Gibson Brands Forums

The Return of The Empty Guitar Box?

SteveFord

I call this one Guitar Case in Unmade Bed.  Artsy Fartsy in an earthy bohemian sort of way.  All it needs is an open pizza box with some half eaten crusts in it and maybe a brassiere hanging out of it.  

Good luck, the dog would run away with everything and chew on it.

S20Mpio.jpg

And now, for the Big Surprise!

I've wanted one of these for 42 years or something stupid like that so here it is, a Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top.  This is a 2011, the one I initially saw was from the 70s when everybody was hogging out the pick up cavities and sticking in humbuckers.

j6bu9R5.jpg

j2jWB9W.jpg

8DkCRGR.jpg

Meanwhile, Lucy got jealous, put on her Sunday go to meeting hat and threatened to leave in a big huff:

1lniiH9.jpg

Edited by SteveFord

Thanks, it does look good when you flip it around.  The previous owner wasn't as careful as I am but at least he didn't play it a whole lot.

What I can tell you about this guitar is it has weight relief so it feels a lot like an earlier Classic which is a good thing.  I was expecting it to weigh as much as my Aunt Meada but it doesn't.  

It has a 50s profile neck on it and when I first picked it up I was prepared to hate it instantly as it's really stout.  OH, crap, I bought this thing?

However, two doses of lemon oil, new strings, a swipe on the nut with a file and a truss rod adjustment and it's just fine.  I had to lower the bridge pick up as the strings were hitting, the action is very low on this one.  Low frets, real easy to play.  After a couple of minutes it just felt like home.

It has a Neutrik jack so you press down on the tab to release the cord.  They must have been really proud of this as you can (dimly) see through the control cavity plate.  

As for the sound, it's brighter than P90s and is similar to a Firebird but with some growl tossed in.  It has its own unique sound to it which was the attraction.  Plus, I always like gold tops, they look classy without being too gaudy.

That pretty much covers it.  It was between this and an ES-Les Paul and I think this will do just fine.  It has the light weight which had me eyeing the ES and it has a different sound so I think this model is a good one.

Nope, you'll pull the knobs right off.

Just did a little reading, it's a chambered body not just weight relieved.  No wonder it reminds me of my 2007 Classic but with a different neck.

I recall an interview where someone at Gibson said you can get the same sustain without having to have a totally solid body thanks to their electronic innovations so maybe that's why they did it.  The customer would look at it and go what's up with this and the salesperson can give their schpiel.

Edited by SteveFord

I just realized I went a whole review without using the obligatory marketing buzzword ICONIC.

If you like Roy Buchanon's ICONIC TONE you'll like this guitar.  It just comes naturally with this one.  It gives you the old icepick to the forehead sound with no amplifier setting adjustments required.