Gibson Brands Forums

Earliest known Banner Gibson

jt

Hello, all.

Some of you may appreciate this. I recently acquired the earliest known guitar by the Kalamazoo Gals: a 1942 LG-2 that shipped August 24, 1942. The FON is 7080H-2. Batch 7080H is the first-known batch f Banner Gibsons. The Banner Registry contains another guitar from this batch, but it is the eighth guitar in the batch. This is the second in the batch and likely the second Banner Gibson that the Gals made.

Cooler is that a US soldier took this guitar to the WWII Pacific battlefront.

It is also one of the finest sounding guitars that I’ve had the privilege to play.

A video recording of the guitar.

Edited by jt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Congrats on a NGD that can't be beat!    I can see why folks rave about the old LG-2s now.   Wonder if the extra-hi humidity in the South Pacific affected it when it was 'new'. 

Though you can’t see in the YouTube video, the entire finish is crazed. Plus, both top and back feature a few (well-prepared) cracks. Of course, most old Gibsons exhibit these features. Still, that humidity and the journey to and from the Pacific could not have helped. 🙂

John, that is very cool! The guitar both looks and sounds great, and I hear no hints of "mediocracy" in your playing.

Lars

By the way, I just checked and my old Banner is the fifth J-45 from the top in the registry. The FON is 7721H-14. You don´t happen to know when and were it was shipped? It would be really cool to know more about its history.

2 hours ago, Lars68 said:

John, that is very cool! The guitar both looks and sounds great, and I hear no hints of "mediocracy" in your playing.

Lars

By the way, I just checked and my old Banner is the fifth J-45 from the top in the registry. The FON is 7721H-14. You don´t happen to know when and were it was shipped? It would be really cool to know more about its history.

Thanks, Lars!

Alas, the ledgers do not list the FONs of shipped guitars. The only way to know when a guitar shipped is to approximated when the original purchaser purchased it and from which retailer. The ledgers just list model number and the retailer to whom it was shipped.

Yours is a beautiful J-45!

DSC04818.JPG

On 2/15/2021 at 4:51 PM, jt said:

Thanks, Lars!

Alas, the ledgers do not list the FONs of shipped guitars. The only way to know when a guitar shipped is to approximated when the original purchaser purchased it and from which retailer. The ledgers just list model number and the retailer to whom it was shipped.

Yours is a beautiful J-45!

That guitar looks familiar 😊 That is a photo Willi Henkes sent me after repairing it back in 2011/12. I guess he put it up on the registry. That guitar has been an inspiration for me, ever since I first got it, almost ten years ago. It has motivated me to become better at this hobby. I was and still am, to use tennis lingo, a parks player, but I can make it sound better today than I could in the past.

John, you don't happen to have some more photos of your guitar?

Lars

Edited by Lars68

21 hours ago, Lars68 said:

That guitar looks familiar 😊 That is a photo Willi Henkes sent me after repairing it back in 2011/12. I guess he put it up on the registry. That guitar has been an inspiration for me, ever since I first got it, almost ten years ago. It has motivated me to become better at this hobby. I was and still am, to use tennis lingo, a parks player, but I can make it sound better today than I could in the past.

John, you don't happen to have some more photos of your guitar?

Lars

I love the tennis lingo.

I've been playing the guitar too much to take many photos. I'll rectify that. For now, I offer this:

LG-2 Full Small.jpg