Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Acoustic mystery model.. help me lol

Grey01

Hello all, while stationed overseas I dreamed of owning an acoustic electric Gibson.. moved to Hawaii and bam! Found a sweat heart... one issue no identification sticker inside and with the serial number all I can find is made in Montana and it was aug 2011... I would  add pics but  this site says error each time I try. it has the exact look of a Southern Jumbo but the pick guard is different.. same bridge and look.. also it looks a lot like a songbird but no birds on the inlays.. any ideas? Oh and it has L.R baggs pickups 

at first glance i thought it was a hummingbird studio, but as others have said the pickguard is a songwriter pickguard. the songwriter has a belly-down or the moustache bridge though so I believe your guitar has a replaced bridge on it. congrats on the new guitar! looks great!

14 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Tempted to say a Hummingbird Pro. The back'n'sides are definitely mahogany, but the body-shape itself is modified toward something curvier/slimmer. 
Probably a splendid guitar. 

Enjoy

After looking at more photos, I believe you are correct: Hummingbird Pro.

2 minutes ago, j45nick said:

After looking at more photos, I believe you are correct: Hummingbird Pro.

👍 , , , and when saying curvier/slimmer, I meant than the traditional square shouldered Gibson mentioned by the thread-host in post 1.

Good to know.    I dont own either one myself.   So these little changes of the details of the body change the model name.    

I owned a CL 30 back when they came out.    It was a great sounding, nice playing guitar. 

6 minutes ago, bobouz said:

It is indeed a Hummingbird Pro.  This model was a regular staple in every Guitar Center known to the universe, selling new for $1999 before sales or discounts.

Is the edit function gone?  I’ll just add to the above that, yes, this model was built on the slightly smaller-dread platform of the Songwriter.  I recall it being advertised as, “A no-bird Bird.”  Obviously trying to trade off of the Hummingbird name, but who cares?  It should be a fine instrument - Enjoy!

4 minutes ago, bobouz said:

Is the edit function gone?  I’ll just add to the above that, yes, this model was built on the slightly smaller-dread platform of the Songwriter.  I recall it being advertised as, “A no-bird Bird.”  Obviously trying to trade off of the Hummingbird name, but who cares?  It should be a fine instrument - Enjoy!

The edit function is now up in the corner where the three dots reside.  It threw me at first as well.

13 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The edit function is now up in the corner where the three dots reside.  It threw me at first as well.

They should have online training when they change the forum. What are we just supposed to magically know how the new format works?

16 hours ago, bobouz said:

It is indeed a Hummingbird Pro.  This model was a regular staple in every Guitar Center known to the universe, selling new for $1999 before sales or discounts.

Dang that's right on... all i knew was that i had seen it on the wall in every acoustic room in every GC ive been in since about 2002. 

• 2 weeks later...