Gibson Brands Forums

L-00 standard 2022

Parafin

Hello people, I need an advice. Im thinking of buying L-00 standard new from a shop in Europe. I really like the looks, sound, and everything about it. My question is, is it worth 2800$ or 2400 Euros in Europe? My friends always advise me to buy Martin or similiar because they think Gibson has very "closed" and unpronounce sound, the problem is Martin in Europe is way more expensive than in USA, but Gibson has fair prices in Europe compare to USA. Also Im singer songwriter, and I mostly play fingerpicking, I intend to use the guitar to acompany my vocals. Is the l-00 only for blues and nothing else? Thanks for any advice.

18 minutes ago, Leonard McCoy said:

Whether it's worth "it" is only for you to decide. In my opinion singers/songerwriters should always go with Gibson over Martin.

clubsinger.png?w=1400&h=

Right no singer songwriters in history ever used a Martin. Utter trash those things. Certainly not Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, and CSN+Y. Those guys all had short insignificant careers in music.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Paul Simon plays D42 if I'm not wrong, but doesn't matter. This is my first Gibson, I'm used to mid-range sound I had parlors and one Taylor which had such a horrible high action, I was very dissatisfied. Now I'm gonna spend all of my money on one guitar, I'd rather have one guitar which I like or many which I don't. I also like that the L-00 has LR Baggs pickup. Just so you know the 00-18 cost 2999 euros, or 3200$ in Europe, and I don't intend to spend all that money on that.

I seen a 2022 white Script L00 up here. I think it was 36 cdn bound top ,unbound back . I liked the playability and sound of it.  I could not bring myself around to paying that type of money though   .  If it was a Legend series. That may have been different.   There is something about those Legends that have the take me home .

the small bodies are cool. 

Edited by slimt

24 minutes ago, Parafin said:

Paul Simon plays D42 if I'm not wrong, but doesn't matter. This is my first Gibson, I'm used to mid-range sound I had parlors and one Taylor which had such a horrible high action, I was very dissatisfied. Now I'm gonna spend all of my money on one guitar, I'd rather have one guitar which I like or many which I don't. I also like that the L-00 has LR Baggs pickup. Just so you know the 00-18 cost 2999 euros, or 3200$ in Europe, and I don't intend to spend all that money on that.

That's the thing, buy the one you like. My advice is get what you want in your hands to make the decision, not a online purchase.

I know what Martins cost. I've owned about a total of 15, and currently have 6. I've owned stuff form D-15's up to a D-41 and all manner in between. 

Paul has played all sorts of Martins through his career, and what he currently plays now he has neglected to email or call me to let me know.

I have a 00-18 that is a 2020 model that I own right now, and it cost me $2100 US (not sure how many Euros that is) and I got it last year, and I usually never buy new and the 00 was used.

You say the Martin is not cheap and you won't pay that price, but are they giving the Gibson away cause the price you quoted is less, but still  a lot of cash?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

No they are not giving away the Gibson, I only said that the price is the same in Europe as in US which I really like unlike Martin's which are way more expensive in Europe. And Im not saying that Martins are not good, and just saying that all of my friends say that 00-18 is better than L-00, and know it got me thinking because I don't have the money you do, at least not to spend on guitars.

5 minutes ago, Parafin said:

No they are not giving away the Gibson, I only said that the price is the same in Europe as in US which I really like unlike Martin's which are way more expensive in Europe. And Im not saying that Martins are not good, and just saying that all of my friends say that 00-18 is better than L-00, and know it got me thinking because I don't have the money you do, at least not to spend on guitars.

Better is an opinion. That is why I recommend actually playing whatever you want to buy. Play both and see, and I'm  sure the $400 difference will help you make up your mind. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Right no singer songwriters in history ever used a Martin. Utter trash those things. Certainly not Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, and CSN+Y. Those guys all had short insignificant careers in music.

I'd offer you an ointment for that soar spot you-know-where, but I fear we're out for the Martin-only kind-of guys (really, you're the only one we know) lurking, of all the places in the world, the Gibson forums and pouncing at everything even remotely Martin-related, and which no one cares about. I know these forums have become a final resting place for the undead, but... Perhaps the following can alleviate the pain?

