Gibson Brands Forums

The Inspired By Gibson Line

mihcmac

I have two from the Inspired by Gibson line an ES-339 and recently the SG Classic..

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitars/Collection/Epiphone Inspired by Gibson

After investigating the SG Classic Worn P90, I couldn't help my self, I had to get one,. Imagine redesigned SG with a SlimTaper Set Neck, much improved Neck Dive, 2XP90's, ABR Bridge, Kluson style Tuners and 50's Headstock for 379 with free shipping. It has everything I wanted in it and plays incredible.

Below mine in stock form as it arrived and required a slight truss rod adjustment.

T44fwoS.jpg

My new slightly mod'd SG Classic with a Duesenberg Les Trem II.

dr0VmU9.jpg?1

Since the Inspired by Gibson line are reworked making them more like their Gibson equivalent, since being introduced in 2020, these have differences from the 2019 and older models. 

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitars/Collection/Epiphone Inspired by Gibson

Most of these have the 50's style Headstock, reworked Set Necks, improved Electronics and Hardware.

Since the SG Classic has been out for while there  are several reviews..

Edited by mihcmac

3 hours ago, cunningham26 said:

that's a lot of roland cube!

Living on an Island in order to get enough practice time in places with no power I started collecting Micro Cubes and chaining them. Now, owning a home in the country, I use 2 Stage Right 15's.

NixEiw6.jpg

My Blueshawk, in the foreground, could have qualified for the Inspired by Gibson lineup, but it wasn't included.

Edited by mihcmac

When the "Inspired by Gibson ES-339" showed up on my radar last year, I had to get it even though it wasn't available with P90's, so I mod'd it a bit..

UcqGuWz.jpg

A few days after I got my 339 the "Inspired by Epiphone Wilshire" appeared, and I was sunk, no self control..

AovIPtC.jpg

COVID buying has really taken a toll on me, but no regrets they are all excellent..

20 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

The 'Inspired by Gibson' acoustics are mighty impressive too - very pleased with my new Hummingbird seen here with an older EJ-200 and Custom Historic 1957 SJ-200.

ixwQUFNl.jpg

EJ-200 - good mono

IBG Hummingbird - stereo

SJ-200 - 5.1 surround sound

Very nice, you have the new Hummingbird from the Inspired By Gibson Collection.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1969 Epi in the Coronet shape but with an original 60's Epi mini humbucker. Great pickup if you ever want to swap one in for a P90.

Awesome clear cut through compared to full HB but still n o hum. These are different to Gibson mini HB's I believe. [thumbup]

IMG_0028 (002).JPG

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 11:11 PM, 'Scales said:

I have a 1969 Epi in the Coronet shape but with an original 60's Epi mini humbucker. Great pickup if you ever want to swap one in for a P90.

Awesome clear cut through compared to full HB but still n o hum. These are different to Gibson mini HB's I believe. [thumbup]

IMG_0028 (002).JPG

21 hours ago, Matt4356 said:

That's THE headstock we needed.

Yay, the Batwing headstock came a little later, I have always loved those and had several of the U.S  originals, including a Siiver Fox. Hopefully Epiphone will reintroduce them again, it wasn't too long ago that the Batwing style were being used on several of the Asian built models..

Also used on the T-310 below and the S-310

ipynp8byhiskqvgefsqh.jpg

The Banana headstock was used on several models, like the Explorer.

Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Korina-Explorer

The Kalamazoo Headstock was first introduced in 58 on the Coronet and Crestwood.

epiphone-coronet-1958-1969-42484.jpeg

Edited by mihcmac

The batwing looks cool, but I gotta say its a really long headstock...

and coupled with the deep headstock angle ....

and (at least for the late 60's) the narrowest ever nut across the neck.... 

and that it tends to sit well out to the neck side of your body when paying given the body shape and strap button position....

you need to be really careful to avoid bumping it on anything cos it would snap so easily! [scared]

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2021 at 4:42 PM, 'Scales said:

The batwing looks cool, but I gotta say its a really long headstock...

and coupled with the deep headstock angle ....

and (at least for the late 60's) the narrowest ever nut across the neck.... 

and that it tends to sit well out to the neck side of your body when paying given the body shape and strap button position....

you need to be really careful to avoid bumping it on anything cos it would snap so easily! [scared]

Although the Batwing is not as long as the Banana Headstock.. 🙂

There are many Epiphones that were styled after Gibsons not included in the Inspired By Gibson line. One I wish they would bring back is the Blueshawk, it is an unusual Gibson style guitar similar to the Nighthawk but a semi hollow with P90's and humcancelling. The Blueshawk is well balanced and its 25.5" SlimTaper neck is incredible allowing very playable high notes.

r4xotwghmsaukjshhyur.jpg

My slightly modified Blueshawk has survived as one of my most versatile  goto guitars, I always look forward to playing it.

