Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Hoochie Mama ...

01GT eibach

With the prices of Les Pauls creeping northward and my desire to get one with P90s, now seemed the time to act.   I really prefer having the trapezoid fret markers, body/neck binding, HSC, etc.   Because it was a 2018 model in 2020, it was initially discounted from the 2018 price -- and then with a  load of additional GC discounts which really drove the price wayyy down.   This one was brand-spanking new and cost less than what even the open-box and used ones are selling for.  I could not pass it up.

2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic Player Plus with a  "vintage sunburst" satin finish:

- AA top w/ non-weight-relieved body

- "Rounded" neck with cryogenic-treated frets and rolled fretboard edges; Richlite board

- "Tektoid" graphite nut and titanium saddles

Initial impressions:

Out of the case, it had a very nice flame to the top, which I know can vary a lot from guitar to guitar.  Also, the guitar was surprisingly a bit dirty and with super high action, and  the strings were dead after sitting for two years.  I lowered the action, changed strings, and intonated it -- the pickups were super high, so I lowered those too.  The guitar has no fret buzz or dead spots even with the lower action.  The guitar plays like a dream now with very little setup.  The neck and fretwork are just perfect.  The neck is not at all chunky like I was expecting, and the guitar surprisingly seems only a little heavier than my weight-relieved 2010 humbucker Les Paul.  The Richlite board is very dark, but perfectly playable.  The P90s really scream and sound great with high gain and clean tones -- clearly validating my purchase decision.  The only noticeable flaw was a minor chip on the very top edge of the headstock (you can see it in the pic, hopefully).  Everything else was so right on the guitar, I am keeping it regardless of the minor headstock flaw ... I think this guitar chose me.

HwWTHNC.jpg

SW7TWUy.jpg

rgsojRY.jpg

hIPIf76.jpg

TaA4mB0.jpg

XseQu4x.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

GC is no longer selling the "vintage sunburst" that I got, with only the transparent red and blue finishes available.  If that finish is really sold out (and it may not be), then I will feel really good about getting off the sideline and pulling the trigger on this one just in time.  The red is definitely nice, but I really prefer the old-style burst, especially considering the guitar's 50s cues (non-weight relieved, P90s, rounded neck, etc.).