Gibson Brands Forums

Creedence Clearwater Revival Book, "Up Around The Bend"

DanvillRob

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Fogerty was always mad about something.

Cool mention, though.

He does seem to be on a hair trigger.... could be something between him and his brother.....or the fact that he lost control of all his songs.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:53 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Centerfield, albeit not a CCR product,  is pure Americana.  Although not the musical genre that has taken on that name. 

Willy And The Poor Boys was always my favorite. Effigy is probably my favorite CCR song. And Fortune Son is a flat out rocker.

Zanz Kant Danz unlike anything else John ever recorded. Centerfield was a really good album by him. I love he got sued for sounding too much like himself. WTF. How do you make music and not sound like yourself?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Willy And The Poor Boys was always my favorite. Effigy is probably my favorite CCR song. And Fortune Son is a flat out rocker.

Zanz Kant Danz unlike anything else John ever recorded. Centerfield was a really good album by him. I love he got sued for sounding too much like himself. WTF. How do you make music and not sound like yourself?

It seems suing and being sued was JF's hobby. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2022 at 12:38 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I adore Willy And The Poor Boys!

On 5/26/2022 at 5:01 AM, fortyearspickn said:

It seems suing and being sued was JF's hobby. 

You obviously know nothing about John Fogerty. 

Read his autobiography, "Fortunate Son". 

Then perhaps you will understand.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, brad1 said:

Brad1 throws down the gauntlet.

Tomorrow at the Carolina Opry I am working security for a CCR Tribute Band show there. My wife said she didn't know any CCR songs. Then I mentioned about 5 or 6 and she said . . . oh they did those, I like those songs. That's what I get for marrying a Garth Brooks fan.

17 hours ago, brad1 said:

My comment was based on several things I read that were NOT written by Fogerty.  I love his music, and respect his success.    Regardless, my comment, based on his many lawsuits,  followed those who said he was always mad about something, hair trigger, something between him and his brother, lost control of his songs, sued for sounding like himself.     Context.      I don't think I'll be able to find the time to read his autobiography.  

I worked Security for Fake CCR last night. They were called Creedence Revised. They were from Chicago. The band was really cool, and put on a good show. It was the best tribute band I have seen at the place I work so far.

Now I'm not trying to start anything, but the last bunch of shows I've been to, I have not seen (maybe 6 or 7 shows) one bassist or guitarist play a Gibson. It's been Fender and Taylor. Except for Lyle on his Collings, and his other guitarist had custom made things. Just an observation. The guy in the Eagles Tribute band even said his white EDS-1275 said Gibson on the headstock, but was built for him and was fake. Cause he was playing it during the sound check and I talked to him about if when I saw him backstage.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 5:30 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I worked Security for Fake CCR last night. They were called Creedence Revised. They were from Chicago. The band was really cool, and put on a good show. It was the best tribute band I have seen at the place I work so far.

Now I'm not trying to start anything, but the last bunch of shows I've been to, I have not seen (maybe 6 or 7 shows) one bassist or guitarist play a Gibson. It's been Fender and Taylor. Except for Lyle on his Collings, and his other guitarist had custom made things. Just an observation. The guy in the Eagles Tribute band even said his white EDS-1275 said Gibson on the headstock, but was built for him and was fake. Cause he was playing it during the sound check and I talked to him about if when I saw him backstage.

I was also at the concert of several other bands, but this one was the most memorable. Recently, I have to read a lot of books and perform various tasks at the university. On the page https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/a-modest-proposal/ I recently read several articles about the book A Modest Proposal, about which I need to write a research.

Cool band, I was at their concert once.

On 7/18/2021 at 5:49 PM, Whitefang said:

Indeed.  I remember back then that CREEM mag writer Dave Marsh tagged him as the "Male Janis Joplin".  [cool]  Because it was a strong voice and pretty much unique.  Sure, there were many unique sounding voices back then(unlike the '80's hair and spandex "metal" bands that to me, were more plastic than anything.  Well, musically,IMHO, most '80's music was plastic "cookie cutter" tripe).  But john's did kinda stand out more.

Whitefang

We didn't get CREEM over here (I don't think). EVERYONE loved CREEM, it seems. Must have been some mag. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

We didn't get CREEM over here (I don't think). EVERYONE loved CREEM, it seems. Must have been some mag. 

CREEM mag did delve deeper into what was then referred to as "underground" rock music than Rolling Stone was at the time.  Back when AM and FM were still slugging it out for audience numbers. And some years before the AM-ifying of FM radio by the mid '70's.  By then I mean....

