Gibson Brands Forums

Why did the 335 never put the jack on the bottom of the guitar?

Revelation

Why do you think Gibson never moved the guitar jack to the bottom of the body like a Les Paul or SG? It seems having guitar cable hanging down from the body of the guitar not only does not looks good, but it can be in the way and put more pressure on the cable to bend more.  

So that if your Guitar Strap slips & you drop the Guitar the Jack doesn’t go through your Guitar.. Which happened to me at a Gig playing a J-160E.. It really sucked! It was unplayable. A Hole in the Guitar, cracked the Wood & needed a costly repair... 

Probably because it was easier to produce that way - they just had to drill all the holes in the top.  Easier and quicker to wire too. 

Also I can imagine that if they assembled the guitar and someone messed up drilling a hole in the side, it could be harder to deal with than on the top...?

[cool]

Edited by jdgm

Like SGT Pepper, I like a 90 degree cable for front-mounted output jacks, but I also like to loop the cable around thru the strap for extra security. 

It's embarrassing as hell to be playing live and really getting into it, only to step on the cable and have it either pull out, or do damage to the front of your guitar.

😑

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Like SGT Pepper, I like a 90 degree cable for front-mounted output jacks, but I also like to loop the cable around thru the strap for extra security. 

It's embarrassing as hell to be playing live and really getting into it, only to step on the cable and have it either pull out, or do damage to the front of your guitar.

😑

Yep. Its a mistake everyone makes once. Then you realise 'oh yeah, that's why everybody loops the cable...' 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2021 at 10:36 AM, sparquelito said:

😑

The very reason I went wireless, I was constantly stepping on my cable & concerned that it would eventually cause damage to a guitar.