Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to build my first guitar from scratch


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The glass idea is cool but I don’t know anything about working with glass! That’s not an avenue I’d want to go down right now but if someone gave me a glass pickguard I’d be stoked. Another idea is me

This thing is more guitar-like than ever. Neck shaping is done and I’m super super happy with how that turned out. I did my best to copy the neck on my R9 and I think I did a pretty nice job. It feels

All I heard was "I know how to make a guitar from scratch, but I'm incapable of folding a blanket".  🤨

The weather was good and I got pretty much all of my spraying done on the Jr.  I also drilled the tuner and tailpiece holes 

I think just one more round of wet sanding and a final coat and it’s good to go. Still haven’t gotten a decal or painted the headstock face black yet. The finish that I sprayed today looks and feels really good in person though.

 

I’m oiling my Tele neck right now but here’s a pic of my buddy Carlos’ Tele neck from the same piece of wood but with just clear nitro

XGxJ9Aa.jpg

pGt9eDd.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok guys it’s official.. the Jr will be complete someday.


Lots more finish work today and I’m happy with everything but obviously it’s taking some time! I’m going to try to post a short video that shows the chatoyance a bit. So if it works pay attention to how the colors change depending on the viewing angle of the wood grain. It almost looks like the red is blotchy but it’s the grain 

 

OeVupxm.mp4

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I also stripped all the tru oil from the Tele neck and shellac’d it. Sorry Rabs! That’s not because I don’t like tru oil, I just missed a couple scratches that I needed to sand out. I made a fresh batch of shellac the other night so that was a better choice for me vs the un-thinned tru oil at the time

 

Here is a pic of my Tele neck, sealed in shellac but not coated with lacquer. Since this pic was taken I pretty much finished the neck minus the decal and final sanding/polishing. 

YG90QmM.jpg

 


Then I played around with mixing the color for the Tele body but that didn’t come out too hot. The green dye didn’t dissolve all that well and I needed to strain it out better. The other problem was a mean case of fisheye because I didn’t seal the pine enough. Fisheye on a color coat = basura 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No video...   One of the things about this is theres many ways to do different jobs.. I dont think any are better or worse than the other, each person just has to find out what works for them,,,  Its all good 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Here’s the Link maybe that will work. Not missing much anyways if it doesn’t work

 

 

Yup that worked..  Looks just how it should as far as I am concerned..  Really nice...  Love it when the wood does that. [thumbup]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Fester. I sanded the bad color coat off the Tele body and mixed a new color. I’m happy with how it’s turning out this time. I’m sure Imgur will change the color significantly but it looks pretty chartreuse in person

kXeIAWn.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 10:15 AM, rct said:

"Shielding" is vastly way overrated. 

rct

I just realized my telecaster has never had a grounding wire going to the bridge.  After like 8 years of playing it.  I grounded it and I can't tell the difference, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, you have a metal base plate on that pickup, like they used to do with all of them.  I get a copper base and solder the ground to that, keeps me from soldering on that stupid bridge, grounds the whole mess through the screws.  Like they used to.

rct

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the Tele all green and the color coat sealed. Just need to scrape the binding and then finish the clear. The color looks cool in person. 
WZ7L9IQ.jpg

 

Here’s a little test of my binding scraper tool which gives a little sneak peek what it will look like with the binding all scraped 

ZSSWL6D.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And the Jr is finally pretty much done. I’m just gonna do the face of the headstock now but the rest of the finish is done and I’m really happy with it. Lighting was kinda bad for pics where I had it hanging but it looks awesome. The finish is nice and thin and flat and just barely sinks into the grain like on a Gibson

LGtAIw4.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I can’t wait either 😛 I’ll definitely post some sounds at some point  
 

I just glued up a body blank for the next one yesterday 

quEY79c.jpg
 

The plan is to use the double cut template again on this one. I’m thinking Floyd rose and single humbucker. I might go full 80s style and do a hockey stick type headstock . Once I get the Floyd rose in I’m gonna do a little sample mounting so I can figure out the neck angle

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...