Edited by Leonard McCoy

34 minutes ago, Leonard McCoy said:

I'd offer you an ointment for that soar spot you-know-where, but I fear we're out for the Martin-only kind-of guys (really, you're the only one we know) lurking, of all the places in the world, the Gibson forums and pouncing at everything even remotely Martin-related, and which no one cares about. I know these forums have become a final resting place for the undead, but... Perhaps the following can alleviate the pain?

If you will come over and rub it on where it hurts, I'm all in.  Like what I say about my brand, its an opinion, same as yours. There's no proof to what is better. Better is what is better for you. Just like that guy who wants a L-00 and his buddies telling him a 00-18 is better. The only facts in the thread are the price.

I would love a real Classical guitar. I should have gotten one when I went to Spain. I f'ed up not doing so.

1 hour ago, Parafin said:

That's the problem, webshop is the only option sadly.

Then you gotta take a leap of faith and pick what you think is gonna server you better.  Even over in the USA(where the two big boys of the acoustic world are made) its hard to find guitars in stores right now to put in your hand that aren't made over in the Far East. For some reason though Taylors seem to be abundant. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

All the Gibs and Martins mentioned have a place and a voice, and I love my 80 yr old  L00s, but if I was putting out money for the smaller Martin, I'd jump over the 00 and go to 0 (I did this swap), as Martin wisely added a quarter inch of depth to the 0 body, which really fills out the small bod tone.  Having one G and one M is the ideal, covering small bod territory nicely.

There are modern age L00 players here who can do a good job of reviewing.

I still associate Paul Simon with a Guild F30.  Guess I am a bit behind the times there.

When I started playing in the 1960s everybody told it was a Martin that I needed.  Skip on forward to the 2000s and I kept hearing that if I did not at present own a Taylor I would.   Yadah, yadah,  yadah, so on and so forth.  

Buying a guitar ain't near as hard as splitting the atom.  What it generally comes down to particularly when buying sight unseen is having a good frame of reference, so you know this or that moniker on the headstock holds out more promise of a guitar which will work for the way you approach it.  Granted though that can involve a somewhat steep learning curve so sometimes a leap of faith is the best you are going to get.

As to price tag, even though I am the biggest cheapskate on the face of the earth and I am not saying pick this guitar over that, an additional $400 is not near enough to get in between me and a guitar I really want,

How is a L-00 guitar just a blues guitar. I thought it was an acoustic one.  Is a D-28 only for Bluegrass? Jimmy Page didn't think so. Its a blues guitar if you play blues on it. Last I checked Buddy Buy plays a  Strat, and it is a guitar not really associated with The Blues. The guitar makes the kind of music you play on it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 minutes ago, Parafin said:

Because everyone always play blues on L-00 and describing it a a blues guitar. 

Oh, I guess everyone is right then.

Is that what you play, and I guess if you don't play blues the guitar is off the table cause everyone says the only use for its the Blues.

Are you trying to talk yourself in or out of buying it?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Get the one where you like the "looks, sound, and everything about it". It will make you deliriously happy.

A year from now it will be worth 2000, and five years from now it will be worth 3500 - but it will become priceless to you, and that's the part that matters.

Sorry I’m late to this…. I was over at the Rolex site telling everyone that my Timex keeps perfect time.

To answer the OP’s question   “Is the Gibson L00 worth  2400 Euros?”   Yes. Because people are buying them at that price.  
You didn’t ask if it’s worth that TO YOU, fortunately, or you would have gotten a lot of silly responses.  

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

To answer the OP’s question   “Is the Gibson L00 worth  2400 Euros?”   Yes. Because people are buying them at that price.  
You didn’t ask if it’s worth that TO YOU, fortunately, or you would have gotten a lot of silly responses.  

Most people don’t come here and ask if it’s worth it to them. They want someone here to make up their mind for them. With things like strings or guitar picks who cares if you get bad advice, what’s the most your out, 50 cents to maybe $20? But plopping down a few grand is an entirely different matter. I gave him good advice, but he said he can only buy online, and not put the guitars mentioned in his hands, well then just make sure there is a policy to return it if it’s not of his liking.

I got a nice Mondaine pocket watch when I was is Switzerland. It’s not a Rolex but it does the trick. Came with a cool red leather case.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper