Gibson Brands Forums

Mr. Winter...the other one

brad1

It sure is. 

Rick Derringer and Edgar Winter are lifelong friends, and they met thru Johnny. 
And they have been working together, collaborating, and touring together for decades. 

I'm a big fan of the Blue Sky Records family of artists, The Edgar Winter Group, Rick Derringer, Dan Hartman, etc, etc. 
🙂

web1_Derringer-Winter2018225123931248.jp

• Like 1

I saw him once at the Royal Albert Hall..  Had no idea who he was at the time.. And he was the warm up act too...  One of the best bands I had ever seen. Very tight and Edgar is just an amazing musician.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Funnily enough I also saw him at the RAH with his brother, the "Second Winter" band.

[thumbup]

Nice.  When I saw him (2004 I think) he was supporting Albert Lee..  In comparison we walked out about half way through the Albert Lee part..  He was pretty weird and boring and certainly crap compared to Edgar and co..

44 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

The OP's video features the quintessential Edgar Winter Group lineup. Chuck Ruff on drums. 
   Edgar Winter on keys, saxophone, and percussion.
   Rick Derringer on guitar. 
   Dan Hartman on bass. 

Yeah, and besides Derringer, at some point Ronnie Montrose was in with Edgar Winter's band too.  Myself being a rock guitar player born and raised in the SF Bay Area, I have to give this call out to Ronnie.  Besides his "Montrose" stuff with Hagar that most/some people are quite familiar with, there was also a bunch of great non-Hagar Montrose stuff too that was arguable just as good.  And then, of course, post-Montrose there was his band Gamma in the 1980s ... one of my favorite bands of all time.   Outside of the Bay Area, Gamma was pretty much completely overlooked across the board ... which is a complete crime in my eyes, as they were sooooo good.   (Sorry for the diversion; I couldn't help myself)

Ronnie+Montrose.jpg

R-2575865-1329044918.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

Yeah, and besides Derringer, at some point Ronnie Montrose was in with Edgar Winter's band too.  Myself being a rock guitar player born and raised in the SF Bay Area, I have to give this call out to Ronnie.  Besides his "Montrose" stuff with Hagar that most/some people are quite familiar with, there was also a bunch of great non-Hagar Montrose stuff too that was arguable just as good.  And then, of course, post-Montrose there was his band Gamma in the 1980s ... one of my favorite bands of all time.   Outside of the Bay Area, Gamma was pretty much completely overlooked across the board ... which is a complete crime in my eyes, as they were sooooo good.   (Sorry for the diversion; I couldn't help myself)

Ronnie+Montrose.jpg

R-2575865-1329044918.jpeg.jpg

YES sir. 
You are correct in bringing Ronnie Montrose to the front of the discussion. 
Ronnie played on the original Frankenstein, which is an epic, weird, wild, dysfunctional blend of jazz and rock. 
He was the guitar player on They Only Come Out At Night. 

Rick Derringer was merely the producer on that record. 

Frankenstein was the name given to an elderly jam that Edgar and Johnny had crafted years earlier, and what we hear on the original LP was merely a moment in time. 

It was called Frankenstein because it was cobbled together from so many pieces of recording tape that it looked like a horrible Frankenstein monster to Rick and Edgar and everyone else in the studio. 
🙂

Montrose was a brilliant player - I'll never forget the first time I was audio-sandbagged by that 1st Montrose LP produced by Ted Templeman.

And (much later) he played with Tony Williams.  Such a shame that he is gone too, now.

HERE'S an interesting version of FRANKENSTEIN in that it shows Edgar was more than just a fantastic keys and sax player.  And BTW----

That's Tommy Shannon on bass( who later played bass for SRV).  Not sure who the drummer in red is.

Whitefang

19 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Yeah, that is Rick Derringer rocking on the LP Custom too (I am pretty sure).

9997304d3f9eccdd78bdfb631bdff8e2.jpg

The LP's I owned were never that pointy. I have the album that photo is on called  Guitars And Women. Rick nailed it they cost and they take so damn much. Rick was in Johnny Winter And . . . as well. He was did an album with Carmine Appice called DNA (Derringer N Appice).  Of course he was in the McCoys, and the silly song he did for WWF. I think the song was  - I Am A Real American. And There was DBA - Derringer, Bogert & Appice, and many sessions with lots of artists.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper