Gibson Brands Forums

Mermaid in Scotland

IanHenry

I think you have to be brought up as a child in an environment like that. We have a tv show about a half dozen families who have individual homesteads in Northern Alaska on Federal land.  It is pitch black and below zero for 4 months of the year.  Not much better except for 2 months of summer.  I’m sure it is much more livable in The Hebrides.  But not even a beautiful mermaid such as she could ever get me into that water!   

15 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I think you have to be brought up as a child in an environment like that. We have a tv show about a half dozen families who have individual homesteads in Northern Alaska on Federal land.  It is pitch black and below zero for 4 months of the year.  Not much better except for 2 months of summer.  I’m sure it is much more livable in The Hebrides.  But not even a beautiful mermaid such as she could ever get me into that water!   

Deb & I took a swim in a cold glacier lake in the month of June in Alaska.  "Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire."

There was a documentary on a Nordic swimmer who was swimming daily in icy waters. His physiology had changed to accommodate this. No idea how long this takes, but perseverance is the key.

With lockdown this year, Cherry was unable to pool swim at her gym. This was making her crazy, as she swims a lot. So she started sea swimming at various places locally. This meant getting a wet suit and joining at least one local group of sea swimmers. I joined her a few times at Hill Head. But winter swimming? especially in those northern waters? Well I reckon we'll leave that to the mermaids!

• Like 1