Gibson Brands Forums

Long Time Coming

Lars68

Here is a song I just wrote and recorded. It's a one-take effort and the one with the least mistakes out of about ten attempts.

As always, I'm looking for constructive feedback in order to improve. What do you think?

Lars

LONG TIME COMING

It's Saturday night by the river
Where the lights of my home shine from the far banks

I'm holding your hand gently in mine
Here's where I belong for this moment I am giving thanks

I see it, I feel it
It's here with me now
I see it, I feel it
It's been a long time coming

When we first met I was lost at sea
Like driftwood never floating to the shore

But you salvaged me and we built a home
A fortress strong as one I'd never seen before

I see it, I feel it
It's here with me now
I see it, I feel it

We are cosmic dust by Darwinian law
No God of the gaps but tonight is a revelation

As autumn leafs fall along our path
We walk with peace here at our destination

I see it, I feel it
It's here with me now
I see it, I feel it

Edited by Lars68
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All around solid imagery. As a total non-songwriter, I can't imagine doing what songwriters do, but when the vibe is strong enough, how well you pulled it off technically can become less of a thing. ? . So you sing a song in a shaky voice, and yes, reverb can be your fast friend, ...but ultimately, we all pretty much sound like ourselves.  I don't want to blow smoke, but yeah,  it's sounding like some real improvement, there, Lars. There must be a songwriters forums if you really want to get into the nuts and bolts. Just don't let it turn into songwriting by committee.

👍

Thanks for the comments and support, guys!

Voice is shakey but I'm hoping to improve on that when eventually doing a multitrack version. One-takes are not my strong suit. I need the help of being able to cut and paste vocal lines from many takes into one. 

Lars

Good job! Although, I gotta say... it's gusty to release original work online like this. I usually tell everyone I know who writes music, "Don't throw it out there because if it's great, someone can and probably will steal your stuff!" In my opinion, it's better to keep it under wraps until it's at least copy written/protected somehow. That way, if it's nicked, you can take legal recourse lol. 

But maybe I'm just anally retentive about this stuff haha.

Lars you continue trying so that is admirable. I can hear improvement in spots. First comment is about the vocal. You are stronger in spots so that’s good but still wavering here n there and it is very pitchy in spots. Same thing I advised to you years ago, get pro help. Second is when writing a lyric the story needs to be compelling, poignant, catchy or humorous, whatever your theme dictates. Which isn’t easy. A sensational melody can help soften that requirement. For lyrics, if English is not your primary language it may be next to impossible, I don’t know. Your guitar work is fine. Best of luck!

On 2/21/2022 at 9:02 AM, Sevendaymelee said:

Good job! Although, I gotta say... it's gusty to release original work online like this. I usually tell everyone I know who writes music, "Don't throw it out there because if it's great, someone can and probably will steal your stuff!" In my opinion, it's better to keep it under wraps until it's at least copy written/protected somehow. That way, if it's nicked, you can take legal recourse lol. 

But maybe I'm just anally retentive about this stuff haha.

Thanks for listening! I don’t see my stuff as worthy of copying, at least not if making money is the objective, but I’ll gladly see someone out there prove me wrong 🤪

Lars

18 hours ago, livemusic said:

Lars you continue trying so that is admirable. I can hear improvement in spots. First comment is about the vocal. You are stronger in spots so that’s good but still wavering here n there and it is very pitchy in spots. Same thing I advised to you years ago, get pro help. Second is when writing a lyric the story needs to be compelling, poignant, catchy or humorous, whatever your theme dictates. Which isn’t easy. A sensational melody can help soften that requirement. For lyrics, if English is not your primary language it may be next to impossible, I don’t know. Your guitar work is fine. Best of luck!

Thanks for commenting! I’ll never be a natural, that’s for sure, but I do see some slow progress and that’s all I can ask for.

English is my second language, but I was quite satisfied with the lyrics this time around. I write what means something to me, hoping that maybe anyone listening might relate, if not, well maybe next time…

Lars

Lars, you sound really good!  This might be the best one yet.  You could perform that song just like that in a lot of places and people would like it.  I sincerely enjoyed it……AND, your lyrics are strong and easy for me to identify with.   I really like the rhyming and the metaphors you use.  This music is very relaxing and is ideal for a coffeehouse venue.   I admire your dedication and determination.   Keep your music alive and enjoy your life…….Good stuff.

7 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Lars, you sound really good!  This might be the best one yet.  You could perform that song just like that in a lot of places and people would like it.  I sincerely enjoyed it……AND, your lyrics are strong and easy for me to identify with.   I really like the rhyming and the metaphors you use.  This music is very relaxing and is ideal for a coffeehouse venue.   I admire your dedication and determination.   Keep your music alive and enjoy your life…….Good stuff.

Thanks so much, MP. You have been very supportive of my efforts ever since my very first song post here on the forum a few years back. I really appreciate it. 

Lars

Encouraged by the positive feedback for my song, I have tried to develop it some more. Here is what I have done in a new version below.

- Merging of the best bits from a couple of takes into one, reducing the vocal pitch issues.

- Starting in the second verse, I added percussion and a Nashville tuned second guitar (a cool oldie 😀 a 1938 Kalamazoo 3/4 Sport)

- Added a new bridge between second and third verse

- Starting in the new bridge, I added an organ

I tried to keep the additions subtle, as not to interfere with the acoustic nature of the song. Feel free to have a second listen, and tell me if you think the additions work…

Lars