Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul’s ‘Number One’ Gibson Guitar Headed to Auction

Mutha

The earliest approved model of the Gibson Les Paul — owned by Les Paul himself and known affectionately as “Number One” — is headed to auction. The lot will be part of the upcoming “Exceptional Sale,” taking place October 13th at Christie’s in New York City.

Paul and Gibson Incorporated developed “Number One” around 1951 and 1952. At the time, Gibson had lost ground and market share to Fender, which had launched the Telecaster, the first mass-produced solid-body electric guitar, in 1950. In response, Gibson tapped Paul — one of the most popular musicians in the country at the time — to help them develop a solid-body electric guitar of their own; the “Number One” Gibson Goldtop they crafted would serve as the basis for the Gibson Les Paul guitars that would eventually become a rock and roll staple.

“Number One” is being auctioned off by Paul’s son, Gene Paul, and longtime guitar builder, engineer and producer, Tom Doyle.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/les-paul-number-one-gibson-guitar-auction-1213283/

Your photo shows the guitar that appears to be up for auction, I agree.  But in the photo of him playing in the studio, the guitar has different knobs (one fewer) and different output jack.  Granted, Les was known for endless tinkering and changing things up,  just saying they don't appear to be the same.

Then there is this:

“In my opinion, this instrument belongs in the Smithsonian next to Neil Armstrong’s boot from the Moon landing. It is a national treasure.”

So if Gene Paul really feels that way, why auction it off?  So some rich person can hide it away and hope it increases in value?

It's a little misleading to call it Les Paul's #1 guitar in my opinion.  Musician's refer to the guitar that they choose to play most often for performance or recording as their "#1".  This should be referred to as the "first" Les Paul that Gibson made, not Les' #1.  He mostly played black customs and later recording models for performance and/or recording, not this goldtop.

Edited by Twang Gang

On 8/18/2021 at 5:10 PM, Twang Gang said:

Your photo shows the guitar that appears to be up for auction, I agree.  But in the photo of him playing in the studio, the guitar has different knobs (one fewer) and different output jack.  Granted, Les was known for endless tinkering and changing things up,  just saying they don't appear to be the same.

Then there is this:

“In my opinion, this instrument belongs in the Smithsonian next to Neil Armstrong’s boot from the Moon landing. It is a national treasure.”

So if Gene Paul really feels that way, why auction it off?  So some rich person can hide it away and hope it increases in value?

It's a little misleading to call it Les Paul's #1 guitar in my opinion.  Musician's refer to the guitar that they choose to play most often for performance or recording as their "#1".  This should be referred to as the "first" Les Paul that Gibson made, not Les' #1.  He mostly played black customs and later recording models for performance and/or recording, not this goldtop.

You should go into the correction business.  Problem is, there's no real demand for that kind of thing.

On 8/19/2021 at 7:10 AM, Twang Gang said:

But in the photo of him playing in the studio, the guitar has different knobs (one fewer) and different output jack.  Granted, Les was known for endless tinkering and changing things up,  just saying they don't appear to be the same.

It could well be the same guitar, as you say he tinkered around a lot with 'em and it could easily enough be revised as shown. (hopefully so as it adds to the heritage!).

22 hours ago, Pinch said:

The Q is, would you spend even $500 if you didn't know its origins? 

Oh yeah, and then some!!  That guitar appeals to me very much (assuming it's playable and structurally OK) regardless whether it belonged to Les or it belonged to you. [smile]