Gibson Brands Forums

Life is not looking good for Tube Amps

John P

23 hours ago, Realmongo said:

Okay I broke down and bought a spare set of tubes for my VOX.

Loadsamoney?

I have 5 valve amps and my bag of very cheap half-used spares is still in the back footwell of the car. 

Suppose I better get it out and see what I've got.  I don't have the readies to retoob much at todays prices.

And I'm not gigging anyway.

Edited by jdgm

#BREAKING

Matthews appeared with a new press release, saying Russian issues have been resolved, AND is filling backlog PLUS is taking orders again, with the only downside being the Import Tariffs on the "receiving end".  So we can expect at least a +35% hike in prices for tubes. 😪

Source:
https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/electro-harmonix-solves-russian-tube-export-issues-prices-raised-tariffs-ukraine-conflict/

Edited by OrdinaryNimda

I originally got 2 matching 15w tube amps so I would have a backup in case one blew up, or needed one for a road map to repair the other, not to mention what they sound like together. In most cases I have found that using one is more than enough even outdoors. They both use  all JJ tubes which so far are still in good condition, even after 2 years of use.

S2YqRZ4.jpg 

Aside from my Fender and Blackstar tube amps (1 each) I have a Vox MV50 with the Nutube that does great with my pedals. I was just about to sell off the Blackstar anyway. My Fender is my main amp but I would be fine using the Vox, and I’m thinking about picking up a Quilter Aviator Cub or 101 Reverb. This seems like a great inflection point for the market to go big on alternatives to traditional tube amps. 

I have a stash of 12AX7s so should be good for awhile. But my PRS amp recently crapped out on me at a gig. I don't think it's anything to do with the EL34s but I don't know sh!t.

The guy who played bass with us used to repair amps and he has taken it but still hasn't figured it out. Luckily I have my BOSS Katana as a back-up. Maybe I should just give up on tube amps anyway since every one I've ever owned has had issues at one time or another. 

Edited by saturn
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saturn said:

I have a stash of 12AX7s so should be good for awhile. But my PRS amp recently crapped out on me at a gig. I don't think it's anything to do with the EL34s but I don't know sh!t.

The guy who played bass with us used to repair amps and he has taken it but still hasn't figured it out. Luckily I have my BOSS Katana as a back-up. Maybe I should just give up on tube amps anyway since every one I've ever owned has had issues at one time or another. 

Generally most Tube Amps can be repaired.. If you’re lucky it’s just a Tube..  Wait til your Digital Amp takes a crap….. Time to buy a new Amp.

2 hours ago, saturn said:

Yep, BOSS Katana covers a lot of ground. 

11 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Yep, BOSS Katana covers a lot of ground. 

It's  a good amp, but I basically keep it on the Clean channel and only use the Reverb on the amp. Although it has other built-in effects I use pedals.

• Like 1