' I used to think that a

61RI was a guitar with a higher quality than SG Std. After the trip to

2 local GCs yesterday, I changed my mind. The new 61 RI is

NO BETTER than the Std.

61 RI used to have one piece body. No more.

It used to have deeper cutaways around the horns. Gone now.

Now the 61 RI and Std have the same 2 piece body with the

same shallow cutaways. Why pay more money for 61 RI?

"well, 61 RIs have better pickups... blah blah..." No they don't.

[/quote']

Agreed. However, the '57 Classics are better IMO, but that's what that comes down to.

Like I said in an earlier post. You have to get a 1999-2001 to get the better version. Hell... even the cases were better back then!

Archived