Gibson Brands Forums

The 85 guitars seized at Dulles International Airport

jaxson50

They could have fetched nearly $260,000 if they weren’t fakes!

Unbelievable,  

The Les Paul ax autographed by Guns and Roses guitarist Slash would have been worth at least $8,000 — if only it was real.

Instead it was a clever fake, part of a shipment of 85 guitars seized by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents at Washington Dulles International Airport earlier this month.

The collection included 72 Gibsons, but also models from C.F. Martin, Fender, Kramer and Taylor. Also included were 13 acoustic guitars. The Les Paul ax wasn’t the only one purportedly with a celebrity signature — other guitars included fake “autographs” by Les Paul and AC/DC’s Angus Young.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2021/06/21/these-guitars-struck-wrong-note-with-us-customs-border-protection-officers/

This crap makes we upset..... there are people buying these inferior guitars (and other products, I suspect), and THINK they have the real thing.

Some of these manufacturers in Asia are pretty good...they should concentrate on their own unique line.

4 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

This crap makes we upset..... there are people buying these inferior guitars (and other products, I suspect), and THINK they have the real thing.

Some of these manufacturers in Asia are pretty good...they should concentrate on their own unique line.

Remember the reason people buy Chibson's is not every one can afford a 3k real LP . Yeah fakes a BS, but they will never stop being made.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

25 minutes ago, brad1 said:

What do you think they do with all of them eventually? Just throw them away I guess. 

Or do some take them home and hang them up on the wall, and tell others, "look what I got"?

I'll bet destroy them. Give them to Gibson they have experience running over them with excavators. Or ever seen that one video of the guy stepping on 335 necks and snapping them in half?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

It would be interesting to find out for sure? I knew a cop and when he retired, he was so glad. He told me there are a lot of bad cops out there and they do not rat on each other. Many confiscate drugs and sell them, confiscate guns and keep them. I was at a range when one came in wanting to shoot a full auto machine gun and the management told him he could not shoot it because he did not have a class 3 stamp. It was an illegal gun and they should report him. After arguing with them for 15 minutes, they allowed him to shoot it. But he was illegal.  They were not burnt up. 

5 hours ago, Retired said:

It would be interesting to find out for sure? I knew a cop and when he retired, he was so glad. He told me there are a lot of bad cops out there and they do not rat on each other. Many confiscate drugs and sell them, confiscate guns and keep them. 

Corruption exists at all levels and its everywhere. Someone I used to know was busted for weed. When his case came up & the weed was presented in evidence it was only a small portion of what was confiscated. Did he mention this in court? Of course not.

Some admins talk the talk. A company I worked for insisted that anyone could report misconduct and should not worry about repercussions because there was zero tolerance of this. In practice? That's impossible. If you report your manager for accepting gratuities, how are you going to prove he denied your promotion out of spite?

Nevertheless, its something important to strive for. Those 85 guitars should be destroyed on camera. 

7 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Corruption exists at all levels and its everywhere. Someone I used to know was busted for weed. When his case came up & the weed was presented in evidence it was only a small portion of what was confiscated. Did he mention this in court? Of course not.

Some admins talk the talk. A company I worked for insisted that anyone could report misconduct and should not worry about repercussions because there was zero tolerance of this. In practice? That's impossible. If you report your manager for accepting gratuities, how are you going to prove he denied your promotion out of spite?

Nevertheless, its something important to strive for. Those 85 guitars should be destroyed on camera. 

Yes, I agree. 

36 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Sure.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they wound up being offered for sale through Fingerhut.  Or somewhere similar.  You know, since SERVICE MERCHANDISE went out of business.

Whitefang

I got dibs on the one with the fake Slash signature on it.

• Haha 1