Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod adjustment loose

Asphaltcowboy

New j45 when I first opened the cap it was tight both ways the truss rod but not even a complete 360 when I loosen it there is no tension it just slides smoot is this normal? At this point the guitar isn’t crazy bow or under bow new to truss rods just seems weird very easy to move when I loosen it and I have fret buzz still especially with 2nd fret D string the fret seems too close to me compared to my last j45 just weird and hard to play

Truss rods are not to be turned 360’.  There like a 1/8 of a turn ,thats it. Any tighter you will tighten that neck up so much it will split the neck. Or bust the trussrod.  

I think these have a double rod inside ,  at least they did  for a time  

You sure you want to attempt a adjustment?
Or give it to a luthier to get into working order? 

Edited by slimt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Asphaltcowboy said:

J45 standard now

j45 avant garde previous had richlite be rosewood dunno if rosewood is somehow harder to play that richlite 

Richlite is a epoxy resin wannabe ebony.  which ebony is a hard wood .

rosewood is a softer wood.  Your standard should be rosewood. Which is  the most commonly used on 45s 

please do yourself a solid,  look up "setting guitar neck relief" on youtube.

Truss rod adjustments are typically 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 of a turn to remove forward or back bow.

The truss rod should be free to move, but there should always be tension of some degree in the turning of the bolt.

what you're doing is way out of scope for what is intended. 

Edited by kidblast

AC, the best bet would probably be for you to take the guitar in to a luthier to get a nice setup done.  Then watch a few tutorials on truss rod adjustment so you'll be able to approach it properly in the future, if need be.   From the factory setting, only tiny increments would normally be needed to dial it in.  A 90 degree turn, let alone 360, would be considered massive & potentially dangerous if tightening.

Hope it all gets sorted out to your satisfaction.

I can only echo what others have said.  If t takes any more than 1/4 of a turn I take the guitar in to the repair guy to let him deal with it.

It took me over 55 years to accomplish it but I finally broke a truss rod.  It was in my oldest Harmony Sovereign.  While finding a replacement is impossible without enlarging the channel, the rod came out after a some tugging.    A bit of shortening, re-threading , a new nut and it went right back in.  

42 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I can only echo what others have said.  If t takes any more than 1/4 of a turn I take the guitar in to the repair guy to let him deal with it.

It took me over 55 years to accomplish it but I finally broke a truss rod.  It was in my oldest Harmony Sovereign.  While finding a replacement is impossible without enlarging the channel, the rod came out after a some tugging.    A bit of shortening, re-threading , a new nut and it went right back in.  

My Super400 truss rod was frozen and I snapped the end off. Stewmac tools were used to bore around the rod and rethread it. Learned a lesson to have my luthier bend the neck and to use the rod to hold it in place. He said to be careful with these older guitar truss rods and never force them. 

Bozeman should attach a gummed label warning on the Truss Rod Cover.   Like the warnings we get telling us that “California has found the  materials in this mattress can cause back pain and cancer.”   And. “California has found sticking  a knife in this toaster could make you toast.” 

6 hours ago, Dave F said:

My Super400 truss rod was frozen and I snapped the end off. Stewmac tools were used to bore around the rod and rethread it. Learned a lesson to have my luthier bend the neck and to use the rod to hold it in place. He said to be careful with these older guitar truss rods and never force them. 

Yeah, the rod had corroded enough to cause the threads to bind in the nut.   We were able to do a kitchen repair which took about 1/2 hour.