Gibson Brands Forums

Don McLean - American Pie

IanHenry

Had this e-mailed through a Joe Bonamassa advert, I liked it so much I thought I'd post it here.  It's amazing how innocent the audience look's in 1972, different times I guess, but the song still holds up!

• Like 1

Sure, I remember when the song was the hottest thing on toast.  Everybody had fun trying to figure out who all the characters mentioned in the song were. 

And his overall performances inspired the eventual Roberta Flack hit "Killing Me Softly With His Song."  Which was inspired by a performance of McLean's the lyricist saw at the Troubadour.

First,  the lyricist Lori Leiberman

And Roberta;

And while we're on the subject of McLean, here's another favorite of mine----(talk about great songwriting ability)

Whitefang

I remember being on vacation on Pensacola beach in 1972  and the song was played on the radio. As soon as the song finished the DJ said that was so good he was going to play it again and then he did. It was the first and only time in my life that I ever heard that happen. Not even with the Beatles.

btw thanks for posting. I am going to a meeting in San Diego this weekend and am going to get together with a few other guitarists and do an acoustic jam for the after meeting beach party. I'll download these lyrics and we'll play this, not sure why I didn't think of it. Any other suggestions? 😁

Am. Pie has gotten to Stairway status to where I change the station when I hear it. Its a good song, just like many anthemic type songs are hard for me to listen to now. I'm getting tired of Kashmir and Bohemian Rhapsody as well. Of course there is the Free Bird and as big a Beatles fan as I am I loath Hey Jude.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

26 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Am. Pie has gotten to Stairway status to where I change the station when I hear it. Its a good song, just like many anthemic type songs are hard for me to listen to now. I'm getting tired of Kashmir and Bohemian Rhapsody as well. Of course there is the Free Bird and as big a Beatles fan as I am I loath Hey Jude.

Agree 90%, I still love Hey Jude and can listen to it any time.

I may be sick of Am pie but it is a great sing along with a group of people and doesn't require huge practice. Any other suggestions Sgt.? What would you play at a party?

2 minutes ago, Tman said:

Agree 90%, I still love Hey Jude and can listen to it any time.

I may be sick of Am pie but it is a great sing along with a group of people and doesn't require huge practice. Any other suggestions Sgt.? What would you play at a party?

Maybe Yes - Close To The Edge to get that perplexed look of WTF is this, and then when I want people to leave The Captain - Trout Mask Replica.

Singalong stuff.....Louie Louie, Stand By Me, Hi Ho Silver Lining, Honky Tonk Women, Everly Bros  and  Creedence numbers all come to mind....depends on the age group though.

[cool]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tman said:

I remember being on vacation on Pensacola beach in 1972  and the song was played on the radio. As soon as the song finished the DJ said that was so good he was going to play it again and then he did. It was the first and only time in my life that I ever heard that happen. Not even with the Beatles.

You obviously didn't grow up listening to New York City radio stations!

Saw him about 15 years ago and met him after in the Bar.  Fun show some great music and that sing alone is worth the price of admission...Goin to see him again May 1st.  Besides the music the one thing I remember is the show was at a nice hotel in KY owensburg I think..anyway the fisrt song ends and one of the elder gentleman yells : Its too loud turn it down".  Don without hesitation says " You are too ****ing old"..never turned it down.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Realmongo said:

You obviously didn't grow up listening to New York City radio stations!

What's funny is that I was with 2 New Yorkers at the time (My dad was from Brooklyn and it was with his friend's kids that were my age). They said it happened up there. Can't believe you said that.

19 hours ago, Tman said:

There you go. Great ideas! I'll add a song by Yoko. That'll get the job done.

Anything by Yoko will get people moving towards the door. I can listen to Trout Mask, Yoko I can not. Maybe some Velvet Underground too?

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I rarely hear either so if and when I hear "American Pie" I'll sit through it as I always liked it.  But when "Stairway" comes on I always switch the station because I never could stand that song.  Same with "Bohemian Rhapsody" and the live "free Bird".   And yeah, "Hey Jude" can be a grind.  I might listen for so long but will switch stations before that "never ending' ending starts.  [wink]

20 hours ago, Tman said:

btw thanks for posting. I am going to a meeting in San Diego this weekend and am going to get together with a few other guitarists and do an acoustic jam for the after meeting beach party. I'll download these lyrics and we'll play this, not sure why I didn't think of it. Any other suggestions? 😁

Actually, the only time I personally heard that done was back in '65 when a "race station" DJ played Roy Head's "Treat Her Right" back-to-back-to back-to-back because he liked it so much.  Idid too, so I was OK with it.

And as for acoustic "sing-a-long" tunes, me and some buddies would occasionally get together and do this tune---

And of course, we would take that advice.  [wink]

Whitefang

7 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I rarely hear either so if and when I hear "American Pie" I'll sit through it as I always liked it.  But when "Stairway" comes on I always switch the station because I never could stand that song.  Same with "Bohemian Rhapsody" and the live "free Bird".   And yeah, "Hey Jude" can be a grind.  I might listen for so long but will switch stations before that "never ending' ending starts.  [wink]

Actually, the only time I personally heard that done was back in '65 when a "race station" DJ played Roy Head's "Treat Her Right" back-to-back-to back-to-back because he liked it so much.  Idid too, so I was OK with it.

And as for acoustic "sing-a-long" tunes, me and some buddies would occasionally get together and do this tune---

And of course, we would take that advice.  [wink]

Whitefang

Great idea. Didn't he do "Sunshine"? Always one of my favorites from that time and very playable.

12 hours ago, Tman said:

What's funny is that I was with 2 New Yorkers at the time (My dad was from Brooklyn and it was with his friend's kids that were my age). They said it happened up there. Can't believe you said that.

It would happen until the FCC made it illegal because it was obvious they were getting paid a little extra for spinning it twice in a row.

On 3/8/2022 at 3:18 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Maybe Yes - Close To The Edge to get that perplexed look of WTF is this, and then when I want people to leave The Captain - Trout Mask Replica.

I am all for that..On that topic have you seen the current Yes line-up with Steve Howe and Alan white are gonna tour doing the whole album of CTTE. They released the Euro dates so far.   I have seen yes 14 or 15 times and with various band members and really thought I would not go again  but to hear that classic  Album, all of it..I may be in.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:46 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

+1

I never cared for Bohemian Rhapsody….

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Interestingly ironic ... we were all (with a few obvious exceptions) that young and innocent in 1972.   Additional comments seem to confirm the music did die.  Along with the innocence.  Paradise Lost, Milton?  

[wink]  Why ask HIM??

Whitefang

1 hour ago, kelly campbell said:

I am all for that..On that topic have you seen the current Yes line-up with Steve Howe and Alan white are gonna tour doing the whole album of CTTE. They released the Euro dates so far.   I have seen yes 14 or 15 times and with various band members and really thought I would not go again  but to hear that classic  Album, all of it..I may be in.

I kind of like the album and have a few copies.

5JM8gr3.jpg