Gibson Brands Forums

Before Robert Fripp lost his marbles

SteveFord

and his dignity he used to be quite the pioneer with his Fripptronics.

I knew that he used to demo his latest guitar gadets on the captive audience at a local laudrymat (!) but what I didn't know was that Bryan Ferry audtioned for King Crimson but didn't make the cut.  That would have been an interesting pairing.

King Crimson didn't release a whole heck of a lot of studio albums.  Is anyone here familiar with the work after Three Of A Perfect Pair?

'Thrak' is very good and pretty intense, also the last one with Levin and Bruford together.  Belews material still dominates on that recording. 

However Levin returned to play in the septet (3 drummers) a few years back.

There are 9 huge box sets now of the early studio LPs and a lot of live stuff too.  Fripp controls it all.  He has released everything he has with Wetton and Bruford.

https://burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/king-crimson-boxsets

The more recent 3CD live "Radical Action...."(etc) set is excellent and features Levin as well as Mel Collins.

I think "No P*ssyfooting" by Fripp and Eno was one of the foreunners of ambient music, along with stuff like early Tangerine Dream ("Zeit").

Edited by jdgm

King Crimson (and Pink Floyd) were my favourite bands when I was 15-17. I didnt bother with much after Larks Tongues in Aspic.

I saw them in 1970 or 71 in Bob Fripps home town Bournmouth at the Winter Gardens. My pal & me got the train to Bournmouth and tried to spend the night on the beach. Mostly we just wandered the town until the morning train arrived.

It was an unforgettable gig though. 

Steve I have downloaded a lot the the stuff after 3OAPP and I have everything on CD/DVD in the 40th or 50th Anniversary sets. I listen to it every now and then and after 3OAPP there is good stuff. As you know Crimson was always a revolving door of who ever Fripp wanted to play with or who Fripp had to replace cause they quit cause I heard he can be quite demanding like the Italian guy with a big nose. People come and go and sometimes  they come back. Crimson is always interesting and there will always be insane players playing with him. I think currently Fripp used 3 drummers on stage. 

Baby's on fire, better throw her in the water

Fripp always shines when he is a guest musician like on Heroes and on Scary Monster and Gabriel's solos.

I never heard Ferry auditioned. I don't know if his lounge stuff would go over very with Fripp. Did you know Fripp thought the world was going to end in '81 and he was preparing for it. He's an original for sure.

I saw KC on  Beat and 3OAPP Tours.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I have a big boxed CD set of theirs.  Now that I have CD players I like I should see what's on them.

I felt bad the guy I bought that set from, it showed up with 4 empty jewel cases.  The artwork was there, the discs were missing so he had to get me another set.

53 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I have a big boxed CD set of theirs.  Now that I have CD players I like I should see what's on them.

I felt bad the guy I bought that set from, it showed up with 4 empty jewel cases.  The artwork was there, the discs were missing so he had to get me another set.

I think you should not order online anymore as you usually don't get the stuff you order and pay for.

I always admired his chops, but he's always been a bit on the odd side.

and lately, those vids he's putting on youtube with his wife are just kind of sad actually.  I guess he's having fun and laughing his arse off when they do them, but..

jeezus!

like you said Steve, lost his marbles..  I think he replaced them with his wives hooters. 

Edited by kidblast
  • Haha 1

There is a fantastic album that Robert Fripp recorded with Andy Summer (ex Police) way back in 1984 called "I Advance Masked" not sure if anyone heard of it, all of the tracks on the album are mesmerising but my favourite tracks are "Bewitched"  and "Tribe" as in the YouTube links below, kind of trance / experimental music, I have it on CD and still enjoy listening from time to time

Edited by Fran_in_London

Its been ages since I listened to I Advanced Mask or Bewitched.  I love Fripp's Exposure album (Daryl Hall sings on a few songs). The Fripp and Eno No P-ussyfooting is them doing weird ambient and Frippertronic stuff.  

Steve I checked I don't have your CD's.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

This weeks offering from Fripp and Toyah is Iggy Pop's Passenger. Fripp is all dolled up again, and Toyah has this huge head piece on. I won't make you suffer the indignities by posting it here. If you like such torture go to YT.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

This thread has me inspired me to explore the two King Crimson albums previous to Three Of A Perfect Pair and Thrak.
The ones featuring Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, Tony Levin, and Adrian Belew, that is. 

I just ordered Beat and Discipline a few minutes ago. 

I want to find out how much of Robert and Tony's work with Peter Gabriel bled out into those albums. 

😐

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I listened to Red and Lark's Tongue In Aspic and was thinking about these humiliating videos he's recently been putting out.

Given his age, I wonder if he doesn't have a form of dementia.  If you look at the end of that weird Xmas video it's Toyah Willcox Ltd so I'm thinking Granny Golddigger is still on the ball and he isn't quite all there any more.

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Last night I listened to Red and Lark's Tongue In Aspic and was thinking about these humiliating videos he's recently been putting out.

Given his age, I wonder if he doesn't have a form of dementia.  If you look at the end of that weird Xmas video it's Toyah Willcox Ltd so I'm thinking Granny Golddigger is still on the ball and he isn't quite all there any more.

In fact she's worth quite a bit as she had hits in the UK and Europe, and has recently done some sell-out dates over here.  Punk legend.