Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Southern Jumbo (backordered)

JB7

New member here, my go-to has been a Taylor 818e (Andy powers version) for years and as I had just sold a Martin 00017 with mahogany sides and back with spruce top was looking for another hog guitar to replace it and decided I would try a Gibson, really wanted a southern Jumbo Gibson but they are back ordered I was told till august …so I purchased a j-45 but it had a flaw in finish on top and returned it for a second j-45 which unfortunately was tone dead, got an email a Southern Jumbo was in stock at another store so exchanged the j-45 for it, once I got home and really looked at it and it looked like it had been on tour for awhile. Really scratched up, case was torn, vintage burst was a little odd with almost a straight edge color line in the color transition, OCD kicked in returned it and ordered a southern jumbo backordered till august, called some other vendors they said backordered till summer, so I ordered from 3 different stores hoping one would come in (first store I ordered from said they were only being allotted 12 southern Jumbo guitars thruout the whole country)….well one store I haven’t bought from before and didn’t even have it on there website (I called and salesman ordered) said one came in, I ordered it Feb 5th and they had in hand by Feb 23rd and shipped out to me last week, received on Monday, build date was 1-31-22, man, fresh smell of glue and nitro is strong and oh so lovely, guitar is a keeper for me, great looks and most importantly great sounding, more bass and punch than my Taylor, not as shimmery but a great sounding difference in a pleasant way. The salesman and myself were both genuinely shocked it came in so quick with a long backorder predicted, maybe Gibson was willing to deliver to this vendor sooner as they are a more reliable vendor, I don’t know but I’m happy with it (I can name the vendors if it doesn’t violate any forum rules and people are interested)….I switched out the bone saddle for a Bob Cosi compensated I had purchased for the j-45 and some bone pins…

932D5E9E-23C6-4F81-923D-C1633223A2A4.thumb.jpeg.a1c1b6fe4c05238cd656cf218fdba685.jpegA9D41260-A063-483F-B87E-39EB83E9BA71.thumb.jpeg.df89911b7d9fab83bf790f2a358366e7.jpeg

Thank y’all, I will say between this SJ and the other one I had briefly, both had a little nicer fretboard wood than the J-45’s which were more pitted and raw looking, the SJ’s quality was inline with my Taylor 818 which has about as perfect a fit and finish as one could expect…another diff I can confirm is both SJ’s bridge pin placement is more forward then the j-45’s as I have seen stated on here before, and I guess that break angle does do something different as they build these that way for a reason….should I take any extra precautions with the fresh nitro, it’s a month old now and I have read nitros take a long time to fully cure, or just play and handle normally and don’t worry about it? Thanks for any advice, this forum has been great to read thru….

Beautiful guitars Dave, did they come with the custom inlays or did you have them done?…I like how all three on the bottom have diff bridges….yes I’m a bourbon man so it may find itself with a accidental drop or two on it sometime 

Edited by JB7

5 minutes ago, JB7 said:

Beautiful guitars Dave, did they come with the custom inlays or did you have them done?…I like how all three on the bottom have diff bridges….yes I’m a bourbon man so it may find itself with a accidental drop or two on it sometime 

One is a Kris Kristofferson model and the other is a Dwight Yoakam model.

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yeah, its a guitar - just play it.   But don't come back here crying because you left  your tuner or capo on for a week and  they left an impression in the nitro.  

Haha, yes I have seen those impressions before…the first jumbo I picked up that had flaw in sunburst the guy had left capo on it, could clearly see the impressions on headstock….been using the sound hole tuners lately, small foot print so if it leaves an impression, Ill prob be the only one who ever notices it…good advice on new guitar fortyearspickn….

On 3/3/2022 at 10:08 AM, JB7 said:

The salesman and myself were both genuinely shocked it came in so quick with a long backorder predicted, maybe Gibson was willing to deliver to this vendor sooner as they are a more reliable vendor, I don’t know but I’m happy with it (I can name the vendors if it doesn’t violate any forum rules and people are interested)….

Maybe we are being lied to about the great guitar shortage? To increase prices.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

24 minutes ago, Sevendaymelee said:

Glad you like the guitar. I have a 2020 which I love as well. 

Quick question though. What is that thing on the high-e side of the sound hole? 

That is a D’Addario sound hole tuner, is padded and slips on the lip, powered by a 2032 batt I believe, has a small color screen and two buttons that you see when looking down from a playing position on underside of sound hole lip, bought one, used it for a week and bought two more for my other acoustics 

Edited by JB7
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JB7 said:

That is a D’Addario sound hole tuner, is padded and slips on the lip, powered by a 2032 batt I believe, has a small color screen and two buttons that you see when looking down from a playing position on underside of sound hole lip, bought one, used it for a week and bought two more for my other acoustics 

Oh wow, that's pretty cool! I didn't even know those things existed. I might have to try one out. 

Edited by Sevendaymelee

On 3/4/2022 at 9:40 PM, fortyearspickn said:

Yeah, play it.  But you might also want to avoid getting  any chemicals on it. Or on your forearm.  Bug spray.  Sunscreen. Tequila.  

I usually dump a bottle of vodka (but not Russian anymore) on any new or used guitar I get just to break it in a bit.