Gibson Brands Forums

1934 Jumbo Historic Overview

Here is one of my usual curmudgeon comments.  It is commonly believed that only 1935s had a bound fingerboard and AFAIK it did not have a 1 3/4" nut.  Here is my 1935 player grade Jumbo -- I use it (a lot) in bluegrass wherever a good D-18 would also work.

f4BiWmN.jpg

RbIAoNG.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, tpbiii said:

Here is one of my usual curmudgeon comments.  It is commonly believed that only 1935s had a bound fingerboard and AFAIK it did not have a 1 3/4" nut.  Here is my 1935 player grade Jumbo -- I use it (a lot) in bluegrass wherever a good D-18 would also work.

f4BiWmN.jpg

RbIAoNG.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

Its called a stand up bass. That lady is my hero.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tpbiii said:

f4BiWmN.jpg

RbIAoNG.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

I really like the looks of those darker burst.

f4BiWmN.jpg

RbIAoNG.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

Tom,

Thanks for sharing if you can post a demo here we can have a bit of a comparison of the reissue to a vintage one.

JC

f4BiWmN.jpg

RbIAoNG.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

Hey Tom, who's yer clog dancer?

1 hour ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

Tom,

Thanks for sharing if you can post a demo here we can have a bit of a comparison of the reissue to a vintage one.

JC

I'll be glad to, but I should note a couple of things.  First, this is a much-worked-on (not by me) player grade guitar that even has had some top restoration -- not original at all.  I was really surprise at how good (and flexible) it is -- I have used it a lot on stage where I might normally use a D-18.  I have an all original 1936 Trojan with basically the same specs -- both guitars are very strong, but the Trojan is much more raw, which actually makes it not-so-good for bluegrass.  A conjecture is the work on the JUMBO may have just taken enough edge off to make seems deep rather than raw.

None of these really shows the guitar being used on stage or in a jam session.  The recording I have of that don't show too much IMO because (1) the situation is too complex and (2) the stage usually distorts the sound so you are not hearing the real thing.  Also when I am playing mostly rhythm, I usually have others on stage with a better right hand than me.  I did pick one to show -- this show was done with three open condenser mics and no monitors.  That can give very faithful sound reproduction BUT syncing levels from the three mics is really impossible -- you just do your best and the sound man tries to help.   Here is a video from a live jam show some years ago using the JUMBO

Best,

-Tom

Edited by tpbiii
  • Thanks 1

Back to the new reissue model 34 Jumbo...

1 3/4" nut - tick

V neck - tick

Hmmmm.

Love to try a row of the Historics, especially this one against the J45 Banner 42 reissue, but when I rang a shop here, I was informed that they have only ordered the 'standard' models as the more expensive ones get too dear with the Australian dollar exchange rate and they sit on the shelf. They expect the 'cheapies' to start arriving maybe July.

BluesKing777.

• Thanks 1

I watched the demos literally drooling at the tone pouring out of that thing. Mind blowingly rich and fat, huge mids, four dimensional and stunningly dynamic.

Then my fiancée peeked over my shoulder and said "what guitar is that? It sounds horrible! Really nasal and harsh. It looks like a J45 but I've never heard a J45 I didn't like, what the hell is that?"

Proof positive that tone is entirely subjective. She doesn't play much (although she can!) but has a keen interest in guitars and knows exactly what she likes and doesn't like. I disagree with her, though!!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

So, I am teetering on buying either a 1934 Jumbo reissue or a banner 1942 J-45.  I already have a standard J-45, so I am a bit more inclined towards the 1934 Jumbo.  I am trying to get an idea what the neck will be like (there's no shop around Jacksonville that has a 1934 Jumbo) ... If someone is familiar with these, would you say it is something like the neck profile on the Martin CEO-7  or Martin 000-28ec?  Thanks!