Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 12 string?

egoidealmusic

12's are a strange beast. I don't play mine as much as I should but my wife bought me mine, which is a USA made Martin J12-16GT. I will never sell it. But those that can play them well, I am in awe of.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

I find that the less I act like a monster, the less they show up outside my door with pitchforks and lit torches

What if I was a friendly monster like Elmo or Cookie Monster?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

30 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If I said that the masses would be outside my door with pitchforks and lit torches.

Just so you know where I was coming from when I made my comment about how it sounds to me.

Wa3lG0Fh.jpg

Edited by Brucebubs

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Hey one is a Martin.

ocnI6Hs.jpg

Here is mine.

Yep - Martin Grand J12-40E Special - their very first super jumbo with 17" lower bout - one of only 231 ever made - I'm guessing they were aiming to catch Guild F-512 buyers but they were just too expensive - they even copied the Guild 12-string bridge pattern with the primary strings closest to the saddle and octaves at the back which is unusual with Martin 12's.

1 minute ago, Brucebubs said:

Yep - Martin Grand J12-40E Special - their very first super jumbo with 17" lower bout - one of only 231 ever made - I'm guessing they were aiming to catch Guild F-512 buyers but they were just too expensive - they even copied the Guild 12-string bridge pattern with the primary strings closest to the saddle and octaves at the back which is unusual with Martin 12's.

Is it RW?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I own one but it was built in 1961.  My favorite 12 string of all time though remains my ca. 1940 Regal.  Big X braced jumbo.  It was originally found sticking out of a trash bin.  I sold it when I picked up the Gibson.  For me there is a certain itch only a 12 string can scratch but I just did not get that itch often enough to warrant keeping more than one around.  My wife though plays a Martin D12-28.

2 hours ago, Raul Rehlmann said:

I find that the less I act like a monster, the less they show up outside my door with pitchforks and lit torches

Raul,

Offering an opinion on a Gibson guitar that is less than glowing doesn't make one a monster.

RBSinTo

What is that old saying about 12 strings?  You spend half your time tuning and the other half playing out of tune.  It is hard today though to imagine that by the 1950s the only U.S. Company offering 12 string guitars was Harmony.   Gibson came along in 1961 with the 45-12 and then around 1963 Martin and, of course, Guild.  Even Harmony upped its game when they came out with the H1270 which was a 12 string verson of their flagship Sovereign.  If you listen to early Stones and Who LPs this is the 12 string you hear.

10 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Raul,

Offering an opinion on a Gibson guitar that is less than glowing doesn't make one a monster.

RBSinTo

Funny how we go from talking about a Gibson J45 12 string to Martin' tone wood in half a page.  And monsters under our beds in less time.  

24 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Oh.   My two cents -  I got a 12 string back in the 60s.   Never could 'bond' with the idea.   Sold it after a year, never looked back.   But, like  Sgt.Pepper, I am in awe of those who have mastered the beast.  Or, is it ....  a  monster !  

EM7 in a different thread called a Hummingbird a creature. Until you see it in person you don’t know.

• Haha 1

We have a hummingbird feeder.  They're not real smart.  If they get close, you can hear a buzz, or 'hum'.  We also have Doves that come to the regular seed feeder.   I guess Gibson Marketing 60 years ago didn't have all the wonderful monster choices.  At least they didn't call any of their models  "Frankenstein". 

Someday I am going to make good on my threat to convert one of my guitars to a 7 string by adding the octave G string.  Spider John Koerner did this in the 1960s with a 1920s Gibson L1 archtop or something.  Then I got hold of one of those 7 string McGuinn Martin signature guitars for a bit.  It was enough to sell me on them.  

Edited by zombywoof

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

We have a hummingbird feeder.  They're not real smart.  If they get close, you can hear a buzz, or 'hum'.  We also have Doves that come to the regular seed feeder.   I guess Gibson Marketing 60 years ago didn't have all the wonderful monster choices.  At least they didn't call any of their models  "Frankenstein". 

Gibson should have made a Pigeon or Sparrow model  too, or gone prehistoric and made the Pterodactyl model. Think of the fun pickguards they would have.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper