Gibson Brands Forums

So, Why Is it... ( or dislike/like for my CS HC J-45 Banner 1942 )

BoSoxBiker

Probably a rhetorical question.....

So, why is it, every time I get close to admitting defeat on this J-45 that I have some moment with it? Last night was Pink Floyd break-thru night. I figured out a good flow for "The Great Gig In The Sky" (minus the all female skat vocals) as well as "Echoes". Both songs I've tried over a few years and have not gotten far with. Both dynamic in their own way, and both had this baked Adi top just singing last night. Same for "Nobody's Home", and some of the more classic Pink Floyd radio-play songs felt just right, too.

It's not the first time with this J-45, though. A couple months ago while watching amp demos, I saw about 45 seconds of someone doing the Elvin Bishop song, "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" and felt inspired enough to try it. First time out of the gate was with the J-45 I nailed it, and second time was even better. More energy than I thought I could play with and still sound musical. I've not done it that way since. (sigh) The same last week with the Gordon Lightfoot song, "If You Could Read My Mind" and again on Saturday with the Bill Withers song, "Use Me" in yet another completely different style partial palm mute, percussive sort of thing. that has been getting better and better over the last couple of months. It was just cooking with this J-45. A dozen other songs before and after - meh!

Normally I pick up this J-45 and am uninspired by it's somewhat aggressive mid-range tone. Play a few songs and that's it. Done. Uninspired and going through the motions. I move on to the other guitat on the stand that week. Sometimes, though, I grab it and it's on. One short little partial strum and I know it's time to play it. Most of the time, it's as close to being like mundane practice as I get.

My plan for this coming week.again, was to bring it outside for some nice pics when the weather clears and post it up for sale to fund the next decent looking CS HC 1957 SJ-200 that came along. Now I'm not so sure. This has happened at least three times before. It's guitar switch day. Out comes my Rosewood SJ-200 and the Dove - my #1 and #2 guitars. It's actually a bit sad to put up J-45 for the next couple of weeks.

It sounds like you are on the fence about it. Here is the thing, if you sell it and want cash to fund something else, in this day and age prices are stupid out there. If your not happy with the playability and tone, let it go. I've sold stuff for the same reason. I fell out of love with big booming dreads, and sold all mine off except my beater. 

Here is a question off topic. I know what J stands for on J-45 ect ect, but do people considerer them dreadnoughts as well? I know the Dove and HB are dreads. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It sounds like you are on the fence about it. Here is the thing, if you sell it and want cash to fund something else, in this day and age prices are stupid out there. If your not happy with the playability and tone, let it go. I've sold stuff for the same reason. I fell out of love with big booming dreads, and sold all mine off except my beater. 

Here is a question off topic. I know what J stands for on J-45 ect ect, but do people considerer them dreadnoughts as well? I know the Dove and HB are dreads. 

That's a good question.

The earliest Martin D-series guitars were round-shouldered, with a slightly longer body, I believe. If you want to call those dreadnoughts, the Gibson slope-Js would have to fit in that same category.

Note that this same body style (and the associated 12-fret neck) carried over into Martin 12-strings in more modern times.

It was good to write that post out and read it back this morning. This guitar has been front and center of more than it's share of the kind of guitar moments where you feel your playing and performance took a step forward. It's done so on some songs not traditionally used for acoustic play, too. Hopefully it wasn't a moment like the Nun playing R.E.S.P.E.C.T. on the move Airplane.

Perhaps those overtones that reminded me of angry Cicadas for the first four months are either being driven better by the player(me) or maturing in a nice way - or both? Those overtones filled in some empty space quite well on several songs that might become empty sounding on a different guitar. I understand the aversion some have to baked adi. Which brings me to....

21 hours ago, Murph said:

I think it's you...

Yup! Very well could be. It's not the guitar's fault if I don't know how to drive it. Even when it is, it's still up to me to adjust. It's in there somewhere. In the spirit of perspective change, I did happen to take out my little Tascam hand-held recorded and tried the Gordon song, complete Capo. It actually sounded nice, and I really am not fond of capos.

