Gibson Brands Forums

My Absolute FAVORITE Christmas Song Of All Time!

DanvillRob

13 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Well Butch, we now know at least ONE person bought a copy!  [wink]

Whitefang

Lol. I remember mom playing it every December along many other albums and I really liked it.  But then I watched every episode of Bonanza. That one song I mentioned was the only one that stuck in my head and could remember.  You are  older than me but in 60, I would have been 7.  My mom loved country music which was played along with 40's & 50's music but she rarely let my dad play his favorite music and that was fine with me.  He was the Polka King Haha. When he died, they played like 7 Polka songs. Oh? That was the longest funeral. 

"Santa Looks A Lot Like Daddy (and Daddy looks a lot like him)"  Buck Owens.

Actually - that is the song I've identified on the VA Cemetery paperwork to be played at my internment.   Give the grandkids something to think about while they're standing around wondering if they're going to McDonalds later. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Retired said:

Lol. I remember mom playing it every December along many other albums and I really liked it.  But then I watched every episode of Bonanza. That one song I mentioned was the only one that stuck in my head and could remember.  You are  older than me but in 60, I would have been 7.  My mom loved country music which was played along with 40's & 50's music but she rarely let my dad play his favorite music and that was fine with me.  He was the Polka King Haha. When he died, they played like 7 Polka songs. Oh? That was the longest funeral. 

I'm assuming your Dad was Polish(the polka loving thing) which makes you Polish as well.  As am I.  But I just tolerate polka music  as it was a large part of my background.  But then, many cultures employ polka music themes besides the Polish.  The English had polka themed music as well as Latino cultures.  I've heard more than my share of Mexican polkas in the 32 years I was with Alicia. 

If you're familiar with the British movie "Scrooge"(1951) aka A Christmas Carol, you'll remember this scene!  [wink]

Whitefang

13 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I'm assuming your Dad was Polish(the polka loving thing) which makes you Polish as well.  As am I.  But I just tolerate polka music  as it was a large part of my background.  But then, many cultures employ polka music themes besides the Polish.  The English had polka themed music as well as Latino cultures.  I've heard more than my share of Mexican polkas in the 32 years I was with Alicia. 

If you're familiar with the British movie "Scrooge"(1951) aka A Christmas Carol, you'll remember this scene!  [wink]

Whitefang

Actually dad was German, English & a little Irish. Mom was English and Irish.  Debbie, my wife is more Polish from her dad and her mom is English.  I've heard a lot of polka songs. Some really aren't that bad and on "Ground Hog Day"  they play one every day  I like.  Our son watched that movie so many times, Deb & I sort of got hooked on it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Actually, being Polish, I heard a lot of polkas in my lifetime too.  But really, my favorite "Polish music"   comes from THIS gentleman---

[wink]

And my stepfather being Hungarian exposed me to-----(czardas)

Whitefang 

That is more like orchestra and is ok.   Dad only listened to the Polka stuff.  The stuff he could dance a jig too Lol.  I thought Germany had a lot of Polka?  That was on one of the Chevy Chase Vacation movies where he dresses up and participates on stage and then gets into trouble. 

16 hours ago, Tman said:

Here is one that my bff and I wrote and recorded last week. His daughter, home from college, sang it. Played a Strat and J-45.

Crap! TMan..... That's excellent!

I might just steal it!

Did you record it on a 4-track mixer?  (I'm totally ignorant about those things).

On 12/24/2021 at 8:08 AM, DanvillRob said:

Crap! TMan..... That's excellent!

I might just steal it!

Did you record it on a 4-track mixer?  (I'm totally ignorant about those things).

Thanks D'ville! I actually used to live off of Livorna very close to Danville.

Recorded on Apple's Logic Pro. Honestly nothing special. Couple bottles of Pinot was very special though.

Love your stuff man, You're a hero 🙂

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Tman

12 hours ago, Tman said:

Thanks D'ville! I actually used to live off of Livorna very close to Danville.

Recorded on Apple's Logic Pro. Honestly nothing special. Couple bottles of Pinot was very special though.

Love your stuff man, You're a hero 🙂

Merry Christmas!

My Grandparents lived on Livorna.... but it was a dirt road back then!

Livorna is VERY close to where I live....we're right on the Alamo border, (a good spit will reach Alamo from our upper lot!).

I may explore the Logic Pro.   My son is a big shot at Apple, so he can give me the straight scoop!

My problem is, with my arthritis getting worse by the day, not sure how long I'll be able to play, (Keiff gives me hope!).

11 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

My Grandparents lived on Livorna.... but it was a dirt road back then!

Livorna is VERY close to where I live....we're right on the Alamo border, (a good spit will reach Alamo from our upper lot!).

I may explore the Logic Pro.   My son is a big shot at Apple, so he can give me the straight scoop!

My problem is, with my arthritis getting worse by the day, not sure how long I'll be able to play, (Keiff gives me hope!).

Keef is a lot of people's inspiration! Definitely mine