Gibson Brands Forums

Kirk Hammett joins Gibson roster

Pinch

1 hour ago, cunningham26 said:

with the amount of bandmate firings he's been a part of i can't imagine he remembers any too  clearly these days

Going by what little of the interview I watched( drove me nuts, that choppy narration) I'd say by the time Kirk finally gets to the end of a sentence or to any kind of point, he's probably forgotten what he was talking about at the start of the sentence!  [bored]

Whitefang

I got into Metallica's music around 1998/ 1999 when I was in high school. I loved Reload, Garage Inc and S&M and have good memories of listening to them back then. I'm one of the few who like all Metallica's album, except St. Anger which is pretty terrible on al levels. They changed over the years, but that made them interesting I think. Yeah, from Kill 'Em All to Justice they were at there peak, but Load, Reload, Death Magnetic and Hardwired have some great stuff on.  Whilst I sometimes enjoy it, I was never a massive fan of the Black album.  Kirk plays like Kirk and I like his style. If everyone played like all the 'speed players', it would be boring. A lot of people who criticize Kirk seem to miss this point. 

Though never a follower of that band, there seems to  be an issue among it's fans that resent their "changing".

Well, sometimes change is good, but too, not always for the better.   But too many bands go through personnel  changes many fans resent and so forth.  On example is one of my long time favorite bands, YES.  

Look how many times their line up and approach to music has changed from their eponymous  debut album (from '69)  til now.  Now, I didn't like ALL the LPs they put out, but a good lot of them, which doesn't move me to hate them at all now.   The best bands and artists are the ones that don't stand still, but evolve, grow and stretch past what others see as limits.  

As for YES, I know some early on big fans of theirs that gave them up when "Topographic Oceans" came out.  I didn't like it much either, but I just gritted my teeth and felt better when  RELAYER came out.   Those other guys never came back.

Whitefang

I recently saw a YouTube ad for a Metallica concert video and I was stunned by how bad they sounded. I’m not sure if they just picked the most embarrassing moments of the performance for the video or what but it was really shocking. 

Hetfield was trying to sing some kind of slow ballad thing with that constipated grunt while Hammet was doing some incredibly weak chorus drenched plink plink “clean” sounds. The best way I can describe it is that aside from being tonally disgusting it sortof felt disjointed in a way that made my brain struggle to even process it as music

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I recently saw a YouTube ad for a Metallica concert video and I was stunned by how bad they sounded. I’m not sure if they just picked the most embarrassing moments of the performance for the video or what but it was really shocking. 

Hetfield was trying to sing some kind of slow ballad thing with that constipated grunt while Hammet was doing some incredibly weak chorus drenched plink plink “clean” sounds. The best way I can describe it is that aside from being tonally disgusting it sortof felt disjointed in a way that made my brain struggle to even process it as music

It’s bad man isn’t it haha! It’s bad…

8 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Nothing was worse than when they were doing covers. But not the whole band just Kirk and the bass player, like a mid show break..  Just absolutely terrible..

Edited by Rabs

8 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

I've never really heard anything Metallica have done, but that was bloody awfull.  

Well if you like heavy music their early stuff is great.....   And they do a good live show.. Or they used to anyway and did so for like a good 20 years....

I have to agree with IanHenry about that vid being awful.  But, as I've often stated, it's an "ear of the beholder" thing.  I'll go a step further(proving it too is a "to each" thing) That what doesn't help keep it from being awful is them doing a song that(IMHO) can't be done well by ANYBODY.   [wink]  But, like I said.........

Whitefang

7 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I have to agree with IanHenry about that vid being awful.  But, as I've often stated, it's an "ear of the beholder" thing.  I'll go a step further(proving it too is a "to each" thing) That what doesn't help keep it from being awful is them doing a song that(IMHO) can't be done well by ANYBODY.   [wink]  But, like I said.........

Whitefang

Here another song... Its even worse.....

Edited by Rabs