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You've got a good point on the money aspect. These are selling for $500 more than they were 3 months ago. The flip side is that dealers are doing less discounts these days. Of course, there's not a whole lot to buy ATM if you happen to favor one of the models not being readily available. There was only one on Reverb a few days back. 2 now.

On the 'Dread or not a 'Dread front, some folks have a real aversion to calling the slope shoulder d-sized offerings "dreadnaughts". This is my smallest, most comfortable acoustic to play with exception to a big of thumb pressure with the neck carve.

My first thought was also - 'sounds like it's you and not the J45'.    I assume you do not have this issue with your SJ200 and Dove... .   If they are different tone woods, that could be part of it.  Combined with the different body shapes.  But I'm more inclined to think you happen to pick up the J45 when you're not inspired.  My 'mood'  affects which of my 3  I pick up - they are all very different) and if I'm not 'up' ,  my enjoyment factor suffers.  I know it's me, not the guitar - My playing is also not "up'.  The J45 is an "Everyman's Guitar".  I'd think twice before I traded it in (plus or minus some cash -which does not seem to be your concern.  You'd get more for your sale, and pay more for your purchase - an incoming tide raises all boats. ) If you're thinking of  a second, albeit different SJ200 - do you enjoy it twice as much as your J45?   You already have a long neck with a full body and a maple.  If I were me, I'd try putting it under my bed for a couple of months, play the SJ200 twice as much - and see if I missed  the J45.    G'luck. 

One thing I’ve learned from moving to and living in four different countries in the past eight years is we tend to acquire too much stuff. I came to the conclusion that if I was unwilling to lug it through an airport, I probably didn’t need it. Sometimes, our possessions possess us. Oddly enough, my life went on (and was, in many ways, easier) once I started getting rid of stuff.

No to go all Marie Kondo on you, but you have to figure out if it gives you joy. If it does, keep it. If not, get rid of it.

That said, others prefer to be more settled and enjoy their collections.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 8:42 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Technically peaking, only a Martin can be a dreadnaught since that's the name they came up with for that size of guitar. But as to what people consider to be one, that's never going to settled. I personally consider the J-45 a dreadnaught, but other's may not. It's certainly not a 000 though, I know that. Way more bass than one of those (usually).

Edited by Sevendaymelee

15 minutes ago, Sevendaymelee said:

Technically peaking, only a Martin can be a dreadnaught since that's the name they came up with for that size of guitar. But as to what people consider to be one, that's never going to settled. I personally consider the J-45 a dreadnaught, but other's may not. It's certainly not a 000 though, I know that. Way more bass than one of those (usually).

I’m Jonesing for a Martin M size guitar, which I think is a 0000. I’ve got 00 and 000’s covered. Martin is making a slope again, and Taylor is too. My B-I-L has a Taylor slope. Pacific Series or something they call it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m Jonesing for a Martin M size guitar, which I think is a 0000. I’ve got 00 and 000’s covered.

Haven't had the pleasure of trying one of those myself. I've got a 00 in the house, and I've played a 000, but no 0000s. Always wondered where they sit on the EQ scale. 

Edited by Sevendaymelee

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m Jonesing for a Martin M size guitar, which I think is a 0000. I’ve got 00 and 000’s covered.

I had one made of Koa that was comfortable but I think I liked my 000 better. They way I've been getting into L00, I may have to try a Martin.

martin M Koa

Edited by Dave F

1 minute ago, Sevendaymelee said:

Haven't had the pleasure of trying one of those myself. I've got a 00 in the house, and I've played a 000, but no 000's. Always wondered where they sit on the EQ scale. 

I like my 000’s better by a hair.

11 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

It was good to write that post out and read it back this morning. This guitar has been front and center of more than it's share of the kind of guitar moments where you feel your playing and performance took a step forward. .....

I've been anxious to try one of the hog guitars with the thermally aged top. I've had two Gibson's and one Martin with the aged top and was impressed with all three. All three are rosewood back and sides. When I get a new guitar that doesn't impress me, I set it aside for a year or two before deciding on whether it stays or goes unless I absolutely hate it.