Z91XVGx.jpg

I have always felt mine was an improvement over the Gibson version with its anemic pickups, I prefer the Epiphones authentic sounding P90 Pro's..

oO91gBk.jpg

Having owned both the Gibson and Epiphone at the same time, the Epi in many ways always won.

Of course this is just my opinion, but the Epiphone Blueshawk was truly Inspired by Gibson and improved.

Edited by mihcmac

• 2 weeks later...

I own several Epiphones & Gibsons.. IMO Gibson USA P90’s & many USA Humbuckers in Gibson’s & Epiphone’s sound much better than their Asian versions…. Same with Pots,  Caps, Jack’s, Inputs, Nuts, Tuners & other parts of the Guitars….

That said both Gibson’s & Epiphone’s are great Guitars..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The older version 2019 and back, ES-339 Pro with "coil tapping, larger headstock and 1960's SlimTaper™ D-shape neck". Epiphone seems to have lowered the price to $499, but the usual online stores seem to be asking $549 for this "older model" new. There are still a few ES-339 Pro's out there.

front-banner-1600_900.png

The new version from 2020 with "no coil tapping, the Kalamazoo headstock, Rotomatic's, wired CTS pots and Hand-Rolled C-shape neck", Epiphones price for the new model ES-339 is $549.

Edited by mihcmac

• 1 month later...

I bought a 335 a month or so direct from Epiphone. I think it's worth the money due to workmanship and playability but feel all of the electrical hardware is not of a good quality. So another $450 and I'll have quality PUs and wiring in the guitar...and then there's buying a case....so all in the guitar will cost me about $1200. Too bad it's MADE IN CHINA.

IMG_4515 (1).jpg

• Like 1

I've said this before but I've never had a problem with epiphone electronics, even the so called muddy 90's pickups etc. All changes I've made have been down to either wear or preference like mihcmac.  Almost every time I see people moaning about this I wonder if they are adjusting the amp properly for each guitar?

And as for made in China? You say your happy with it, so why is it too bad?

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 11:47 PM, Matt4356 said:

I've said this before but I've never had a problem with epiphone electronics, even the so called muddy 90's pickups etc. All changes I've made have been down to either wear or preference like mihcmac.  Almost every time I see people moaning about this I wonder if they are adjusting the amp properly for each guitar?

I have a few Epiphones with P90 Classics and P90 Pros, I don't find them muddy at all, but since all of my guitars have P90's my amps are adjusted for them. No humbuckers in my stable, I do have several different brands of P90's that have made the cut for me.

My Epi Junior DC that has been rewired with CTS pots and has an 04 Gibson P90 which is a little noisier than my P90 Pro's, but under control when I back off the tone to about 7.

KNR3yd3.jpg

I do wish that they had given us one of these Jr DC's in the Inspired by Gibson lineup. But they did include the Retro Ebony Coronet below that I think qualifies as a DC, which this Ebony Coronet just recently went up 50 US more than the the Cherry version.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1961 Les Paul SG Standard  a more pricey version of the current SG's, this rendition of the first SG that was released as a Les Paul.. This 61 Les Paul SG Standard has Gibson BurstBuckers and comes with a Vintage Style Hardshell Case, a 2 piece mahogany body (no veneer) and a one-piece mahogany fast-playing SlimTaper C-shaped neck.

Edited by mihcmac

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2022 at 3:17 AM, Rekonizefull said:

I got the epi blue 335 a year ago and it's still my main player. I love it. The parts all aligned properly, the finish was great, it's a killer RnB/jazz/blues/rocker. And the volume and tones have a progressive curve that's useful all the way down to 1! 

Since you got the Blue one that means it has the figured top with Blueberry Burst finish, very nice..

The inspired by line got me interested in Epiphone again, I bought 2 new ones out of curiosity- the 50's Standard and the 59. Both are really good guitars, hold up well against my Gibson guitars.  Definitely killing it with the new offerings.

• Thanks 1