Gibson Brands Forums

Frank Hannon Dove Signature

Cool clip, thanks JCV!

Glad I have my 2005 Dove cherry! While not a 'sig' model, someone signed it! (I wonder if they survived that idea?)

Either way, it is mine (and it was cheaper than without the writing!). It is a strange beast - heavily worn in some body areas but the neck is fairly 'untouched'. Maybe they played open G over and over and over?

And some mystery for you - The writing in the lower right of the last photo says:

One LOVE !!!

then next row : a Ban the bomb/peace sign

next row is a hand drawn banner with: INCOGNITO written in  it

under that banner to the right is a word that is blurry - could be 'blues'. But that might just be my imagination!

frRhXush.jpg

pXBMbIRh.jpg

8zcyEi9h.jpg

BluesKing777.

28 minutes ago, j45nick said:

BK, is that written on with ink, or etched in, or what?

It was written in black Texta but the guy at the shop spent '4 days with it at home trying to remove it' - his words. So it was dark black and what remains is probably there soaked in.

I like it! It is a mystery! Frank above has 'Love' on his TR cover! Maybe he owned it? Wrote on it!

BluesKing777.

2 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Cool clip, thanks JCV!

Glad I have my 2005 Dove cherry! While not a 'sig' model, someone signed it! (I wonder if they survived that idea?)

Either way, it is mine (and it was cheaper than without the writing!). It is a strange beast - heavily worn in some body areas but the neck is fairly 'untouched'. Maybe they played open G over and over and over?

And some mystery for you - The writing in the lower right of the last photo says:

One LOVE !!!

then next row : a Ban the bomb/peace sign

next row is a hand drawn banner with: INCOGNITO written in  it

under that banner to the right is a word that is blurry - could be 'blues'. But that might just be my imagination!

frRhXush.jpg

pXBMbIRh.jpg

8zcyEi9h.jpg

BluesKing777.

BK,

Love it!!!

even with the writing.

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar

1 hour ago, MissouriPicker said:

Yeah, Doves are real sweet guitars.  Been really pleased with mine.  Sounds awesome!  I can only imagine how great it would sound if I could really play it.  ....Nice, nice guitar.

Larry ,

I’d have to agree.

I’ve only played one dove but It was a great one.

JC

My first question was, of course, who the Hell ins Frank Hannon.  

Looking at the specs, this take on the Dove is a far cry from the guitars produced under ECL Industries and then Norlin.    And considering we are talkin about originals with  increasingly heavy bracing, bridge plates that were large enough to qualify as a piece of furniture, flat instead of radiused tops, and such  I would say that  is not a bad thing.  

Edited by zombywoof

I think it`s pretty amazing that Mr. Hannon had googly eyes over a used  76 Dove in a shop ... He bought it  and because of it`s unique voice and play ability was able to write some great songs with it .

Gibson being Gibson has simply rubber stamped Hannon`s name and attributes to a Dove presently rolling off their line .

11 minutes ago, 75 Hummingbird said:

I think it`s pretty amazing that Mr. Hannon had googly eyes over a used  76 Dove in a shop ... He bought it  and because of it`s unique voice and play ability was able to write some great songs with it .

Gibson being Gibson has simply rubber stamped Hannon`s name and attributes to a Dove presently rolling off their line .

Sig models are silly. Yet I owned one. At least I saw him play live and knew who BB King was and his contribution to music.

Most times I have to look up who the person a Sig model is named after 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Sig models are silly. Yet I owned one. At least I saw him play live and knew who BB King was and his contribution to music.

Most times I have to look up who the person a Sig model is named after 

Ever play a Les Paul?  But yeah, I tend to agree that they are silly.   The question I always have is how much input did the artist actually have in the design of the guitar or are they simply receiving a royalty check for the use of the name making it little more than a marketing scheme.   

4 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Ever play a Les Paul?  But yeah, I tend to agree that they are silly.   The question I always have is how much input did the artist actually have in the design of the guitar or are they simply receiving a royalty check for the use of the name making it little more than a marketing scheme.   

Yes owned a few. I like the signature models of Les Paul's. So are those double signature models. 

How many young kids lusting after one even know what his contribution to music is or know he was a real person?

I'm sure some just want to slap their name on it for a check and some get involved.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 6/9/2020 at 7:23 PM, 75 Hummingbird said:

Thanks for sharing .

Late 60`s and 70`s Gibson flattops are underrated ,you can find some wonderful ones .

Just ask John Cougar .

He won't return my calls.

He must me sucking on chili dogs outside the Tasty Freeze.

5 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

A few years ago Martin made a Lucinda Williams D28 model. Has anyone ever seen her with one? I’ve seen her live a few times. Never with a D28. I think she said she wrote a couple songs with one.

I've seen her twice. I think she played a J-45. Did not even know there was a LW D-28. 

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've seen her twice. I think she played a J-45. Did not even know there was a LW D-28. 

She uses a J-45 . She used to tour with a 50’s something J-45. In the last few years she’s using a Standard. Guess she decided to give the 50’s a break from the rigors of the road.