Gibson Brands Forums

"Older than dirt" strings

ksdaddy

One of my guitars was bought from an ebayer who (1) has a brick and mortar store with lots of memorabilia and (2) is/was some kind of promoter or otherwise involved in booking acts for various venues. As such, he had taken the opportunity to have acts autograph items as the situations presented themselves.

I have no idea how this guitar came to be in his store. It's a 1998 Martin DM that appears to be brand new. Brand new in the sense that there is absolutely no marks on it, no shiny spots on the flat finish, almost no pick marks, and the fretboard and bridge are both dry as a bone. The strings are as black as a crow's armpit. It so seriously looks like it's been sitting in the corner.

It has autographs all over the top. Charlie Pride, John Schneider, Marty Raybon, Mark Chesnutt,  Johnny Lee(?), Gene Watson, Ronnie McDowell and some guy named George Jones. I think that's all. I am under the impression that it came to him new and it became a display item in the store once signatures began to amass. I didn't buy it specifically for the autographs. I bought it because it was a USA made Martin for $450.

The fretboard desperately needs oiling, as does the bridge. The nut slots could stand a swipe or two with a file while I'm there. I've owned it a year.

Problem is... I really really like the way this sounds. To the point where I'm  afraid to take the strings off. It is entirely possible it has the original strings on it. Over the year I've owned it, I've polished a lot of the rust off the strings just by handling it and playing it. I know if I start loosening them , there's a high probability they will pop. 

They measure 11-52, which is not a gauge I would normally buy. Other than that, no knowing what they might be. I actually bought some old Martin catalogs on ebay today in hopes there will be a mention  as to what they were shipped with.

I will reach a point where I have to change them but if I lose that thump, I'm going to die.

Not a guitar but I once bought some  magazines, trade journals and such from the 1960s which came out of the office of a music promoter or something.  I just thought they would be an interesting read.  While leafing through them I noticed some of the pages were autographed.  Mostly jazz musicians.  But then I stumbled across this in a  Downbeat magazine.    

Watts-Drum-Ad.jpg

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hall said:

You'll know when you have to do so.  No matter with what though, you have to go into therapy right now to prepare for at least some change!

What he said.  Play until it loses the thump you like.  Put on some used EJ-16's on it and see where that goes.  Put some money away for counseling too.  

53 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Mostly jazz musicians.  But then I stumbled across this in a  Downbeat magazine.    

Let's not forget that Watts started as and in his core was and still is a jazz-man with a ditto-heart. Don't know if it still happens, but earlier the softer version of the Stone once in a while could be heard fx at the little-big London club called Ronnie Scott's. This went down under the name Charlie Watts Quintet. An ensemble with a quite impressing album-catalog behind them. 

Here's a tribute to C. Parker. 

The Charlie Watts Quintet - A Tribute To Charlie Parker With Strings (1992,  Digipack, CD) | Discogs

Eeehhh, , , don't know to which degree he actually played the alto sax. 

Some here will disagree, but I am not an advocate of the grimy old strings.  I think if you put a fresh set of the same gauge on it won't loose too much.  Certainly they will sound brighter than the old ones, but I think the tone of the guitar comes mostly from the guitar and it will still sound good with new strings.  I wouldn't sacrifice my dried out fretboard and bridge for an old set of strings.

54 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

I wouldn't sacrifice my dried out fretboard and bridge for an old set of strings.

Agree - so why not take the chance and loosen/rewind. One can always turn to the old always reliable but hard perform bronze-knot-trick.

phFryjg.jpg  

2kXpWTV.jpg

Bear with the dust. 

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Agree - so why not take the chance and loosen/rewind. One can always turn to the old always reliable but hard perform bronze-knot-trick.

phFryjg.jpg  

2kXpWTV.jpg

Bear with the dust. 

I see you actually tied a proper square knot. You must be a sailor at heart.

I believe I was right. It has it's original strings. I took them off, with a set of John Pearse at the ready. I oiled the board and bridge, and wiped the old strings down. If they survive going back to pitch, I'll drive them a while longer. (pics are pre-oiling...)

AuPz5Md.jpg

zowoS8t.jpg

Kga1l5h.jpg?1

FzXsNTY.jpg?1

@ksdaddyWow, that guitar is pristine (in a dirty way).  Very cool to see.  

18 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Wow, that's something special.  I wish I would have thought of that years ago.  😄

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2021 at 3:55 PM, ksdaddy said:

One of my guitars was bought from an ebayer who (1) has a brick and mortar store with lots of memorabilia and (2) is/was some kind of promoter or otherwise involved in booking acts for various venues. As such, he had taken the opportunity to have acts autograph items as the situations presented themselves.

I have no idea how this guitar came to be in his store. It's a 1998 Martin DM that appears to be brand new. Brand new in the sense that there is absolutely no marks on it, no shiny spots on the flat finish, almost no pick marks, and the fretboard and bridge are both dry as a bone. The strings are as black as a crow's armpit. It so seriously looks like it's been sitting in the corner.

It has autographs all over the top. Charlie Pride, John Schneider, Marty Raybon, Mark Chesnutt,  Johnny Lee(?), Gene Watson, Ronnie McDowell and some guy named George Jones. I think that's all. I am under the impression that it came to him new and it became a display item in the store once signatures began to amass. I didn't buy it specifically for the autographs. I bought it because it was a USA made Martin for $450.

The fretboard desperately needs oiling, as does the bridge. The nut slots could stand a swipe or two with a file while I'm there. I've owned it a year.

Problem is... I really really like the way this sounds. To the point where I'm  afraid to take the strings off. It is entirely possible it has the original strings on it. Over the year I've owned it, I've polished a lot of the rust off the strings just by handling it and playing it. I know if I start loosening them , there's a high probability they will pop. 

They measure 11-52, which is not a gauge I would normally buy. Other than that, no knowing what they might be. I actually bought some old Martin catalogs on ebay today in hopes there will be a mention  as to what they were shipped with.

I will reach a point where I have to change them but if I lose that thump, I'm going to die.

Bert Jansch liked dead strings.

He could play pretty sporty...