Gibson Brands Forums

New Murphy Lab Models

Rabs

On 3/13/2021 at 8:10 AM, ghost_of_fl said:

Ah yes the Battle of the Rhineland - wherein the great Canadian commander Dwight D Eisenhower led his hosers to victory.  😆

Screenshot-20210313-080506.png

As I remember it, D. D. Eisenhower was an Army General and President of the US.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

I was thinking how embarrassing this whole fake old guitar thing is and if I owned the company I'd shut it that department down and try to pretend it never happened and then I spied the bit about how they feature

chemically-recreated plastics.

I must admit the error of my ways.    Take my 10 Gs and make me happy!!!

The almighty dollar means more that integrity. And like I have been told shut your mouth cause if they didn't sell they wouldn't make 'em. Met a guy about 10 to 15 years older than me in the store yesterday who loved my FZ - Weasels Ripped My Flesh t-shirt. We talked for a  bit about Zappa . He loved Bongo Fury, Grand Wazoo and Freak Out!

On 3/12/2021 at 4:59 AM, merciful-evans said:

Yes. And as a follow up, then got your @ss kicked by the Canadians when you tried to 'liberate' them. 

How did we lose to a country full of beavers and moose or is it moose's?

Didn't we have to come and bail Europe out of the 1st and 2nd WW. If not you guys would be speaking German.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Didn't we have to come and bail Europe out of the 1st and 2nd WW. If not you guys would be speaking German.

Eventually you did yeah..   thanks.....

😛 

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Love ya Merc. The ball is now in your court.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Love ya Merc. The ball is now in your court.

You baited me dintcha sarge? Had I been my usual sunny self I'd have smiled & shrugged it off. Ok, then:

1/ We might all be subjugated if the Germans made the A Bomb first. So Norway won WW2. 

2/ We gave up the last of the empire because it was wrong. Its also a PITA. Just look at N Ireland, the Falklands & ScotlandBut America is doing it now with its own fiscal empire. When are you going to liberate us from KFC, McDonalds, Amazon, Walmart etc? Our children are becoming obese and saying 'sodder' instead of solder. 

3/ Without the British military presence in  America, you'd all be speaking French. 

4/ If you had not rebelled in 1776 you would all have still been speaking English.

5/ Frank Zappa would agree with me.

6/ I cant think of a 6, but there probably is a really really good one.

I rest my case.👅

Why a thread on pre-beat up guitars keeps wandering over to  wars from the last century and earlier is beyond me.

I'll pipe in, though: we owe so much to the British.  If Hitler had beat us to the bomb, well, different people would be here but probably not us.  Most likely our ancestors would have perished.

It is really strange to see the rise of Fascism around the world.  I've got news for these pinheads, your grandparents would tar and feather you and for good reason.  They didn't fight them because they were bored.

And now, back to our episode of Pre Beat Up Guitars (and the people who love them).

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

You baited me dintcha sarge? Had I been my usual sunny self I'd have smiled & shrugged it off. Ok, then:

1/ We might all be subjugated if the Germans made the A Bomb first. So Norway won WW2. 

2/ We gave up the last of the empire because it was wrong. Its also a PITA. Just look at N Ireland, the Falklands & ScotlandBut America is doing it now with its own fiscal empire. When are you going to liberate us from KFC, McDonalds, Amazon, Walmart etc? Our children are becoming obese and saying 'sodder' instead of solder. 

3/ Without the British military presence in  America, you'd all be speaking French. 

4/ If you had not rebelled in 1776 you would all have still been speaking English.

5/ Frank Zappa would agree with me.

6/ I cant think of a 6, but there probably is a really really good one.

I rest my case.👅

Nice. Good to see someone but me has a sense of humor.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Why a thread on pre-beat up guitars keeps wandering over to  wars from the last century and earlier is beyond me.

I'll pipe in, though: we owe so much to the British.  If Hitler had beat us to the bomb, well, different people would be here but probably not us.  Most likely our ancestors would have perished.

It is really strange to see the rise of Fascism around the world.  I've got news for these pinheads, your grandparents would tar and feather you and for good reason.  They didn't fight them because they were bored.

