Gibson Brands Forums

AMPS!!!!

SG dude

Right now I'm breaking in the 2 stroke amp I built and I hope to order the cabinet probably by late April/early May.

I don't know if I have a hated one. There are some that just don't appeal to me, like I don't expect to buy one of those Roland Cubes even though I've heard good things about them.

I'm a VOX guy... I like other amps but I preffer VOX.

My favorite is my AC30... my second is my little pathfinder... my 3rd is not a vox... is a roland jc120...

I will get the newest vox tube head soon... and then we'll see which one is my all time favorite.

DSC01440.jpg

DSC00708.jpg

GG08Jan08.jpg

I love Fender Twins and VOX AC30s. My friend has an Ampeg V4 that I'm a big fan of too.

I do not like Marshalls. They sound generic. Everybody uses a Les Paul or Strat through a Marshall. It was cool when Clapton was using them in Cream but after that its just overkill for everyone to use Marshalls. I can see why people love them but they are not for me. At least when I get my dream rig I won't have trouble sounding different.

The Crate Vintage Club 30 1x12 combo has been my main amp for the past few years. Its has great tone and is loud enough for my purposes. Now that it is in the shop, I've been playing and liking an old Gibson GA-20 I got from my uncle. The Gibson has a nice raw overdrive sound. Both are great amps. I don't have any vendettas for any amps as of now though.

l_3827bc077f3c1c9c2995bce5a4940fdc.jpg

2593_143001110634_534645634_6183170_3568594_n.jpg

I'm not a good voice for knowledge on amps. When I went amp shopping I had one thing in mind. I wanted to capture the classic 70's rock sound. That left me (in my mind) two options, Marshall and Vox. Later I realized there were many other options I hadn't even considered. I ended up with the Vox ac15cc1. I couldn't be happier. I love everything about the amp. Our band's other guitarist has a Fender Blues Jr. and it also is awesome, but I'll stick with the Vox for now. So far as amps that suck. I really don't have a clue except to say from playing a few at the guitar stores, I don't like the non-tube amp sound. At least not the many I have sampled. I do actually own a Line6 Spider III and prior to getting the Vox I thought it to be OK, but it is no comparison to the Vox.

My friend has a Sano 2x12 I played on the other day. That is a pretty wild amp.

REALLY! I thought I was the only person on the planet that had one. Mines a 2x12 too. I bought it at a garage sale for $35 in 1978. It was probably 20 yrs. old when I bought it. It sounds OK' date=' I had it re-tubed last year.

I've searched all over the net and didn't find a whole lot of info on them.

[img']http://home.comcast.net/~dmcdowall/gear1.jpg[/img]

Just played a LP Traditional through a Bogner Alchemist this week.

Most impressive.

Right now it's a Fender Blues Jr. for my Blues rig, and an Eden Nemesis N8 for my metal/rock rig. I can't think of any amps I "hate"....

kinda gassing over this lately

Tourmaster4100Profile.jpg

Haven't tried a Tourmaster but there's no doubt Egnater makes good stuff. I would LOVE a MOD50 and I almost bought the Rebel for a throw in the truck and go, practice, portable but chose the Krank Rev Jr. Pro instead. I really like it. For what it is it sounds pretty amazing from clean to a nice bluesy crunch to classic rock growl all the way to shredder if that is your thing.

I personally can't wait to get my hands on a Blackstar Series One. If they sound as good as their Artisan series which I almost bought but with 3 channels and variac from 100 clear down to 10W, I'll own one.

The new Carvin Vai Legacy II is on my shortlist and at a nice price point similar to the Tourmaster.

Nice to have so many choices!

My bigger problem is deciding which LP to buy . . . maybe I just need to accept the fact that I'll have to own more than one!!! :^o

Don't tell the wife . . . :)

I'm totally loving my Hot Rod Deluxe.

I USED to love my Bedrock BC50. When I got it it sounded like an old tweed Fender on one channel and an angry AC30 on the other. Then it got a weird hum and I took it to the shop. It came back sounding like a completely different amp. But not in a good way. The problem is that the company went out of business about twelve yeras ago and there are no schematics to be had. And it's not a standard circuit. They spank the tubes with insane biasing voltages to get more output out of them(Mines a fifty watt amp that should be a thirty watt amp, based on the tubes.), coincidentally reducing tube life quite a bit.

The only amp I've ever owned that I actually HATED was a Gorilla practice amp. That thing is just awful. But I bought it because I needed something I could take onbaord the aircraft carrier I lived on at the time so it had to be smaller than a shoebox. Nasty sterile solid state ugliness.

Archived