Gibson Brands Forums

Describing A Guitars Sound

Sgt. Pepper

I tend to think of a guitar's sound in terms of "presence" and/or "resonance." I listen for both, although damned if I can't really define them. But to paraphrase Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart (as Zombywoof did above), "I know it when I hear it."

Years ago, I was a member of another acoustic guitar forum in which one of the members routinely reviewed guitars he had played in language that seemed to combine food reviews, wine reviews and dime-store romance novels. After reading a few of his reviews, I began wondering if he was just punking us but, no, he was completely serious. It actually got kind of tiring after awhile because he was describing guitar sounds in ways I couldn't relate to.

It seems that all of these posts are missing a key phrase.  That being “A (variable) guitar in the hands of (variable)… has a (variable) sound or sounds like (variable)…”

All of the posts seem to be missing that a guitar’s sound is primarily in the hands of the player.

It’s the player that primarily puts the sound into the guitar.  The guitar is just the instrument that the player’s sound comes through.  Though some guitars for a number of reasons can be better vehicles for different players’ sounds to come through.

Just my two cents.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

My favorite description is "Angry Cicada".

Years ago, I somehow got a Cicada to rest on a badminton racket and flung it across the yard lacrosse-style. It made the most gawd-awful loud buzzing pi$$ed off, petulant mid-range sound I have ever heard in my life.  So, "Angry Cicada" is how I describe the first 3 months of that baked adi J-45 before settling down with some Sunbeams.

3 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

My favorite description is "Angry Cicada".

Years ago, I somehow got a Cicada to rest on a badminton racket and flung it across the yard lacrosse-style. It made the most gawd-awful loud buzzing pi$$ed off, petulant mid-range sound I have ever heard in my life.  So, "Angry Cicada" is how I describe the first 3 months of that baked adi J-45 before settling down with some Sunbeams.

The cicada’s were not to bad this last summer in VA. Seems like the arrived latter than normal and were not around as long. They are damn annoying thought.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

It seems that all of these posts are missing a key phrase.  That being “A (variable) guitar in the hands of (variable)… has a (variable) sound or sounds like (variable)…”

All of the posts seem to be missing that a guitar’s sound is primarily in the hands of the player.

It’s the player that primarily puts the sound into the guitar.  The guitar is just the instrument that the player’s sound comes through.  Though some guitars for a number of reasons can be better vehicles for different players’ sounds to come through.

Just my two cents.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

QM,

The problem doesn't lie with the range of variables you describe, but rather with the difficulty of describing sound in words.

Hearing is understanding, while verbal descriptions are not.

Another two cents.

RBSinTo

Chet Atkins once told a story about a guy at a fair ground he was playing at.

The band was waiting to get up and play and Chet was just sitting around with the band, guitar and amp there with him, warming up.

A guy walking stopped to listen and said "Chet That guitar sounds GREAT!"  

Chet put the guitar on the ground and said in reply "How's it sound now?"

Edited by kidblast

42 minutes ago, kidblast said:

The band was waiting to get up and play and Chet was just sitting around with the band, guitar and amp there with him, warming up.

Touche Chet.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

This was posted about a 12 fret J-45.

”Had two. . . kept the soundier one”

What does Soundier  exactly sound like?

More soundy. . . like, duh!

. . . and Hummingbirds do occasionally drip nectar.  (from the definition of nectar)

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

That is exactly the point I was trying to make.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

More soundy. . . like, duh!

. . . and Hummingbirds do occasionally drip nectar.  (from the definition of nectar)

Oh how stupid of me to know now what soundier means. Such an accurate descriptive word.

I've had Guava and Papaya Nectar, and they are thick and goopy and overly sweet. So I guess that must be what Neckar sounds like.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Oh how stupid of me to know now what soundier means. Such an accurate descriptive word.

Yes, bad circular definition, there. It's just that the words used to describe a guitar's sound can be very subjective, it was just meant to mean "the one that sounded like the sound that I was looking for".

I can’t put exactly into words what I mean by loud, woody, mellow, crisp, bright, muddy, etc.  All I know is that when I hear it I know I’m hearing it and if I like that particular degree of sound than I’m more likely to feel that I could live with that guitar.  I’ve got to feel that a guitar is an extension of who I am by enhancing the sound and mood I want with my songs.  The attributes of a particular sound depends on who is listening to it.  You might hear something as too quiet while I think it’s nice and mellow, and we’re both correct in our own personal way.