FM stations started bragging about doing 20-25 minute "rock-blocks" of music uninterrupted by commercials.  In the fledgling days of FM "Underground" stations 20-25 minutes or more of uninterrupted was business as usual and not a bragging point.   CREEM covered all the music you could hear on those stations, which was a lot of what you'd never hear on AM.  I remember the mag rack at the head shop I usually got my copies at had both Creem and Rolling stone side by side.  While Creem's cover informed of reviews of Johnny Winter's and Moby Grapes' new LPs, Roling Stones' cover story was an "in depth" profile of The Cowsills.  [blink]

Since t was a Detroit publication, we here were fond of it.

Whitefang

On 5/24/2022 at 8:14 AM, DanvillRob said:

He does seem to be on a hair trigger.... 

They're selling a product.

CCR bassist Stu Cook says band members have finally "mended fences" with new business agreement

"We have a company," he explains. "When we settled our last lawsuit over control of the trademark, we agreed that...we would work together to the benefit of all to try and monetize that in good taste. And, so that's been the first thing that we've actually done together...since the band broke up, really."

Essentially, Cook explains that the business deals allows him, Fogerty and Clifford to "focus on the good story of Creedence than, y'know, all the intrigue and, you know, the dirty water. We're going with the 'clear water.'"

And that, Cook says, may lead to a bunch of Creedence content in the future.

"It's been one of my longtime dreams...to get at least a viable way to monetize our brand and help keep it out in front of people," he notes.  "So we have a merchandising deal now, but that's just the beginning...I'm sure that, you know, there's a film down the road somewhere. There's probably a stage play. There's multiple books. You know, there's all kinds of opportunities."

It seems the only challenge remaining, Cook says, is convincing other people that CCR has actually buried the hatchet for good.

"I really think that at this point, people are really not sure that we've actually mended fences enough to do business with," he laughs. "But it's true. It's all true!"

By Andrea Dresdale
Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Edited by Murph

1 hour ago, Murph said:

CCR bassist Stu Cook says band members have finally "mended fences" with new business agreement

"We have a company," he explains. "When we settled our last lawsuit over control of the trademark, we agreed that...we would work together to the benefit of all to try and monetize that in good taste. And, so that's been the first thing that we've actually done together...since the band broke up, really."

Essentially, Cook explains that the business deals allows him, Fogerty and Clifford to "focus on the good story of Creedence than, y'know, all the intrigue and, you know, the dirty water. We're going with the 'clear water.'"

And that, Cook says, may lead to a bunch of Creedence content in the future.

"It's been one of my longtime dreams...to get at least a viable way to monetize our brand and help keep it out in front of people," he notes.  "So we have a merchandising deal now, but that's just the beginning...I'm sure that, you know, there's a film down the road somewhere. There's probably a stage play. There's multiple books. You know, there's all kinds of opportunities."

It seems the only challenge remaining, Cook says, is convincing other people that CCR has actually buried the hatchet for good.

"I really think that at this point, people are really not sure that we've actually mended fences enough to do business with," he laughs. "But it's true. It's all true!"

By Andrea Dresdale
Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

It's said that that the most unstable business structure is the partnership.....I think it's actually a band!

4 hours ago, Murph said:

I think I have heard that before in another post or 5. 

That is the way it is/was and maybe still is. Musicians make music, and would put their recorded music on LP's/CD's/8 Tracks/and cassettes, which is a product, and if you like their music you sometimes buy it. Musicians also sometimes tour, which means they sell tickets, so people can get into the show, which is a product. Many groups have a merch table which has products on it to buy like t-shirts, hats, posters, buttons, cd's and albums.

Is this product thing a new concept? 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think I have heard that before in another post or 5. 

That is the way it is/was and maybe still is. Musicians make music, and would put their recorded music on LP's/CD's/8 Tracks/and cassettes, which is a product, and if you like their music you sometimes buy it. Musicians also sometimes tour, which means they sell tickets, so people can get into the show, which is a product. Many groups have a merch table which has products on it to buy like t-shirts, hats, posters, buttons, cd's and albums.

Is this product thing a new concept? 

My take was that they're 'monetizing' CCR even though they're no longer an active band. (Tom Fogerty dies in 1990 anyway!).

3 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

My take was that they're 'monetizing' CCR even though they're no longer an active band. (Tom Fogerty dies in 1990 anyway!).

They are still milking Jimi Hendrix. Man put out 3 studio albums in his lifetime, 3, and he has 800 greatest hits albums, out takes of studio jams, full albums made with those same horrible studio jams. He's released more stuff since his death than his actual entire career.

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

They are still milking Jimi Hendrix. Man put out 3 studio albums in his lifetime, 3, and he has 800 greatest hits albums, out takes of studio jams, full albums made with those same horrible studio jams. He's released more stuff since his death than his actual entire career.

I think that's true of a lot of artists...music and otherwise.....once they're gone, their family exploits the heck out of their talent.