Good luck with it.

21 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

My first thought was also - 'sounds like it's you and not the J45'.    I assume you do not have this issue with your SJ200 and Dove... .   If they are different tone woods, that could be part of it.  Combined with the different body shapes.  But I'm more inclined to think you happen to pick up the J45 when you're not inspired.  My 'mood'  affects which of my 3  I pick up - they are all very different) and if I'm not 'up' ,  my enjoyment factor suffers.  I know it's me, not the guitar - My playing is also not "up'.  The J45 is an "Everyman's Guitar".  I'd think twice before I traded it in (plus or minus some cash -which does not seem to be your concern.  You'd get more for your sale, and pay more for your purchase - an incoming tide raises all boats. ) If you're thinking of  a second, albeit different SJ200 - do you enjoy it twice as much as your J45?   You already have a long neck with a full body and a maple.  If I were me, I'd try putting it under my bed for a couple of months, play the SJ200 twice as much - and see if I missed  the J45.    G'luck. 

Thanks for the time and the food for thought.  A lot of good points.

The price rising of the replacement makes this an overall more expensive time to pull off the switch.  An option has been to sell now and wait until supply lines improve. That said, I've been more inclined to see how this one turns out. It's definitely improved in it's first 6 months.

I can hear bits and pieces of the Maple SJ-200 when I play either the Dove or the RW SJ-200. Hearing a Maple SJ-200 stopped me in my tracks a few months back when hunting a replacement for this J-45. I may eventually break my rule and get that one additional acoustic. It does depend on how the J-45 turns out.

The 'missing the J-45' factor has entered my mind. There is something about it that I have stumbled upon that made for some exhilarating guitar playing moments. It'd be a shame to figure out that the "it" is after I sold it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave F said:

I've been anxious to try one of the hog guitars with the thermally aged top. I've had two Gibson's and one Martin with the aged top and was impressed with all three. All three are rosewood back and sides. When I get a new guitar that doesn't impress me, I set it aside for a year or two before deciding on whether it stays or goes unless I absolutely hate it.

Good luck with it.

There is a lot to be said for the changes that happens first couple years of a guitars life. Goes for electric guitars, too. The necks, I guess, on the electrics. 2 of my 4 new electrics from last years reduction and improve initiative have tightened up nicely. (Tele and LP)

I'd like to say that the baked Adi vs baked Sitka topic was much of a factor in my thought process. I didn't really understand what baked Adi could do at the time. I had envisioned a gentleman's strummer and wound up with the opposite. Now I'm beginning to wonder if that was actually a good thing.

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I played a M-36 a few weeks back. Knocked me out. I’d sell both my 00’s to fund one.

The Martin booth at the World of Bluegrass festival had nothing when I asked it they had any 0000 or M style guitars. Maybe this year's will be different.

I played both a J-40(?) and an M-36 a few years ago and liked the comfort of both, but both were pretty weak sounding. Those and a Gibson J-45 Standard in the same sonic shape stayed on that wall up through the first few months of Pandemic supply shortage.

22 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

One thing I’ve learned from moving to and living in four different countries in the past eight years is we tend to acquire too much stuff. I came to the conclusion that if I was unwilling to lug it through an airport, I probably didn’t need it. Sometimes, our possessions possess us. Oddly enough, my life went on (and was, in many ways, easier) once I started getting rid of stuff.

No to go all Marie Kondo on you, but you have to figure out if it gives you joy. If it does, keep it. If not, get rid of it.

That said, others prefer to be more settled and enjoy their collections.

Part of that logic was a part of my impetus to shrink and improve my collection of music gear twice in as many years. The other factor is time managing all the stuff takes away from time spent enjoying your stuff to begin with. Most of the pieces I have provide the joy factor component.

On 2/28/2022 at 6:42 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I never considered the J45 a dread, or even a big "sounding" guitar for that matter. I've always considered it a small guitar in a. big guitar body.