And now, back to our episode of Pre Beat Up Guitars (and the people who love them).

Most of us are known rule breakers.

So all new Custom Shop guitars being sold at stores are these Murphy Lab guitars - so it seems. Reissues were expensive, now the only option for a reissue is to pay a relic premium... This is why I buy used most of the time. But seems today if you wanted a new 58 reissue, you’re gonna get one aged and spend in the area of $7500! Not in the market for one, but even an SG north of $5k... We’ve talked about the extra labor and costs etc with this, but not thrilled with the decision to only put out relics that cost more than the VOS Historics. Seems like a price hike of sorts if you’re a guy who goes for new. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

1 hour ago, NighthawkChris said:

@SteveFord yeah it just seemed where I was looking around at a few different shops that sell Gibson Custom Shop guitars only were getting in all these relics only. Well I don’t think people are rushing to the stores to get these latest releases. Could be wrong but I don’t think so. 

I was in CG this weekend cause I need a fresh set of the humidity packs for my D-15M and the acoustic room was wiped out. 3 Martins (all lower end Mexican made stuff, 2 Gibson's (an L-00 Studio and one other model I didn't recognize), a Taylor or two, and a maybe 20 of $550 and below stuff.

These Murphys Lab models are being talked up everywhere I look. I'd never even heard of them prior to this OP vid. 

To be fair, they do look like they are properly worn. Most of the relics we see look artificial. 

I dont mind a guitar looking old, I've had a couple myself; but they looked old because they were old. Even if I had the moolah, I couldn't buy a relic. I'd feel like a cheat.

1 hour ago, NighthawkChris said:

@SteveFord yeah it just seemed where I was looking around at a few different shops that sell Gibson Custom Shop guitars only were getting in all these relics only. Well I don’t think people are rushing to the stores to get these latest releases. Could be wrong but I don’t think so. 

A ploy for the times? Lets distribute these ML guitars now and really see how desperate people are to buy. 

8 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I was in CG this weekend cause I need a fresh set of the humidity packs for my D-15M and the acoustic room was wiped out. 3 Martins (all lower end Mexican made stuff, 2 Gibson's (an L-00 Studio and one other model I didn't recognize), a Taylor or two, and a maybe 20 of $550 and below stuff.

Ours is terrible.  Almost nothing left.  Mention it to them, even to the mature adults that have been in there since it opened, same crap: "Yeah man, trucks can't get through the snow.  Should be a big on coming up...".  Months now.  This one and the one 50 miles from here, same story.

Right.

rct

When you say CG, we are talking about Guitar Center I take it. But yeah mine near me - 3 of them - are pretty bare as well. They seem to be more warehousing and doing online stuff or whatever. I don’t do a lot of business with GC because well, I just don’t. Maybe some pro audio stuff or a steal in their used stuff, but they are what they are. You look at their Gibson Custom stuff a lot of these ML guitars and seems to be what they’re getting. Music Zoo, sure some other shops are getting the same MLs. Oh well, I’m a used guitar purchaser mostly as this suits me best I feel. 

Overall just wondering is this is the trend to hype these by releasing only these guitars for their Custom Shop selection. Pure speculation at this point on my behalf. 

That's exactly how the one in this area is - bare walls and dusty shelves.

The GC employees were great to deal with but it didn't look good.  I know bashing on GC is a national past time but they've always been really good to me.  They screw  things up every so often but they make it right.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

That's exactly how the one in this area is - bare walls and dusty shelves.

The GC employees were great to deal with but it didn't look good.  I know bashing on GC is a national past time but they've always been really good to me.  They screw  things up every so often but they make it right.

Yeah they aren’t the best but could be worse. Well, apparently it’s a thing where they are trimming the fat it seems reading here and seeing for my very own 2 eyes. I’ve bought some great stuff from them over the years so not complaining. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Low self esteem causing you to lash out at people you don't know lately?  You need some advice you probably don't want to hear.

Like my father used to say, "What the He[[ is the matter with you?"

If my Aunt was a Man she’d be my Uncle..... so much for hypotheticals....

• 2 months later...