Gibson Brands Forums

Help me date my guitar please.

Hi there,

Looking to date a Gibson J-45 that was purchased new in 1957. The serial number is on the back of the headstock, first 5 numbers are very clear. Final 6th digit is harder to see but is definately there.

Number : 156525

The guitar is a cherry burst J-45 with and has the adjustable bridge. It for sure was purchsed in 57 and the owner passed away in 69. It has lived in it's non Gibson original case in a closet for the last 52 years. Light fret wear on frets 2 and 3.....but it is a perfect example of the 57 J-45.

Please Help !! Lol

11 minutes ago, Matchstick Mike said:

Hi there,

Looking to date a Gibson J-45 that was purchased new in 1957. The serial number is on the back of the headstock, first 5 numbers are very clear. Final 6th digit is harder to see but is definately there.

Number : 156525

The guitar is a cherry burst J-45 with and has the adjustable bridge. It for sure was purchsed in 57 and the owner passed away in 69. It has lived in it's non Gibson original case in a closet for the last 52 years. Light fret wear on frets 2 and 3.....but it is a perfect example of the 57 J-45.

Please Help !! Lol

If you are sure it was new in 1957 then why do you want to date it? I looked it up and all the J-45's show a burst to fit your description. Prices all vary.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Retired said:

If you are sure it was new in 1957 then why do you want to date it? I looked it up and all the J-45's show a burst to fit your description. Prices all vary.  

Because I am selling it. It's not showing up as 57, its showing 64. The guitar was purchased by my uncle in 57. Serial number shows Kalamazoo 64. Not possible.

40 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

At least two online resources (Guitar Dater Project and GuitarInSite) would have us believe that your serial number belongs to a Gibson made in Kalamazoo in 1964.

Very odd. 

🤔

Right ? It was purchased at Herbie's music store in 1957 in Fredericton, NB Canada.

Dates all say 64. My uncle bought it. In 57.

So now you've started an endless investigation, as different options are limited.

If the number's on the head stock it might have had a replacement neck.
If it's a labeling error you'd never really know.
If you were a little kid when he bought it, and you remember from being there at the time, or have a dated receipt, you still wouldn't know why the numbers are wack.
If your uncle didn't know and just told everyone it was a '57, you'd choose what to believe.

I hope somebody gets closer to the answer. I hate not to know!

• Like 1

It would be different if your Uncle said he bought it new in '57 and the number indicated either '56 or '58, but you're talkin' a seven year difference.  Now MY curiosity is champing the bit!  

Would surely like to know what's up with all that.  [wink]

Whitefang

I think a 57 would of had a dark burst.   A 64 which is the number you gave would possibly have a cherry burst.     And chances are it might even have a plastic bridge. Not that it makes much difference. 

Edited by slimt
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jedzep said:

So now you've started an endless investigation, as different options are limited.

If the number's on the head stock it might have had a replacement neck.
If it's a labeling error you'd never really know.
If you were a little kid when he bought it, and you remember from being there at the time, or have a dated receipt, you still wouldn't know why the numbers are wack.
If your uncle didn't know and just told everyone it was a '57, you'd choose what to believe.

I hope somebody gets closer to the answer. I hate not to know!

Right. 

9 hours ago, slimt said:

I think a 57 would of had a dark burst.   A 64 which is the number you gave would possibly have a cherry burst.     And chances are it might even have a plastic bridge. Not that it makes much difference. 

Thats what I thought when I looked them up. All the 57's showed a dark burst but he claimed it had a cherry burst. That didn't fit but I didn't investigate any further. 

16 hours ago, Matchstick Mike said:

Right ? It was purchased at Herbie's music store in 1957 in Fredericton, NB Canada.

Dates all say 64. My uncle bought it. In 57.

To bad you don't have a reciet or any paperwork.  Although that far back the ink probably would not be readable. I don't know how far back that Gibson Service keeps records on their guitars, but if the headstock was changed that wouldn't help. Here is what I think.  If the numbers are reading 64 but you know for a fact it's a 57, then You will have to "Prove" without  a shadow of a doubt that it is a 57 to sell it for a better price. If you can't, then sell it as a 64 since that's what the info says. 

There's no way on God's green Earth that a 1957 J-45 would have that serial number on the back of the headstock unless it was carved with a pocket knife.

Look inside, possibly on the inside of the back or on the headblock. See what there is for a letter/number combo.

I fought with a guy for 6 months. He swore up and down he had a 1957 Fender Mustang. He knew that because he and his brother went to NY and he bought it on the trip. Finally his wife pointed out that they made that same trip again in 1967.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Matchstick Mike said:

Mystery solved. Guitar is a 1964 Cherry Burst J-45.

Seems my uncle was off on purchase dates. We actually worked it out : he bought it in 64. Not 57.

When you check with the 'Brainiacs' on this forum, you may not like what you hear, but you'll hear the truth!

15 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

NOW the mystery is-----

HOW did he get SEVEN YEARS off in that recollection?  

Whitefang

I often think something that happened 20 years ago happened only a few months ago....and vice versa.

If the uncle was old enough to buy a brand new J-45 in 1964, but old enough to 'maybe' bought one in 1957....he's damn old!

I'm old and was in high school in 1964.... and was a snot-nosed kid in 1957.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I often think something that happened 20 years ago happened only a few months ago....and vice versa.

If the uncle was old enough to buy a brand new J-45 in 1964, but old enough to 'maybe' bought one in 1957....he's damn old!

Thats what age does to you.   🙂

17 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I was in 8th grade in '64 and 1st grade in '57.   But I know what you mean about memory.  But in my case, I'm usually only about a year or two off going back that far. Not seven.  And something that happened 20 years ago did happen 20 years ago.  But, only a few months ago is where it gets wonky.  Unless it's something major.  So I'll just go get another cup of coffee, just as soon as I remember where I set down my cup!  [wink]   

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

I was in 8th grade in '64 and 1st grade in '57.   But I know what you mean about memory.  But in my case, I'm usually only about a year or two off going back that far. Not seven.  And something that happened 20 years ago did happen 20 years ago.  But, only a few months ago is where it gets wonky.  Unless it's something major.  So I'll just go get another cup of coffee, just as soon as I remember where I set down my cup!  [wink]   

Whitefang

I was wondering this morning, when I put in my olive trees ....I thought about 15 years ago.....but then I remembered they were in when we had our 25th wedding anniversary party here....and that was 2003.....so AT LEAST 18 years ago....probably 19..... that's 4 years...and that happened today!

Edited by DanvillRob

11 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

I still remember stuff like the firing order of a small block Chrysler engine When I raced in the early 70's. Actually its the same as a small block chevy that I also raced also. 

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. But to remember what I ate for lunch or the day before? I have to think about it. Or what I went upstairs for in the first place? 

• Haha 1

I can still remember the SSN of my stick-buddy from flight school. 

We were required to memorize the full social of our classmates, so that we could fill out the logbook at the end of the day.
Particularly if we were the last student to fly that day. 
This was in 1978. 

But I can't remember why I walked into the kitchen just now. 

😐

• Like 1