Gibson Brands Forums

Fuller's J-180 with Star Inlay / Double Pickguards

It's probably Fuller's made-to-measure order that has come through as a (small) batch now.  All things considered the price isn't half-bad. I particularly like the figuring of the rosewood fretboard of that example you linked to.

This is mine:

3GhwR51.jpg

This is his:

Edited by Leonard McCoy
  • Like 1

I seem to recall watching a old clip with the brothers sporting j180 size Gibsons with J200 appointments , with the star inlays.        I also seem to recall another  with even smaller versions. Like the L1 size 

On 5/26/2022 at 9:16 AM, Kwlsky said:

What do you guys think about all that pick guard material dampening the tone? 

Likely some impact, but having owned 3 newer ones and currently a 1963, honestly, it's not a guitar where you pick it up and think "there's some tone dampening happening here."  If it's a dud, it's not b/c of the pickguards.  

19 hours ago, groovadelic said:

On 5/26/2022 at 10:16 AM, Kwlsky said:

What do you guys think about all that pick guard material dampening the tone? 

Likely some impact, but having owned 3 newer ones and currently a 1963, honestly, it's not a guitar where you pick it up and think "there's some tone dampening happening here."  If it's a dud, it's not b/c of the pickguards.  

We’ll, that’s a great case for pick guards not having that much affect on guitar’s sound.  Always a controversial topic. 

I had a 1994 J-180 with the double pick guard. I don't think they were using the Everly name at that time. I did not care for the sound but in my opinion it was the thinner body causing the issue. I've always liked the looks of them. I would rather had the thicker J-185 or larger J-200.

I had a cherry red J180 which was lovely. Really balanced and recorded very well. I didn’t particularly think the pickguards had a damping effect, but the guitar had a resonant node around the third fret of the bottom E which bothered me no end. I traded it for my ‘95 Dove a few years ago and have zero complaints as I love my Dove, but if the J180 hadn’t had the wolf note at the G I wouldn’t have parted with it.

• 3 months later...
On 6/1/2022 at 11:47 AM, Jinder said:

I had a cherry red J180 which was lovely. Really balanced and recorded very well. I didn’t particularly think the pickguards had a damping effect, but the guitar had a resonant node around the third fret of the bottom E which bothered me no end. I traded it for my ‘95 Dove a few years ago and have zero complaints as I love my Dove, but if the J180 hadn’t had the wolf note at the G I wouldn’t have parted with it.

That might have been fixable. Probably the usual suspects like the electronics, tuner posts or even the output jack, the latter being more often the cause than not.

On 5/31/2022 at 2:26 PM, Kwlsky said:

We’ll, that’s a great case for pick guards not having that much affect on guitar’s sound.  Always a controversial topic. 

I don't buy it. Gluing two huge thick pieces of plastic to the place on your guitar that is supposed to vibrate must have an affect of tone. 

Tons of stuff has an effect on the tone of a guitar such as: what material  is your pick made of, are you fingerpicking, do you play with your fingernails, what gauge and type of stings are on the guitar, scale length, nut and saddle material, is it a 12 or 14 fret guitar, how you attack the stings vs some other guitar player, is the guitar 60 years old or 2 years old, what wood is the guitar made from, does your guitar have a rounded plastic back, and certainly are there two huge pieces of plastic glued to the top.

You guy discuss this stuff here to ad nauseam, yet refuse to believe two massive guards have any effect on tone. Seriously.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

That might have been fixable. Probably the usual suspects like the electronics, tuner posts or even the output jack, the latter being more often the cause than not.

I think we’re on different pages here-I mean a resonant node as in what is often referred to as a “wolf tone” or “wolf note”, which is the nodal frequency of the entire instrument, which-if it is the frequency of a particular fretted or open string note (in the case of my J180 this was around 92hz, or G played at the third fret of the bottom E string) causes a resonant phasing/phase cancellation effect where the note and the resonance of the guitar cancel each other out, making the note itself sound like a “thunk” or “bonk” with very little to no sustain/tail to the note compared with the other notes around the fretboard. 

This can be tuned out to some extent-all instruments have a nodal frequency, but a properly built guitar will be tuned to have the node “between” two fretted notes, so as to not affect the guitar’s usability when tuned to concert pitch. This is done by adding or subtracting resonant mass-this can be accomplished by adding ballast to the top or scalloping braces to lighten the top. This moves the node down (by adding weight) or up (by reducing weight), effectively shifting it out of the way if it falls on a fretted note. 

I did try this with my 180-adding brass pins and a soundhole pickup helped to some extent, but the nodal frequency was unusually wide on that particular guitar and I couldn’t find the sweet spot with it. 

I’ve never sold a guitar based on a rattle/buzz and so forth caused by loose hardware or braces-I spent several years working as a guitar tech so am like a bloodhound with that sort of thing and enjoy the challenge of isolating and solving problems like that 🙂

17 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:
How many tickets has Dave Matthews Band sold?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOo1fJeJHZtbvyFnUQi0Z
25 million

As of 2018, the band had sold more than 25 million concert tickets and a combined total of 38 million CDs and DVDs. Their 2018 album, Come Tomorrow, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, making DMB the first band to have seven consecutive studio albums debut at the peak.

You certainly stand in the minority with that opinion. 

34 minutes ago, Kwlsky said:
How many tickets has Dave Matthews Band sold?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOo1fJeJHZtbvyFnUQi0Z
25 million

As of 2018, the band had sold more than 25 million concert tickets and a combined total of 38 million CDs and DVDs. Their 2018 album, Come Tomorrow, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, making DMB the first band to have seven consecutive studio albums debut at the peak.

You certainly stand in the minority with that opinion. 

I don't care how many albums/tickets he has sold. His music sounds like C R A P to me. His voice is annoying. Why do people get wrapped up in how many albums/tickets someone has sold. In this day age what does albums sales mean anymore or ever did. The Velvet Underground sold 4 albums when they were together, and they are in the R N R Hall of Fame. Their music is S H I T too, but they are in the Hall. Whats your point about sales. Taylor Swift has sold millions too, are you a fan of her's. I'm not. The Grateful Dead at the end of their carrier were one of the biggest touring act of the 90's, and people hate their music.

I can't account for how many like his fake jam band music.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I don't care how many albums/tickets he has sold. His music sounds like C R A P to me. His voice is annoying.

Oh.   I see. 
When artists are really popular. And most people love their music…..they actually suck when you don’t like them. 

Your opinion only represents one (unfortunately, very crabby)  person. 
But please continue. The rants are very entertaining. 

• Like 1