Gibson Brands Forums

looking for something different

egoidealmusic

So, I've got my 50s J-45 that is my #1, and I got about 6 months ago a Recording Kind all solid wood parlor guitar (which is really fun to play) and I'm considering adding something new.  The J is the quinticential J--loud, lots of bass and stong mid-range punch.  The RK is just the opposite, super bright and sharp.  Both serve great purposes for different kinds of songs/styles.  Considering adding one more, and I'm thinking either either the 50s LG-2 or the L-00 Original.  Am thinking I want something somewhere between the J and the RK parlor.  Thanks in advance!

I would go with a Dove. Square shouldered maple should be different. If you’re wanting to stay with the mahogany I would go with the Hummingbird or L00. You could also look at the Jumbo shaped guitars. Starting with the smallest, CJ165, J180, J185, J200.  There’s more jumbo models but they’re the same body size as one of these. Plenty of variety. 
Personally, I’ve been liking the thermally aged topped guitars and I would get something from the Custom Shop Historic collection. 

Get an old Gibson mandolin. It'll drive ya nuts.

They have teeny tiny frets, super short necks, ya fret 2 strings at a time tuned up to a tension that'll rip the callouses right off yer fingers, and they are tuned upside down, backwards and in 5ths.

I love em'...

12 minutes ago, Murph said:

They have teeny tiny frets, super short necks, ya fret 2 strings at a time tuned up to a tension that'll rip the callouses right off yer fingers, and they are tuned upside down, backwards and in 5ths.

I love em'...

Yea.. that for sure covers the "Looking for Something Different" idea he has in mind!

I have a mando too,  easy to play, and master, they are not.   I'm amazed at what I see some dudes do on these.  I'll never get THERE but I'm finding my way with it.

Nothing else sounds like one either.

6 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I'm amazed at what I see some dudes do on these. 

I've seen Chris Thile several times, got him to sign mine (1933 Gibson that was owned by Scotty Stoneman). He knew who Scotty was and spent some extra time with it. Helluva player.

thumbnail_IMG_1165.jpg

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I love em'...

+ on the Mando. Get a good one, they’re easier to play. 

Bwahaha, just a couple of weeks ago I snagged a mid-1960s Kingston electric mandolin.  With its Mosrite-looking pickup and "Artist's Pallette" body (making it a dead ringer for an EKO-made 12 string Vox mando-guitar) the cool factor alone was worth the price of admission which was $100. But I do appreciate the opening allowing me to sneak this one in.

Geez though you have barely settled in with the two you just bought.  I have gone years without buying anything.  I guess my advice would be to keep an open mind whether it be about what moniker adorns the headstock or a specific model.   If you embark on a guitar hunt with preconceived notions about what you should buy you are just cheating yourself.  

OK, enough philosophizing.  That Kingston mandolin is calling out and daring me to take a stab at Ry Cooder's "Billy the Kid."

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Geez though you have barely settled in with the two you just bought.  I have gone years without buying anything.  

Me too, I guess my J-15 is my newest. Well, I did buy some Bose gear for gigging.

However, in this "strange new World" of shortages, high energy cost and lack of workers, perhaps it's a good idea to trade those dollars, which are losing value, for something with a real value.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Murph said:

Me too, I guess my J-15 is my newest. Well, I did buy some Bose gear for gigging.

However, in this "strange new World" of shortages, high energy cost and lack of workers, perhaps it's a good idea to trade those dollars, which are losing value, for something with a real value.

You just might have come up with one heck of a rationalization for buying a guitar given the times we are living in (or possibly sentenced to).

Oddly, my wife believes one of the reasons I do not find buying guitars near as much fun as I once did is it has gotten too easy.  Back in the day I used to have to figure out what I could trade in to get something new to me which would then initiate some serious haggling over the deal.  These days though I can pretty much just buy what I want with cash.  Maybe the warden is onto something.

With me though, there are some small shops out there which have me pegged.  I have actually heard from others that store owners would refer to certain instruments they recently acquired as "Woof Guitars." These guys know exactly what kind of instruments I am attracted to and not being able to afford to sit on inventory will waste no time to get in touch with me.  Not sure though if this is a blessing or a curse.  

Edited by zombywoof

Thanks for the thoughts, all!  I've got a mandolin and I just never play it--my hands just don't work with those little tiny frets and neck.  As far as guitars, I've found I really like the shorter scale for my style of playing, so I don't think a Dove is the way to go for me.  A Hummingbird though is another I'd considered.  I'd love to have an aged top, but those are really more money than I'd like to spend (though if I had it I'd do it in a heartbeat).  As far as something bigger (J-200 or the like) I've thought about it, but I find them a bit uncomfortable to just sit around and play.

You’ll have to pay attention to the details on any model you get.  Here’s a few variances I have/had of Gibson small bodies

’32 L00 Reissue/ long scale/ vee neck/ hog b&s

Nick Lucas L00/ short scale/ deep body/ 12 fret/ C profile neck/ RW b&s

Custom L00/ short scale/ 12 fret/ slim taper/  RW b&s / thermally aged top

’42 LG-1 / short scale/ C profile/ hog top b&s / naturally aged top 80 years old

I had a CJ165 RW / LG2 all hog/ L1 F hole maple/ ‘51 LG1

Happy Shopping!

Edited by Dave F