Gibson Brands Forums

The Return of The Empty Guitar Box?

SteveFord

I ordered a beautiful guitar (details to be announced later) as I just couldn't resist.  I've wanted one for over 40 years so maybe it's time to quit procrastinating, one of those deals.

What does the seller do?  First he says he's out of town until Wednesday but will ship Wednesday afternoon (okay, whatever) and THEN he ships it USPS from NY State.

It made it as far as Newark Airport and there it sits since 10/22/2020.

Hmmm...

It's just crazy.  You never know what the hell's going to happen.  You don't REALLY order a guitar, you send someone money to play Postal Roulette.

On a truck?  Maybe but odds are Fat Tony boosted it  at the airport and right now it's being resold to some cump in Hoboken.

No, not a VII, someday that will happen but not this week.

Not a semi hollow, either, but there is one model I kind of have in the back of my mind.  I was going to get it right before I ordered that Firebird Studio and the Empty Box Special but the seller doesn't have a PayPal account and had no intention of ever getting one.  HELLO, it's nearly two thousand and twenty-one...

Edited by SteveFord

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Contacted the seller to see if he can't get the Post Office going to see where the mystery guitar is.

Last scene in beautiful Newark, NJ, the charm spot of the East Coast (sorry, Baltimore)!

I've dealt with the USPS and If there is tracking all they can see is exactly what you see when you type in the tracking number. You have to wait 21 days after the package was supposed to be delivered to make a claim when it doesn't get there. If it is obviously stolen en route that is a different matter.

Not sure if you have ever been to Newark, but there is no beauty there. Jersey chicks with attitude, yes, beauty no. But Beauty Know No Pain.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Ah man sorry you’re dealing with that. It’s much better to be on the buyer side of things in this circumstance with USPS.

I had USPS lose a couple expensive microphones and to say it was a nightmare getting the refund is a HUGE understatement. Even though I specifically paid to insure the package for the value it sold for on reverb, getting USPS to pay up is incredibly difficult. Took me about 3 months and probably about 48 solid hours on hold

I think its a Marauder or a Corvus. I'll pee my pants if you get something with CMF on the headstock, like a D-42, and the D-42 is a full hollow body.

So, seriously what is the count of CV-19 guitars you bought Steve? I won't tell your wife.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

A couple, I guess.  I have the Martin I want so will probably not go looking for a second one.

I don't know why this guy used USPS, UPS and FedEx are like clockwork.

The seller is going to see what he can do but I'm not too hopeful.  Then again, maybe it'll get shaken loose and show up on Friday, that would make for a really great ending.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

A couple, I guess.  I have the Martin I want so will probably not go looking for a second one.

I don't know why this guy used USPS, UPS and FedEx are like clockwork.

The seller is going to see what he can do but I'm not too hopeful.  Then again, maybe it'll get shaken loose and show up on Friday, that would make for a really great ending.

Well I certainly hope so.

Otherwise it's going to start to feel personal. 

• Like 1

EvilBay with PayPal so it'll be okay.  I've put in an Item Not Received bit and the seller says he's going to see if he can't get the Post Office to see what's going on.  

With that missing Les Paul Classic from Canada the tracking stopped once it went into the US so I don't know if it went into Newark Airport or not.  

I'm sure they're having their share of problems as COVID-19 cases are going bananas here, I'm sure it's worse in NJ.  It could just but sitting in a pile in a warehouse there.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:50 AM, SteveFord said:

I ordered a beautiful guitar (details to be announced later) as I just couldn't resist.  I've wanted one for over 40 years so maybe it's time to quit procrastinating, one of those deals.

What does the seller do?  First he says he's out of town until Wednesday but will ship Wednesday afternoon (okay, whatever) and THEN he ships it USPS from NY State.

It made it as far as Newark Airport and there it sits since 10/22/2020.

Hmmm...

At least it wasn't coming on a SLOW boat from China? Haha. By the way, I gave up on that slow boat and went a different route. 

The local post office can’t help at all unless the box is sitting right there in front of them and the tracking tells them so. 

Otherwise as frustrating and hard as it is to believe, the people at USPS have no information beyond what you’ve already seen on the tracking page. 

The seller should look on the USPS website to get instructions on what to do here. He needs to wait a period of time after the last tracking update to file a claim on the USPS website. I think it’s 30 days. From that point I really hope that since it’s ebay he has an easier time with the claims dept. They didn’t want to accept any of Reverb’s forms as proof of payment for me.. ebay should be more straightforward but I have found USPS is very motivated to not pay 

and I seriously hope he bought insurance cause he could be screwed. But he should pay you back before he gets refunded cause it’s gonna take a month minimum

What's my SG?  I have 3 of them, a 2020 Standard, a 2017 Alpine White gold plated everything and a 2012 61 Reissue with a super skinny neck.

However, the box showed up today and it was NOT empty.

It's a miracle!

By the way, Charlie Brown has some REALLY nice SGs.  He's really into them.  Nice guy, I miss seeing him around the forum.

Edited by SteveFord