Gibson Brands Forums

Scratches from towels? Like nomad cleaning towels

Getaway

I have microfiber towels bought at guitar center different kinds like nomad and even fender yellow ones. Seems they scratch the walnut burst top of guitar the sides and back you can’t see because it’s walnut but the front side of guitar has endless scratches tiny not deep or anything on it from using microfiber towels bought at a guitar center like wtf? I wipe it down after every use. I polish it using Gibson polish and restoration seems to help a little but some get left over what do I do!!????? It’s not nota I left unless I’m the right light. 

How new is this guitar? Not a fan of synthetic microfiber cloths, here. Nitro finishes are fairly soft when new- what you're seeing might just be swirl marks, rather than scratches. Virtuoso polish is designed to work with, rather than on top of nitrocellulose lacquer finishes. . . pricey, but worth it. Give it a try. And welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

Don't use microfiber or paper towels on Gibson guitars; they are better used on poly finishes and generally scratch the surface of (soft) lacquer finishes on a Gibson guitar due to their slightly abrasive nature even if it's only miniscule microwhirls of scratch. It's best to use soft, clean polish clothes made of flannel in combination with any of Gibson's guitar polish (Gibson offer both products in their store).

Edited by Leonard McCoy
  • Like 1