Gibson Brands Forums

Sweetwater has some of the new models......

BluesKing777

Shiny and new still doesn't do anything for me, unless it's cars.  I'm confident the tone of your old pawn shop guitars has that extra vintage depth not heard in fresh builds. 

Besides, for that kind of cash I can finally get my hands on an Ad topped Martin 12 fret 000. 

I'm not clear on the specs for the 1942 SJ - pictures have rosewood b/s but the first set of specs says mahogany back and sides.  Then it says rosewood back and sides at the lower set of specs.  With a possible couple of exceptions during the wartime period, weren't SJs generally mahogany?

Edited by vw1300

1 hour ago, vw1300 said:

I'm not clear on the specs for the 1942 SJ - pictures have rosewood b/s but the first set of specs says mahogany back and sides.  Then it says rosewood back and sides at the lower set of specs.  With a possible couple of exceptions during the wartime period, weren't SJs generally mahogany?

Yes, but these re-issues are copies of the FON 910 batch of banner SJs, which were rosewood back & sides. One member here has one of the original ones. That descriptive text is just copied boilerplate with an error in it. It is correct on the Gibson website, I believe.

What we do not know on that particular model is the neck profile. I've read some specs that say it is the Luthiers Choice, which is wide at the nut put has a relatively shallow sectional shape.

I would be interested in swapping my 1943 SJ re-issue and cash for the rosewood SJ model, if the neck profile is right. I have two other 1950 J-45s to cover the hog slope-J perspective pretty effectively. Rosewood is another matter.

My '42 has a slightly wider nut but also a deep roundback D neck carve.  Nothing shallow about it.  I do not recall ever playing a guitar with a Luthiers Choice neck but it sounds like a version of what I have always called a Vintage or Fat C which would be similar to the neck on my WM-00.

Edited by zombywoof

Good grief, the number of new & appealing models is staggering - Like a dream wish list you’ve been carrying around in your pocket for decades!

Thankfully, I just found the last piece to my personal instrument puzzle & should be set for a long time.  Otherwise, that new lineup would quite likely cause an involuntary brain reboot!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 62burst said:

The photos of the back of the neck were the first things that caught my eye- the listed 1.77" nut would be fine with what I'm seeing.

Glad to have worked my way through the rosewood jungle. 

Wildwood Guitars just got a 1942 in and they list the nut as standard 1.72" on that one

1 hour ago, Mr. Paul said:

Wildwood Guitars just got a 1942 in and they list the nut as standard 1.72" on that one

Those are both the 1942 J-45 models.  An original probably would have been 1.75" at the nut.

The measured neck depths on both of those is virtually identical to the analogous depths on both of my 1950 J-45s. Depending on the sectional shape, those should be really nice necks.

However, it's the rosewood 1942 SJ and the  1936 AJ that have me salivating over this series right now. I'd like to play both.

I'd also like to compare the 1936 AJ to the '37 D-28 Authentic, even though it isn't exactly apples to apples.

One of those three is on my near-term bucket list

22 hours ago, jedzep said:

Shiny and new still doesn't do anything for me, unless it's cars.  I'm confident the tone of your old pawn shop guitars has that extra vintage depth not heard in fresh builds. 

Besides, for that kind of cash I can finally get my hands on an Ad topped Martin 12 fret 000. 

Of course, absolutely true, JZ, but I WANT that new LG2 Banner and  the new J45 Banner and they should give a good deal because after I plastered my pawn shoppers 2005 Dove and 2002 J50 photos here in this very forum, someone must have been watching because a few months later and Voila!.......a cherry red Dove AND a J50 appears in the new list.....at 4 times the cost of my slightly destroyed pawnees.

I believe mine may have come from Japan where Gibson Japan have been selling cherry burst Doves and J50s on special order while not selling in the US. So the owner imported luxury Japanese cars and brought back a guitar or two on his travels..... this I have pieced together from things the pawn shop guy told me, may not be true. But I have read something like it before somewhere.

(J50 hasn’t been to my luthier yet, Dove doesn’t need him!)

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

18 hours ago, generaldreedle said:

Kind of wish the Southern Jumbo was mahogany

There have been a number of good mahogany SJ re-issues over the years . I have a "1943 Southern Jumbo" re-issue done in 2006 for Fuller's Vintage that has almost identical specs to the new 1942 SJ, except that it is obviously mahogany B&S and does not have a cooked Adi top.

Same wide nut, slightly different tuners, same almost everything else, down to the 19 frets, bridge design, etc.

Neither of these is a totally authentic repro, since both have a bound fretboard and a white heel cap, which are post-war features.

Still an awfully nice guitar. 

9 hours ago, Dave F said:

I think I can live with my DYHTD (rosewood) and KKSJ, I think.

6783b114-65e5-4b14-94a6-3240868649b7.jpg

0ca1ed61-6848-47c6-900d-660167af92bb.jpg

But that new one does look nice.

pwvrukd6kf03prs1koo3.jpg

From the front, the new one looks exactly like my 1943 SJ re-issue.

So Dave, what do you find the tonal differences to be between your rosewood and 'hog SJs?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jalex said:

Some very tempting models there. I do wish they wouldn't install strap buttons on the new models though.

I don't think any of these vintage models come with strap buttons other than the tailblock endpin. Other strap buttons are usually an owner installation on conventional acoustics. A tailblock endpin of some type has always been standard on Gibson acoustics, and most acoustics other than classicals.

56 minutes ago, Jalex said:

Some very tempting models there. I do wish they wouldn't install strap buttons on the new models though.

Looks like they're not doing that with all of the models. . . but in having a closer look at the '34 Jumbo neck join, it does have the French heel, an authentic touch on 1930's Gibsons. Specs list scale= 25.0?. And - have a good look at the '34 Jumbo's case- a beauty. . . is it a Harptone? love the plush interior, handle, correct-for-the-era coarse grained covering, and top and back both arched.

@generaldreedle- hopefully, you've been following Rosinante's J-45 VOS NGD thread, as Zombywoof's post about the mahogany-backed J-45's strengths is a good way to start a conversation about just one more person's observations about having J-45's with both mahogany and rosewood back n' sides.

Edited by 62burst

19 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Looks like they're not doing that with all of the models. . . but in having a closer look at the '34 Jumbo neck join, it does have the French heel, an authentic touch on 1930's Gibsons. Specs list scale= 25.0?. And - have a good look at the '34 Jumbo's case- a beauty. . . is it a Harptone? love the plush interior, handle, correct-for-the-era coarse grained covering, and top and back both arched.

@generaldreedle- hopefully, you've been following Rosinante's J-45 VOS NGD thread, as Zombywoof's post about the mahogany-backed J-45's strengths is a good way to start a conversation about just one more person's observations about having J-45's with both mahogany and rosewood back n' sides.

I looked more closely, and the Dove and 1950's J-50 have  strap buttons at the neck heel. On the other ones in the Sweetwater photos, what looks sort of like a strap button at the neck heel is a reflection.

That gorgeous case with the purple lining is just like the redline case that came with my L-OO Legend. It isn't branded.

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

I'll take a look, thanks